Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
updating_gw

Cabinet Hardware Color & Style

updating
9 years ago

For a long while, I have liked these Amerock Inspirations finger pulls and cup pulls because they seem simple and easy to clean.

I planned to use all the finger pulls on the doors, and the cup pulls on the drawers. However, I have tall pantry cupboards, and the finger pulls would be too small so was thinking of this style handle for just the two pantry cupboard doors.

I bought a few of the cup pulls on ebay just to look at the color and now I'm not sure what I think. What do you think about this color hardware with my warm gray cabinet? I felt like pewter would be too much gray / too cold, and I don't want black (ORB). Add in that the existing hinges are an antique bronze, and I was leaning toward a bronze to warm things up. I prefer the weathered / rustic bronze. New counters will be travertine silver formica. It's mostly gray, but has a taupe cast to it, so not completely stone cold.
{{!gwi}}
My floors are provincial brown, which is a mid tone brown with very subtle gray undertones.

Also, what do you think of the cup pulls. I'm sort of tired of cup pulls because they seem like a big trend lately, though these are a bit different from the trendy ones I see. Now I'm wondering if I should find a simpler handle and do the same handle on everything. I don't really care for knobs but do like finger pulls. There are no holes in the cabinets yet so there is some flexibility.

I'm also wondering if I should go for the plain version (no leaf pattern) though I remember thinking they were too plain when I saw them. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Comments (11)

• updating
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot, I'll also have a granite counter "New Caledonia" on my island, and a window sill in the same granite. This is mostly gray, but has a little brown in it.

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

To me they don't seem to play nice with each other. Just like you said your cabinets are "cold" and hardware "hot" if you will. The picture I think looks fantastic but the brass seems to be brighter and the gray grayer KWIM? Your cabinets seem to have more brown in them. Can you take a picture showing more of cabinet/hardware? Sometimes when you look at something up so close it's hard to get a true feeling, if you will. I think your selections are beautiful and it's all going to turn out nice whatever you decide.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

From what I see on my screen, I dont like the color with your cabinet. Maybe its different IRL. Not sure what to suggest if you dont want silver tones or black. Other than color I like the pulls. Good luck!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I don't like the pulls or the color with the oak. Were you planning on mounting your pulls on the door panel instead of the rail?

What have you purchased already? I would take a step back and get some help from the good people here to help you pull everything together. I wouldn't mix formica and granite, and you probably shouldn't use two different countertops if your kitchen is small to medium. The oak has a strong pattern too, which the gray may accentuate. I don't think the counters complement each other as they will both read as solid, so they better be a great color match. So this is shaping up to be a very busy look imo.

• renov8r
    9 years ago

I also think they don't go. The cabinets are a pinkish tone and the pulls are a yellow tone. I would go with classic smooth pulls without a pattern with a more modern vibe, since I think the cabinets look more modern.

• updating
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Counters and cabinets are purchased. Just deciding on the hardware (I only bought 7 cup pulls on ebay for about $25). The travertine silver is a a large pattern with a honed finish (textured and very matte) with quite a lot of white. The picture above shows the entire counter top. This pattern repeats every 12 ft to give you an idea of scale. The granite is a tight speckly pattern with some shimmery spots and is glossy. The granite is also significantly darker

Here is a photo of the cabinet with my floor. I don't have any more photos right now because the kitchen is all apart.

I have similar color cabinets in my laundry / mud room and they have brass hardware and it looks nice, but this room has a more streamlined hardware. I'm thinking the cup and finger pulls have too much visible brass surface area, so make more of a clash. I'll look for a thinner handle and a more rustic brass, with the pitted black spots. This is the look I prefer and it also tones down the gold. Any good hardware sources?

I would put the door pulls on the rail (frame) not the panel. The drawer pulls would go in the center. I would probably put the pulls on the vertical part of the door, while the drawer pulls would be (of course) horizontal.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I do like those pulls, but not for your color cabinets. Since you don't want black or ORB, how about weathered nickel?

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

AH Turf is were I got mine. They were very helpful and also gave me a bit of a discount (i bought 53 pulls i think!). Went through a few different samples, so it was a process. They were nice and responsive. Definitely call if you have questions.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

Agree with others regarding color. Like the finger pulls, but feel with your wood that a clean line rather than design on them would look better. My cup pulls are similar in color to the one posted, a darker weathered gray. Perhaps called weathered pewter. But no design other than they have a simulated screw on each side with the same finish.

Be aware of hardware which appears to have a "finish" on them, rather than solid. The finish will wear off with use if it has not been done well. I'm not sure how one could test the finish for this.

• updating
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was a Lowes tonight, and found this in stock pull. It is very solid and is smooth on front and back so would be easy to clean. The color is "antique brass" and has more silver and is not as gold. I really like this color with the cabinets, and I like the size for the drawer because though 3" center to center, it extends either side so appears 5" long. I think this would look better for the drawers, but am not so sure about the doors. Would 5" be too long for a vertical door pull (on rail not on panel)?

Here are the corresponding knobs, but they look too small to me.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I don't really love the brass color with the gray cabinets and counters either. Others are more knowledgeable than I, but the brass seems to be a warm color, best used with browns, beiges and gold tones. Your cabinets and counters are in the cool tones - I think the brushed nickel/weathered pewter colors would work best with them.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!