Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludy_2009

Help! Pics of Bay Windows ASAP Please!

ludy-2009
14 years ago

We are nearing the end of a kitchen remodel. I was planning to do built-in seating in the bay window, but now I am not certain. The window was too long to place a counter in front of it (the window is long and goes below counter height)-- seems the only option is seating but not certain I want to follow the contour of the window. Does anyone have any interesting suggestions/photos of seating options or other ideas of how to treat a bay window? All surfaces in the kitchen are counter height. If we build in seating, the height will be a departure from the height of all other surfaces.

Comments (9)

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I have a room off my kitchen with
    windows below chair seat height. The windows
    are beautiful but the room is not functional.
    I toyed with the idea of taking these tall windows
    out so I could expand my countertops.
    They are not bay but it is the same issue of trying
    to find a way to make them work. Not block them
    and decorate with them.

Here are some pics of bay windows. It is a quandry
    you are in. Best of luck

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This is my kitchen. Before the Renovation.
    It is an eat in area. Not a bay window but the
    idea of windows on all side. You can see how low they
    are to the ground. The expense of taking these windows
    out to put in counter height windows was not worth
    it. And my family does like being able to sit and
    play cards in a room with windows around.
    A nice breeze in the summer from all sides.
    {{!gwi}}

• ludy-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

boxerpups-- WOW. Thank you. Yes, that is exactly the problem. We thought about cabinets also, but not only would it have been expensive, we would not have been able to match the exterior of the house. To make matters worse, our kitchen is on an angle, so while we have plenty of room on one side, we are closer to the island on the other. In addition, it is a second story window -- in the back of the house, where the kitchen is located, the basement is at ground level -- so we cannot extend the windows out. Not sure what to do. Thinking about making the built-in round.

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

I'm taking my bay window...much like the one in boxerpups 5th picture and rasing the bottom of the windows a few inches so that I can get a banquette seat with a little bit of a backrest.

• franki1962
    14 years ago

Here is our bay window in the kitchen (Anderson 30 degree bow)

and

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Here's one I did a few years ago:

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I really like what PrestonBeary did.

Ludy, Thinking about your idea of Round.
    It would be truly amazing.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I had pretty much the same problem as you: Tall bay windows at the rear of the kitchen, on the 2nd floor of the house. My original plan was to do a built-in banquette but I ditched that idea at the last minute. As you will see in the photo below, my NYC galley kitchen is small (which drives me even more vigorously to use every inch of it)! I feared that if I ended up not liking the banquette when all was said and done, the functional and financial costs of a built-in would be too great. That's when I opted for more flexibility and less expense and decided to create an art deco style "Paris Bistro" in the space instead. Now, my little bay window area does double duty as my in-kitchen dining space as well as my TV/internet lounge spot. Here's a photo:

• ludy-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to all! The pictures have been very helpful. Some beautiful suggestions.