Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinky

Renovating a 1920 Pullman Kitchen

splinky
15 years ago

Hi there, I wonder if anyone here has tackled renovating a pullman kitchen. This particular pullman is in an alcove that is 30 inches deep, 7 feet wide and 9 feet tall. I've got to fit a fridge, range, microwave, dishwasher and sink in that space. The plan is to be able to close doors in front of the kitchen which is located along the wall of the large livingroom. I'd love to see any pictures and hear any suggestions. I have alot of ideas but I figure you all may have some better ones. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• User
    15 years ago

I am bad with names but I know there was one imparticular of a tiny NYC kitchen that was gorgeous. There may have been 2 . Did you look on FKB for tiny kitchens ? Also Google images for pullman kitchens. Good luck. Caroline

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I found this one on google. It looks like it may be 8' though. You could fit an 24" fridge, 24" wall oven with a 12" or 24" induction cooktop above it, 18" sink cabinet (albeit that's a small sink) and 18" DW. The advantage of using an induction cooktop with an oven under it instead of a range is that you get to use the surface as counter space when not using all of the burners. Diva de Provence makes a very nice product in this size. Liebherr and Summit make nice 24" refrigerator/freezers. You can find out more about small appliances on the appliance forum. This is an interesting challenge. Good luck.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

There is a IKEA kitchen in IKEAFANs that is an efficient, creative, artsy use of a small space. It may give you some ideas...

Here is a link that might be useful: JOERG 67

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• splinky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

many thanks so much to everyone for your help! your suggestions, photos and sketches are wonderful and most helpfuland appreciated. i'm excited about taking on this project.

bmorepanic, which design application did you use? i love that you can add notes and that it has smaller appliances included.

many thanks to all!

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

I don't have one. I just use ms paint.

• splinky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've pretty much decided on using the 24 inch 10CU FT Liebherr fridge and a 24 inch viking gas range. I'd love to fit a 30 inch range but am not sure if I can fit a sink over a 24 inch dish drawer or if it's better to go for an 18 inch dishwasher and a very small sink. Would love to hear thoughts on this and any other suggestions for space planning. I'd like to make this small kitchen alcove as efficient as possible. Thanks

• pamela928
    15 years ago

splinky--if your budget allows, how about the 27-1/2" Cormatin range by Lacanche? A nice compromise in size, almost any color you want plus stainless and black and more positive feedback than Viking on these forums. (Do a search on the Appliances Forum to learn more.)

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Ok, well, GE make the little devil dw below. You get a slightly larger sink and dw.

Bluestar also makes a 24" version, if that helps, as does american range, bertazzoni, capital, delonghi and fisher paykel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Under sink dw

• Helen Steinberg
    8 years ago

Here's an idea from a NYC apartment I just visited. You could go totally contemporary or just use the layout idea and use design elements that reflect the era of your apartment. Since you have height in the kitchen think of upward storage. I would have used more wall cabinets and a built in microwave with exhaust fan. The trick is slim 24" deep refrigerator (SubZero 700/IT-30CI), 18" dishwasher, and 24" oven. At least one induction cooktop helps keep the kitchen cooler.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

*sigh*

Helens1951 - this thread is over 7 years old - do you really think Splinky still needs help?

When you post on an old thread like this, you push people off the first page who actually need help today!

I looked at your page and you appear to be a Pro - we had issues just after the Hozz takeover with pros self-promoting by pretending to help, but most seem to have gotten the message...you are welcome to help people who actually need help TODAY, but...

• Do not self-promote or troll for business
    • Do not link to your commercial, or similar, site

While other parts of Houzz may be for pros to self-promote, this site and the other GW Forms are not.