Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeds

first_housemp Update??

Lauraeds
9 years ago

first_housemp, I'm dying to see how that stone hood/wall and the rest of your kitchen are coming along!! Any update or photos?

Comments (30)

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

This week was all about painting... painting everything GREEN! Oops by the paint company. Big oops by them!

The painters started painting and I kept thinking "This has such a greenish aqua undertone!" They said, "Don't worry, things look different in different light and after the second coat".

By the second day, I peered into the XL bucket of paint labeled "SIMPLY WHITE" and it simply was NOT white. I was absolutely sure it was not Simply White by BM. I have painted more than 4 homes Simply White and I know I can tell the difference between Dove White and Chantilly Lace and Simply White. It was GREENISH!!!!! I had a bit of a stamping of my foot, being very adamant that it was not Simply White. After looking at the real swatch that is Simply White and comparing it to the vats of paint.....it was clearly not Simply White. It was a very light aqua green called Seafoam Green that was spec'd for a bedroom. The paint company had made a very big booboo and wrongly mixed ALL of the giant buckets with a greenish tint and yet labeled them all Simply White. Three more days of taping everything and re-painting. Sigh. I felt bad for the painters. The looks on their faces as they realized that it ALL had to be redone.

Absolutely NO PROGRESS on anything else this week. I guess some days are like that. Thanks for asking though, lauraeds....in the next two weeks there should be some appreciable progress. Exactly four weeks from yesterday I move in and I think there should be huge progress in the next few weeks. I wish wish wish that my stove backsplash and everything else had something to show.

I am especially hopeful that the hidden pantry will be great. That not coming in for at least three weeks though. My "little gem" should be the library. The crazy carpet and brass hardware are another one of my "design visions" which should cause some bifurcated opinions. My sister has already commented "80's! It's totally 80s to use brass!". The world is filled with so many viewpoints (hahaha she giggled gleefully at her black and brass library!).

• isabel98
    9 years ago

Brass is in...I'm sure you know that:)

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I'm amazed how well some of you seem to roll with the punches!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

OH NO about the paint - thank goodness it was their mistake and not yours. I haven't heard anything about the library, crazy carpet and brass hardware. Looking forward to seeing!

For some reason I mentally select a 'Kitchen of the Year' from GW. Last year, LittleFishies made the spot; this year, belongs to you already : )

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Builder brass ruined good brass for the masses.

I'm really excited to see your home, too. I remember when you posted the find and everyone was aghast that you were going to leave your OTHER beautiful home!

• Lauraeds
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update firsthouse_mp ! Can't wait to see it, and I can't wait to hear about the library - I have a very traditional , beautiful wood paneled library that I would love to funk up a bit.

firsthouse_mp , I'm finishing up a new kitchen (well, new kitchen in what was the old garage!), and your pictures from the last project (I think?) have been a real guiding light for me. Many thanks!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Yippee! Huge progress this week. Things flying along at lightening speed as we move to the finish line in only a few weeks......

Hood (still no covers on the exposed screws yet as I haven't found the exact right ones and they haven't clipped the ends yet)

Breakfast Nook:

Island:

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Wowza! It's going to look amazing when it's finished!

I feel bad for the painters with the high ceilings and all. All in a days work, I guess. LOL

• romy718
    9 years ago

Wowza is right! The black windows look & doors look fantastic. I think you'll have to come up with another name for the breakfast area besides "nook." Nothing nookish about it. So happy for you that everything is coming together & so gorgeous.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Romy, I have to chuckle because I had the same thought: "nook??? seriously???" . LOL.

Firsthouse, how stunning. I really love the black windows/doors & the skylights. What an inspiring space - the kind of space that feels like it could actually bring a lot of positive energy to its inhabitants.

The boxy fixtures really work too. I'd be worried about glare though - are you mitigating that somehow?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow - that is absolutely amazing!
    Keep those pictures coming!!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

What a nice bright kitchen. I'd love to have all of that light to work in. The lanterns above your island are perfect, & I love the light fixtures in your breakfast dining room! I can't wait to see what's going underneath them! The hood could not be more perfect! Actually, the whole kitchen is perfect! Would you mind sharing the paint color on the island? Thanks for the update pictures. Cannot wait for the full reveal.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

bicycle: The island is BM 1614 Delrey Gray. I uploaded a few pictures from yesterday that are a bit clearer in another thread started by berardmr.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

firsthouse, i love everything! particularly drooling over your windows. can i ask what hardware you used on your kitchen cabinetry?

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Oh. My. Heavens.

What magazine is going to feature this house? Put me down for a copy ;)

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Very ho hum hardware (she said sheepishly...) It's TopKnobs Square pulls in various sizes. Ranging from $5-$10. I lust after things much more expensive and artsy pulls, but in the end, throw my budget into space and other areas, so usually cannot splurge on pulls.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

feisty: Please don't look directly at the lights and hate the glare....look at the beautiful buffet with double refrigerator and wine steward...look at the pricey lighting that I pained over....look at the un-green paint that I demanded to be re-painted when I was SURE it wasn't Simply White...look at the amazing slab of marble on the hood that took moving heaven and earth to accomplish.

I hope and pray there's no glare because I have no mitigation plans (uh oh).

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I'll be looking at it all and not hating a thing ;) . I do love the exposed bulb look because of the drama and sparkle. I'd probably want it on a dimmer though, if that was an option.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

And brass is back :) . Just please find me modern 12" brass pulls that don't require me to sell one of my children.

CRAZY wrong-paint story. Unbelievable.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That's the breakfast nook?? I thought it was the entry.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

The foyer....

The door that is a Nana door copy is the side of the house leading to an outdoor porch and entertainment area. We are going to fill in the yard with bushes so that you can't see the neighbors' houses.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Very ho hum hardware (she said sheepishly...) It's TopKnobs Square pulls in various sizes."

Ho hum or not, they look great. I really liked them in your first kitchen, too, and ended up using them in my own (thanks for supplying pictures for me!). After checking prices on a few places online, I called a local kitchen and bath store whose prices were significantly lower. I'm pretty happy with them.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

firsthouse, is the color on the cabinets also simply white?

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Yes, they are matched to Simply White but the cabinet maker has a stock color they call Swiss Coffee and it does match the BM Simply White: http://www.4pct.com/products_paintcolors.htm
    The walls are also painted Simply White.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Good morning firsthouse, thanks for this teaser picture! Did I miss a full reveal? It looks like the screws in the hood are flush to the marble now. Did you cut them flush & call it a day or did you top them w/ a cap? It's kind of hard to see in this picture. You have such a stunning kitchen. Your whole house needs to be highlighted in a magazine. You're an inspiration to many!

• agk2003
    9 years ago

thanks for responding! cannot wait for your reveal:)

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Looks wonderful! I am waiting to see those bathrooms!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

What a treat to see that hood! Can you show me that big round object to the left of the range, what is it? I'm looking for just the right decorative thing for my backsplash.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

an over the top idea that turned out beautiful and understated, I can't wait for all of the picture, nice job.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

Firsthouse, can you tell me what finish your cabinets are? We are trying to decide between satin and eggshell