Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Fine Homebuilding Kitchens

marvelousmarvin
10 years ago

Does anybody read Fine Homebuilding magazine? Are they a good source for design and information about kitchens?

There' a couple of articles in their archives that I'm interested in reading, namely the article, 10 Ingredients of a Great Kitchen.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/ten-ingredients-great-kitchen.aspx?nterms=62276&ac=ts&ra=fp

If anybody has access to that article, what are the 10 things in this list? If I know what they are, I can get an idea how useful that article will actually be.

I'm a bit reluctant to sign up and pay to read through their archives because my computer has some spyware on it so I'm a bit hesitant to give them my credit card information. But, I'll take that risk if the information in the archives is really useful and thoughtful.

Comments (22)

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Visit your local library. They will give you FREE access to several databases with full access to periodicals. I'm sure Fine Homebuilding is in one of them.

• mulemom
    10 years ago

Kind of an old school suggestion, but you might try your public library. Do you know the date or number of that edition?

Re Fine Homebuilding in general - great magazine, I have subscribed from the beginning. Though they do have an annual Kitchen edition, kitchens are not a major focus.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Their annual Kitchens issue is interesting because the focus is on custom builds and they don't reflect the editorial content of most home design-decor magazines, which tends to be pretty similar across the board.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I like them, but usually only find an article or two that pertains to me.

When I need power tool reviews, I do check with them, also with their Handyman publication. It's geared more to me, Harriet Homeowner.

Fine Homebuilding is just that: Home. Not kitchens, so if you're really focused there, it won't work for you much. Although it's always interesting and they have good tips.

• User
    10 years ago

I love all the Taunton publications, have been a Fine Cooking subscriber for 15 or so years, and loved the late, great Inspired Home from Taunton. Fine Homebuidling has a lot of tips, tricks and techniques for the average/ above average DIY'er to the pro homebuilder and not many kitchen specific pieces (tho they have some to be sure), however, you may be asking about their Fine Homebuilding Annual Kitchens and Baths issue or their annual Fine Homebuilding Houses (or is it Homes?) issue, both of which appear on newsstands about now IIRC. Not cheap, but great, in depth articles and pics of unique, often high end kitchens, baths and homes, with usually nary a OTK in sight.

If the article you seek is from a K&B special issue, I probably have it, do you know what year it's from? If I have it I'd be happy to scan and post.

sandyponder

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The article was from 2006. If you have that, I'd really appreciate it if you could scan and post it for me.

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

There's a good chance I have it. Do you know what month it was? I'll look later today.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

From Fine Homebuilding 183
    pp. 40-45 October 1, 2006

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

OK, I found it, scanned it, and saved it to a pdf. Photobucket won't upload pdfs, so now I'm a little stuck. I'm happy to email it as an attachment to you marvelousmarvin, or to anyone else who wants it. I just need an email address.

And I was happy that my own kitchen met most of the criteria! : )

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Arlosmom - do you have Dropbox? It's a free storage site (you can link it to multiple devices you own to have access to and share the link with others for anything you have saved in there easily. I use it all the time when I need to send large photo files out to clients.

Once you load it in there, you can share the link here so that those of us interested in it may download it. It will only remain available for download (of course) while you keep it in your Dropbox so if you delete it out, it will not be available for anyone else to download. And, I would be interested in seeing it, particularly since you went to the trouble of scanning it in. :)

In the interest of full disclosure, the link that I've provided below will give me extra storage space in my Dropbox as well as give you bonus space. I don't receive any sort of financial gain for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dropbox

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

no, I don't have Dropbox.

• springplanter
    10 years ago

As a teaser for those who want to get in touch for the whole article from arlosmom, the ten ingredients are:
    1 natural light
    2 central location
    3 zones for cleanup, food prep and storage
    4 high quality equipment and finishes
    5 the farmhouse kitchen table and the modern island
    6 a mix of countertops
    7 the garden connection
    8 glass doors and lots of drawers
    9 seating areas
    10 lighting and personality

Happy planning everyone!

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Way to violate copyright.

• eleena
    10 years ago

Not a copyright violation if the source is referenced and not reproduced but summarized. :-)

Otherwise, ConsumerSearch would have been in trouble a long time ago.

The Dropbox thing would be though (not that I would personally care). LOL

According to the summary, I got everything except for island but I have a peninsula as the kitchen is not large enough to have an island. Also, not a farmhouse table but a table nevertheless and open shelving instead of glass doors as I have no uppers. Yay!

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

I don't want to violate copyright law. I actually hadn't had thought of that. I just viewed it as copying the article from the magazine at the library minus the car ride. My almost bad (almost, since I haven't sent it to anyone).

Springplanter gave you the list above; the rest of the article flushes out those ideas and has some nice pictures. It's a good article, but no earth shattering new revelations. In general, I like the annual kitchen and bath issues from Fine Homebuilding. They're always a good read.

• peged
    10 years ago

The issue you want seems to be the Kitchens and Baths Issue from 2006 which can be ordered from www.tauntonstore.com for $4.50.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taunton

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

If you want to be totally legal since this article was a 'subscription only' article you Arlosmom since you are the one with the subscription can write to the publishing company and ask for permission to reproduce the article for a colleague.

However like I said before the article could be had with a library card by either visiting the library's periodical database online or a visit to the actual library.

Information professionals are awesome. ; )

• eleena
    10 years ago

Arlosmom,

You are right, making copies for personal use and sharing with a few friends would be like making copies in library and wouldn't be a violation. For example, my sister copied a few pix from her ID books or magazines and e-mailed them to me to see. We live in different states, how else would she share them? That's not a violation.

Reproducing for publications or any other "commercial" use without their permission might be.

You were falling in the first category so you were fine. However, sharing the entire exert on the Internet would blur the line and might make *someone* unhappy, iykwim. But if you e-mailed a copy to a "couple" of friends, I don't think anyone would go after you, LOL.

• eleena
    10 years ago

"If you want to be totally legal since this article was a 'subscription only' article you Arlosmom since you are the one with the subscription can write to the publishing company and ask for permission to reproduce the article for a colleague."

Seriously?

I don't think I need their permission to lend any of my magazines to a friend for "personal use". Furthermore, professors make copies from books and give to their students.
    All of that is OK as long as the material is not mass-distributed, isn't it?

Otherwise, libraries wouldn't exist, would they?

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

Seriously? Yes.

You question the legality of the issue with libraries so I will tell you. Libraries PAY a lot of money for the use of these publications, and that is with the understanding the libraries can redistribute the accessed material. When you use the library databases you may not sell any articles or publications because that is stealing.

There is actually a very fine line when it comes to copyright infringement, and if you were to have any questions it is best to question the specific company. They may have anything from very strict copyright rules in which they will come after you (think about the mp3 sharing lawsuits from a number of years ago) to Creative Commons (which is very cool, and if you don't know anything about it I suggest you look it up).

Actually when I was studying for my MLS my professors wanted to set a good example so they did indeed contact the publishing company for the right to distribute material in class. Seriously.

However all of this is very fussy, and I'm not a stickler for giving an article I paid for to someone else. That is up to the owner, and you have to give them credit either way for considering the situation.

• marvelousmarvin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried the library which didn't work.

I had already gone before looking for that magazine, but they didn't carry it. Even if they had carried the magazine, they wouldn't have carried that issue because its an older issue and it seems the only old magazines the library keeps are Vogue issues for whatever random reason.

So, I tried using the library's databases for periodicals and I couldn't find it either. I waited in line at the circulation desk for 15 minutes to ask somebody for help, but that person couldn't help.

It meant either:

1) This person didn't know anything about these databases which could be possible because I didn't know about them either before this thread.

2) The library doesn't have enough money to pay for access which is also possible because the library is obviously cutting back to save money. The library is saving money by installing a scanner for you to check out books instead of having somebody do that. And, there was only that one person working the circulation desk with nobody working at the information desk.

• debrak_2008
    10 years ago

Not all libraries are the same across the country. It appears yours is not as high tech as others.

Suggestions,

See if you can sign up for an online subscription to finehomebuilding magazine. If so, make sure you can access achieves.

Order the issues you are most interested in.

Every few years our county wants to reduce library funding and a small group of residents go crazy. Since we have a small but very devoted group of library supporters our libraries have a ton of resources including online access and much more. Its sad to hear that everyone doesn't have the same.