Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dibdot

Cabinet pulls revisited - specific question, please help!

dibdot
9 years ago

Hi all, I know I am new here but believe me when I say I have trawled through ALL the archives of threads on cabinet pulls but am still unsure about my decision!!

We are about to do our kitchen reno with white shaker cabinets. So far these are my decisions re hardware:

- Using Amerock Kane handles (no knobs)
- 128mm pulls (for 145mm overall length) for all upper and lower cupboards and bin drawer
- exceptions to those rules are the small cabinet over the fridge (96mm), pantry, and tall storage (the latter two will have 160mm pulls)

I will have two stacks of 3 drawers
- 1 stack 36" wide - for this I will use double 128mm pulls
- 1 stack - 30" wide - HELP HELP HELP!!!

My question relates to the 30" stack:

1. Do I use 2 pulls?
2. If I do, would it be better to use use 128mm for uniformity, or could I use 96mm, which for me looks to be more proportionate? (my eye likes the "rule of thirds")
3. If not, would it be weird to have single 128mm pulls on the 30" stack but doubles on the 36" stack, especially since there is only one stack in each width?

The stacks are not on the same side of the kitchen - the set-up is a U shape with the 36" stack under the pantry on one side, and the 30" stack on the end of the U on the opposite side.

I suspect my dilemma relates largely to the fact that there are only two stacks in total.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

This post was edited by dibdot on Tue, May 13, 14 at 6:24

Comments (12)

• romy718
    9 years ago

I used Schaub pulls, 5 1/8" or 130mm (4"CC). I used two pulls on both the 30" & 36" drawer stacks, one pull on all the smaller sizes. There are no hard & fast rules - whatever is pleasing to your eye.
    Edit: 30" drawers in pic

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 8:38

• dibdot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Romy, your kitchen is beautiful!

My main issue is whether there is "enough cabinetry" in my small kitchen to make the variation in pull sizes acceptable to the eye. There are only 2 stacks of 3 drawers, 13 cupboard doors (inclusive of pantry and tall storage), and a bin drawer.

If I had a bigger kitchen with more cabinets and drawers I would have no qualms about mixing up handle sizes, it's about whether it will look off-kilter in a small kitchen context.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

dibdot, I have a small kitchen and just finished installing pulls in the sizes you are using .... 128mm on all the upper and lower doors except above the range hood and fridge where I used 96mm. I used a 160mm on the larger lower door of my pull-out pantry. I used 96mm on my two 12-inch drawers, 128mm on the rest of the drawers except my largest drawer under my microwave where I used a 160mm.

I also have shaker cabinets. Your small kitchen will look great with the variety of sizes ... I think you'll be very pleased.

Can't help you with the two-pull situation because I don't have any large drawers so didn't have to make that decision.

Good luck!

• julia42
    9 years ago

We have a small kitchen and debated the same thing. In the end, we went with all the same size and I'm so glad we did. Our kitchen is small too, and I think everything looks well-balanced with the same size pulls. My thinking was also that using the pulls vertically on the cabinets would be all the variation my little kitchen could handle. I don't feel my single 96mm pulls look too small on my 30" drawers. Although I did use bar pulls which were pretty substantial and long. Later today I'll try to post a photo.

• dibdot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Romy/ thanks for the edit; my handles are 140mm (128mm CTC - they do not have prominent feet like yours although still a classic style) and your pic of 130s on a 30" is very reassuring; I think 140s would look fine.

@Julia: thanks for your input! I thought about doing a single 160mm CTC pull on both stacks but for my taste they just looked a bit short. It's one of those situations where if I were moving into the house and there were single small handles on pot drawers, it wouldn't bother me, but it eats me because I have the choice, IYKWIM?!

@jellytoast - I suspect you and I have a very similar preference in proportions! I would have chosen the same size handles as you for narrower drawers and would love to see a pic of your kitchen, particularly to see the proportions on the cupboards with the 128s on uppers and lowers and the 160 on the pantry. Could I trouble you for a pic?

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

didbot, sorry, but I am without means to take a picture at the moment.

I could NOT make up my mind as to whether or not I should use the same size on the upper and lower doors, but I based my decision on the advice I received here. My pulls are fairly simple, Top Knobs square pulls.

Check out this thread and you can see some examples of using one larger pull on big drawer banks. I went with the same pulls that firsthouse_mp used, but she used the 96mm on both upper and lowers. My uppers are taller, though, and DH and I agreed that the 96mm looked too small.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help me escape blue tape hell

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I used 5 inch pulls except on my pull out pantry and tall caves. I used all pulls
    36 inch with 2 pulls
    30 inch and less one pull.
    I didn't want too many different sizes in the kitchen.
    If you want different sizes- check out Badgergal's kitchen.
    I almost abandoned ship to go with Badgergal's plan until she knocked some sense back into my noggin.
    On phone - but feel free to look up A2gemini final reveal.

• dibdot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@jellytoast - thank you, that was one thread I hadn't seen (probably the only one, lol)

A question for you all: our house is Edwardian but the interior would best be described as "transitional" - not period but not particularly modern either. I envisage the kitchen to be "transitional" too - white shaker cabs, keeping the existing rough slate tile floors, Caesarstone Urban benchtop (mid-grey), SS appliances. Are double pulls going to be too ye olde worlde? The pulls will be satin nickel as I felt antique pewter or antique silver did look a bit too traditional...

I do definitely want to use double pulls on the 36" stack but this is a purely financial decision. 5" pulls are $5 each, whereas 10" pulls (which is the size I'd use on 36" drawers as a single) are $100 or so. Even 8" pulls are $55 - which is what I'd use on the 30" drawers if using 10" on the 36" drawers (does that make sense?) so the cost really does add up in the scheme of things. We plan to sell the house in about 5 years' time and since I like the double pull look as well, $ definitely comes into it.

This post was edited by dibdot on Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:29

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I used 4" pulls on all drawers, with knobs for uppers and the 2 lower doors. I went with a simple style, RH bistro. My stacks are side by side at about 30" depth (fridge wall), so it's like a wall. By the time I got to that section, I was tired of my beloved-symmetry, and mixed it up. Top 36" small drawer has a single pull; other larger drawers have 2 4" pulls. Single pulls on adjoining stack. Doors had knobs from same collection. I like it.

• dibdot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@a2gemini: I have looked at pics of your kitchen before and it looks great! You had more drawer stacks than I will, though. Can I ask - if you had just the two stacks, would it bother you that the 30" stack had 1 pull and the 36" stack had 2? I feel like each stack needs a friend, if that makes sense - that given there are only two stacks, they should be the same, particularly as there is only 20% difference in width between them?

• dibdot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've decided the best solution is to order a heap of extra pulls in the 128mm and 96mm CTC sizes - I suspect I'll use the same size on both stacks, in doubles, but need to figure out which will be better.

Thanks for the input all!