Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Gooseneck Faucets- More Splashing?

marvelousmarvin
11 years ago

I was reading some reviews for gooseneck faucets, and I noticed a pattern of complaints about splashing.

Has anybody had those problems? Is it a problem with every gooseneck faucet, or just certain gooseneck faucets?

Do you think splashing would be a problem with this faucet:

I'm a bit worried because another faucet from the same manufacturer, the Hansgrohe Allegro E Gourmet kitchen faucet, seems to suffer from problems with splashing.

Just looking at the two, I don't see the difference as to why one would have a problem with splashing and the other model wouldn't.

Comments (17)

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I have the hansgrgrohe Allegra and have not noticed a problem with splashing. I have a very shallow sink also which is not long for this world

• Bunny
    11 years ago

It depends on where in the flow and at what angle you enter the stream, plus the shape of the object. I'm learning to avoid splashing. It's a process. I have to be careful spraying around the upper edges of my sink. One degree off the right angle and it's all over, know what I mean? :)

• raenjapan
    11 years ago

Mine (different model) does splash more than a traditional style faucet, and it bugged me at first. What I've found, though, is if I'm rinsing a bunch of stuff, I can pull it down lower into the sink and that reduces the problem. Being able to have it hanging down where I want it with the spray on is really awesome, and makes up for the splashing.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Yes, many factors, including sink depth & material, water flow, angle, etc. But our 1st goose neck (can't remember model), was a bottom of the line pull down sold in big box stores - actually loved the faucet, but we could not regulate the force of the spray, so lots of splash. We switched out to an American Standard goose neck pull down, still not too expensive (around $300 I think?) and the spray is noticeably softer, no matter the water pressure - no splash.

We are appliance challenged here, but I bet there's got to be a way to adjust the pressure in the faucet itself? No idea. But, consumer reviews did cite people's reports of less splash, and that was a selling point for us.

• oasisowner
    11 years ago

We have the faucet in your picture and have not had any more splashing than with our old faucet. We do have a very deep sink.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I think if you have really strong water pressure like we do, you will have splashing. It does help to pull down the faucet.

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What's considered a deep or a shallow sink? I was just updating the kitchen, and I'm planning to just keep the sink I currently have.

And, if you do experience splashing, is it mainly when you're using the sprayer?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Dont' have time to look up the article on GW - but not too long ago there was a a great post on faucets with a link to a nice article.

I thought the faucet should squirt into the drain to prevent splashing but since have been educated.

The major cause of Sploosh is when the water hits a directional object such as the drain or divider.

I just installed our faucet (with a little help from the plumber - ok, total help from the plumber...) and no Sploosh. Ours is center mounted over the drain but the stream hits in front of the drain.

If I want it to go directly into the drain, I just pull the head down and let it dangle. This one is counterbalanced, so stays wherever I point it.

Waterstone PLP 54000

Poohpup has a different model of the Waterstone (which is gorgeous!)

PS - we can add Sploosh to our made up kitchen dictionary words from another post.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

A deep sink is usually 9 to 10" in depth or more. If undermounted, you can add another inch to that number.

We'll be mounting our faucets today/tomorrow as soon as granite installed and I'll be able to give you some feedback on Brizo Talo faucets in two different sizes. Our sinks range between the above numbers and are all undermounted.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Somehow I feel like creating a thread - Faucets and Sinks - that could go in the sort-of readme thread "New to kitchens?" I think there may be a pull-out vs pull-down link in there, but I think we'd all benefit from a thread that gave specifics on faucets and sinks and gave a bit of information.

For instance:
    Faucet?
    Reach/height above countertop/height above sink bottom
    Sink - brand, material, dimensions, whether single/double and depth
    Grid yes/no
    Ease stream to spray and back again. Does it reload as "stream" every time it gets turned off? Or does it stay as "spray" if that's how you left it? (Peeve of mine. I ALWAYS want "spray." Rental faucet defaults to "stream." Not too easy to switch to spray from stream.

How about the topic: "Just because it's pull-down spray doesn't mean it is gooseneck?" The faucet I'm considering is pull-down but NOT goose-neck.

Anyone up for this?

Bean

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

yup that is the one
    Thanks

• davidro1
    11 years ago

I say yes to writing a faucet fact thread.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    11 years ago

I have tested many faucets with regard to splashing. I have found that a quality aerator is the key. If you want to test a faucet, turn it on full stream and put a pot under it with the bottom facing upwards. The water should not splash at all. The water should hug the pot.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

This may help explain the splashing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Kitchen Faucets Splash

• elyash
    11 years ago

drbeanie2000 - go for it!! Its a great idea.

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm a bit confused. What's the purpose of the aerator- do we really need it? Is the aerator causing the splashing or reducing it?

In the link above on why kitchen faucets splash, it blames the splashing on the aerator and recommends replacing it. But, when you google faucet aerator, wikipedia's page says that the aerator reduces splashing.