Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmb808

DesignCraft vs. Innermost Cabinets

RMB808
9 years ago

Aloha from Hawaii Everyone!

This is my first post here on gardenweb. I stumbled upon this wonderful forum researching Kitchen appliances for our current kitchen remodel. Long story short, it was was either Wolf/ Sub Zero, Viking, or Thermador. I initially wanted to get Viking because of the different color options. However, after reading through the comments on gardenweb and recommendations from two different appliance stores here on the island, Viking has its issues with reliability. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are Viking owner's out there that never had a problem with their appliances. In the end, we went with Thermador because of their current promotion giving us a better bang for our buck. If we wen't with Wolf/ Sub Zero, we would have to omit the beverage center and induction cooktop and go with an electric cooktop.

Now on to the cabinets... So, I hired a designer to help me with the Kitchen Remodel. I wanted a modern kitchen with textured veneer cabinets. Sadly, the cabinet company he represent's don't have any. He also said that textured cabinets are pretty hard to clean.

We chose the door style Bella in quarter swan cherry, natural finish
http://www.designcraftcabinets.com/bella
and these options:
4- 4" slide out trays
Knife Drawer insert
Drawer organizer A
Stainless Steel Tilt out Tray (on sink base for sponges)
Grocery Bag Storage
Sink Base Organizer
Lazy Susans in base corner and wall corner.
Custom Quote Dog food cabinet.

All together, the quote came out to just under $30,000.00 with his design fees and taxes. I nearly fell off of my seat! I thought my appliances would have cost more than the cabinets!!!

Through further research I found out on garden web that DesignCraft and Innermost are from the same company, Elkay. The only difference is that Innermost is sold in big box home improvement stores. I've heard nothing negative about Innermost Cabinets on here. From what I'm reading, these two cabinet lines are the same quality in craftsmanship and offer a lifetime warranty.

Am I missing something in differences?

I went to the Innermost website and found out that their selling the same cabinet style in the name of St. Lucia.

Would it be cheaper if I went with Innermost or should I stick with DesignCraft.? What would you all do if you were in my shoes.

HELP!

BTW, I' also attached photo's of what the kitchen will may like. Keep in mind that the fridge, dishwasher, and beverage center will be panel ready in the cabinet style. I also omitted the wine storage for a work station for me to file paperworks etc.

Comments (7)

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I can't speak to the cabinet brands but find out exactly how much they are charging you for those inserts and specialty items. Usually it's a fortune and you can add them after market for way less and just as good if not better quality.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I'm near the end of the design phase with Innermost and an HD KD. That price sounds high given what you've got...for the cabinets. I don't know the design fee your KD would charge and if you will have to pay it regardless of whether you pull the trigger with him/her or not.

We'll likely be somewhere between 55-65% of that price for ours. We'll end up with 22-24 cabinets with a few custom pieces. Included in that are 4 base cabinets that are drawers (more expensive), 2 tall cabinets (expensive), 5 cabinets that are modified in one dimension (adds to the price), a custom cabinet over the fridge (which it looks like you'll need too from your pics...I can't believe they don't have a standard cabinet for that...skeptic in me says that's by design to get more money because they can), a convoluted arrangement around our washer and dryer (still being worked out), and some custom panels for our island (still being worked out.)

Your St. Lucia QS Cherry veneer is slightly higher than our Maple Kendall. (I know, because we started looking at St. Lucia and switched.) But it's not crazy-higher like the bamboo or exotic veneers.

The down side with doing it the way we're doing it is that our designer isn't as familiar with Innermost as she is with the other lines they sell, so I'm doing a lot of questioning and answers aren't immediate. We've been in this loop of designing for a couple weeks (few weeks?) and each time I think we've got it nailed, she or the GC or DH or I come up with a 'yeah, but...' and we make more changes. We've DEFINITELY invested a lot of time. (Especially me, but anyone reading here 'gets' that part of it. I think it's the nature of someone who seeks out this forum.)

I'd love to kick things around since we're in the similar boats.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Don't know why, but this was a duplicate from my earlier post.

This post was edited by cal_quail on Tue, May 6, 14 at 19:29

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

30K in Hawaii doesn't sound all that bad for that. I'd exect prices to be 30-40% more than the mainland due to the higher COL and shipping.

• RMB808
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank-you everyone for your input!!! I really do appreciate the time you took to reply to my post!!!

I went to Home Depot tonight to check out the Innermost Cabinets. I showed the sales lady what I had and she stated by looking at what I wanted, it would cost around 15K to 20K. However, I would need to to bring in the rest of the dimensions she's asking for to give me a final price quote.

She stated that for the dog cabinets, the contractor that I hire would have to do the cutouts for the bowl? I've always thought that the cabinet factory would be able to cut it out?

She then quoted me 10K to 20K on gutting out the kitchen, electrical, plumbing, installation of cabinets and appliances, etc.

This seems like a pretty good deal! However, would you recommend furniture board or plywood?

Oh the decisions to make.....

• kimotee
    8 years ago

Old post, but thought I'd comment since we are also in Hawaii and compared the two cabinet lines. We did use Design Craft rather than Innermost because of the range of custom features available and the extent of designer services we used. I am a retired builder, and did the prelim design and all of the installation myself. We also wanted a dog cabinet, and found we had to do our own working with this company. Our cabinet costs were about twice yours, but we have a large kitchen, and included the same line of cabinets for a laundry/hall/ entry area and two bathrooms. The quality and build are exactly the same. Our costs in Hawaii range from 15-30% higher than the mainland. At this pricing level, it is worth getting a quote from a local custom cabinet builder since any site issues can easily be worked out with the shop if there is an installation problem. We had to use a custom shop, anyway to make cabinet modifications where there were oops made by the designer. At one point the guys in the shop said, "You should have come to us to start with." Most custom shops do not have a designer, but they are very good at working with an experienced installer/owner. I've used American Cabinetry in the past, but they have decreased their custom work, and increased their sale of high grade stock cabinets.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022