Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebse_gw

Can I see your subway tile backsplash?

ebse
14 years ago

I wish I could post pictures, but I don't have the equipment right now. Plus, nothing is installed. We will have white-ish, recessed panel framelss cabinets and jet mist honed counters. We are going for a simple and hopefully timless look. I know I want 3x6 subway tile on our backsplash, but i have really no idea what material. I'd love to see the look in finished (or nearly finished) kitchens.

Many thanks.

Comments (26)

• teppy
    14 years ago

heres a couple of mine. my 3x6 subways are honed marble made by sonoma tile in "cashmere".
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Mine's hand-painted ceramic from New England Art Tile in a pale yellow:

• roulie
    14 years ago

we have a soft green ceramic subway tile with a crackle finish in our almost finished kitchen. They are 2.5" x 5".

• bluekitobsessed
    14 years ago

These are my classic (aka basic, cheap, and boring) white Daltile subways from HD. I didn't want anything to compete with my blue granite. Before adding shelf above range:

After:

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Great subways!

Teppy can I ask you a couple question about the focal tile behind your range?

What is the size of your hood? About how big is the focal diamond tile? BTW, I love Sonoma tile and I'm going to look at some of their tile today.

I'm going to have a custom mosaic behind my cooktop with my subways, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how big to make the mosaic and how much frame to have.

• teppy
    14 years ago

my hood is a 30". My mosaic with the frame and liner is 24"x18" total. in figuring mine, i decided on my subways and went from there. i knew that i wanted a couple of rows of the subways to surround my mosaic.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Thanks Teppy! Thank will help me a lot, I will have a 42" hood. I really like the proportions you used.

• ebse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the great postings!

Bluekitobsessed-- your tiles look great, certainly not boring. Really beautiful.

Teppy--I really like how you were able to use marble and it doesn't compete with your granite.

Roulie--I love the crackle. Is it sturdy, or do you need to be delicate with it?

• ebse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

circuspeanut, is there a link to the place that you bought your tile? I love the color variance.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Bumping for circuspeanut....I'm interested in where you got your tiles too. I've been out tile shopping again today and still haven't found one I like. Blue subways are not that easy to find!

• roulie
    14 years ago

ebse: I have only had my backsplash for about a week so can't speak to its sturdiness, but I wasn't told (by tile store, installer, or GC) that it was particularly delicate. The only thing was that it needed to be sealed before it was grouted, apparently so the grout color doesn't seep into the crackle.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

here's mine. It's tumbled travertine 3x6 and honed limestone mosaics. We just grouted it today still a little wet and hazy.

• jen19083
    14 years ago

Here's mine. It's marble.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

ebse & becktheeng: I got the tile from New England Art Tile up here in Maine. They're hand-glazed for that subtle color variation in the glaze. (It's hard to capture in photographs, so I'm glad that aspect came through.) I love the guys there, who treated me very well, so am glad to do a plug for them. They also have lovely period art nouveau & victorian tile murals:

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

The only drawback is that the field tiles only come in 6"x6", so I had to cut them all in half for the splash (it's just tedious, not as bad as it sounds, and they're perfectly squared off so the edges are even).

But there is an extremely similar tile made by Solistone that does come in 3"x6" in virtually the same colors, and has a number of really pretty borders and decos. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solistone Mission Tiles

• prill
    14 years ago

circuspeanut - can you tell me where in Maine New England Art tile is? I don't see anyone in Mass. that carries that tile. Is that the name of the store you purchased from? I'd love to see if I could send for a couple of samples. Any idea how much per square foot the plain and also the art tiles are. I wondered how you got subway when it says they only come 6 x 6. Thanks Priscilla

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

circus- Thanks for the info. I found a tile that I like that is a 5x5...maybe I'll have to have that cut to get a 2.5x5.

Hmmm. Love the tiles you linked to.

• Bunny
    14 years ago

These are all so beautiful.

Just curious...for a slide-in stove, how far down the wall behind the stove does the tile go?

• katiee511
    14 years ago

linelle - we haven't had ours installed yet. When the tile guy came to take measurements, he said it would go behind the stove, even with the line of the countertops. That way, no worries about the back edge of any replacement stove. HTH.

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

I found New England Art Tile in Scarborough, ME.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Art Tile

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Actually, there are several places throughout Maine that make handmade tiles. NEAT is one of the best, though.

• reedrune
    14 years ago

Hey - Here's mine, which is 2x6 from the Tile Shop. I liked the dimensions - most of the tile I looked at was 3x6 or 4x8.

Also, our counters were put in first, then the tile. Since we just did tile behind our stove, and beadboard everywhere else, our counters would have had to have been notched out weird to run the tile behind.

• ebse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These are all great! So many nice options...

Jen, your marble is beautiful and very subtle. Can you tell me what kind of marble it is?

Reedrune--very cool. I love the result.

• amykath
    14 years ago

This is polished marble

{{!gwi}}

://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2071341470088553401VwVIqp">;{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1596005}}

• charlikin
    14 years ago

Mine is porcelain tile. (Tiny kitchen, can't get any good "head-on" shots. ;-))

{{gwi:1579756}}Â Â Â Â {{!gwi}}

• jen19083
    14 years ago

ebse - thanks! it's honed calacatta marble.

• wakefieldremodeler
    13 years ago

This message is for roulie: Who makes your green tile backsplash? I am looking for a soft green like that for my bathroom walls.