Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

My bulb is not lit - need nook lighting help!

babushka_cat
11 years ago

Perhaps it is due to decision overload and remodel burnout?

I cannot seem to come up with ideas for lighting for my breakfast nook. I need to select 1 fixture (ceiling mount, centered above bistro table and chairs). GC going to loose patience with me - I need to get something ordered!

I purchased a pendant light and it was too small and did not look good. It is now riding around the back of my car ready to be shipped back to Amazon.

:(

Any suggetions from the pros? Pics of space below. Nook is very petite - 75" wide. Will have bistro table and 2 chairs, roman shades in window. It looks out onto garden so do not want something to bulky that it blocks the view too much. Any suggestions?

Comments (51)

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Babushka,

Earlier this year you posted that this was one of your inspiration photos. What about a fabric shade like the one in the inspiration photo?
    You would perhaps need a smaller size that the ones in the picture.

{{!gwi}}

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Would this work? I love the linen and polished nickel together...

Here is a link that might be useful: Probably can source it cheaper somewhere else

• francoise47
    11 years ago

What about an inexpensive rattan pendant?
    Maybe it doesn't seem like the obvious choice for your marble and polished nickel kitchen.
    But rattan feels compatible with victorian (your table) and would draw us out to your beautiful garden.
    It would also connect to the warmth of your butter blend backsplash tile and inspiration photo.

{{!gwi}}

Another idea from Currey and Co:

{{!gwi}}

A few more formal (too formal?) ideas from Circa lighting based on your inspiration photo that don't capture the warmth/rustic charm of your inspiration photo:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you so much for your help - i need it!!!

objectves for this fixture:

should be in keeping with the rest of kitchen but is the only light fixture (the rest are recessed lights) so needs to be a good choice as it will stand out just because it is the only one in the room.

should be in good scale with rest of room. the space is small, entire kitchen is 11x13, this space 75 inches across.

initially i thought a polished nickle lamp would be good but now think maybe not as the bsse of table is black and there is so much nickle everywhere else perhaps something different to mix it up.

am a bit worried that my table is viewed as victorian, just wanted a bistro table look. thought it would be good for such a small space, am considering these chairs (not that color, but style), will this look ok or out of keeping with rest of kitchen?

http://www.tkcollections.com/bistrochairs_tables/chairs/matignon/

the light i ordered that i plan to order is as follows:
    Hudson Valley 4201-PN-444, Adjustables Mini Cone Pendant. it seemed way too small.

thanks again, i am liking the suggestions already!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Rats! I was pulling a post together with a number of fixtures and then lost it before I was done.

Anyway there was a simple white cone shade with satin nickel finish. Or one made of white petals. A number of them were with art glass so you could add a new color to the space or just pick up on the gold walls. You could also go with something really fancy with crystal.

Or you can pick up on the lovely table base with something modern and yet ornate like this...

Huge selection at lighting universe.com.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Similar to the lamp you returned, the BTC Cobb Rise and Fall lamp.
    The luminous quality of the BTC porcelain china lamps is so beautiful:

{{!gwi}}

Another BTC china pendant, comes in several sizes, perhaps all too large for your space:

{{!gwi}}

For Babushka (but not for your kitchen, alas):

{{!gwi}}

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL birdies!
    love all the selections!
    the ones i am responding to so far:
    new rise and fall
    currey and co
    simple rattan

do my table and chair selections work or do i need to reconsider that choice? table from craigslist, chairs not yet ordered.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I love the bistro chairs with the table in your kitchen.
    The rattan chairs will add some nice texture to your tone-on-tone kitchen.
    For a small space, picking a blend of white with honey/gold/dijon color for the rattan chairs might work well.

One more (perhaps too pretty/pricey) idea from ABC home:

{{!gwi}}

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

What about this semi flush mount. Lots of light with 3 - 75 watt bulbs. I think it would look good with your wall color as well. I'm biased because I just ordered one of the sister pieces to replace my breakfast room light. Love your kitchen.

bee- love that light site and pinned one of their pendants. Pretty stuff and not too spendy.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

What about this semi flush mount. Lots of light with 3 - 75 watt bulbs. I think it would look good with your wall color as well. I'm biased because I just ordered one of the sister pieces to replace my breakfast room light. Love your kitchen.

bee- love that light site and pinned one of their pendants. Pretty stuff and not too spendy.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

No help with lamps (pretty much all recessed lighting in our home), but a cheeky acknowledgement of your beautiful girl kitty on the bistro table. :-) I would eat at your table any day, and I really wouldn't care if you didn't deep clean/sterilize/fumigate it right before we sat down to eat! LOL

On-topic, there are some nice lighting choices posted above! I like a lot of them!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Francoise--that last light you posted--details please.

Sorry mine posted twice, btw (as I grumble about iPad).

• francoise47
    11 years ago

It is lunch break -- a little more lighting shopping for Babushka cat...

From Arteriors the Osgood:

{{!gwi}}

For redlover:

Here is the info about the clear pendant with flowers I posted above:

It is available through ABC Home online:

sku: 819489
    inspired by an antique french and italian sensibility, canopy designs is devoted to creating beautiful & elegant lighting with great attention to detail and an unparalled quality. hand-painted branches with soft colored flowers surround a smokey glass orb for a bright, natural look. 14"w x 11"h, 1 edison light.
    $664 (Yes, that is correct!)

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Red lover- I like that light! Do you have a link for it?

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

francois47
    OMG, that one with the flowers is to die for. i need to check that one out.
    OMG.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Corgimum--here's a link. I saw this light, well "lit" on Houzz and it's really pretty. I got the same one only longer for my breakfast room. I got the Mission Bronze finish.

Oohh Francoise--yes it is a little spendy for one little bulb, but oh so pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacey light

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ah, spendy it is. trying to rationalize it, might not be able to.... also a special order, would take another month to receive. but so lovely.

keep the ideas coming, they are all appreciated!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Re the flowery globe: since you would only need one,
    I think one could find a way to justify it -- perhaps as a work of art.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes, that was what i was thinking! :) are you my long lost sister, were we separated at birth???

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cat mom,

forgot to include a reply to you. i was thinking the same thing! note how jasmines bum is firmly planted on said table... :)

yes, it will be cleaned, and oh i love her so, she can sit anywhere!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Another one that is much less expensive,
    made by Chehoma, available at Decoetcompagnie.com.

"Storm lamp by Chehoma in aluminium, then covered with copper and then covered with nickel ( looks like nickel overall)"

Dimensions : 40cm x 36cm x 36cm.:

{{!gwi}}

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Another one that is much less expensive,
    made by Chehoma, available at Decoetcompagnie.com.

"Storm lamp by Chehoma in aluminium, then covered with copper and then covered with nickel ( looks like nickel overall)"

Dimensions : 40cm x 36cm x 36cm.:

{{!gwi}}

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

That one looks nautical. How do you find this cool stuff!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

How to find cool stuff? Like all of us, wasting time on the internet!
    And going through my own search for a pendant for my breakfast nook last Fall.

I always loved the Juliska Amalia pendant in dotcomgone's often referenced GW kitchen. I could see if hanging low over a breakfast nook bistro table.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

I'm with you - how do you find this cool stuff, francoise!? You got great taste! Everything you posted was like yes, oh I like that, oh maybe that one, no that's my fave! Babushka - your kitchen is so pretty, any light will do.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

Funny you posted this...I did not select any lights (only the can lighting) and I too will be putting in the banquette and table and also wondering..hmmm, what do I put. I've been falling in love with the drum shade light lately.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

ummm, for some reason the new image options didn't pop up..

sigh

Here is a link that might be useful: Drum Shade light

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Here's mine

Again Kichler Lacey collection

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Thanks for the iink, Red Lover. I think I like the light you chose the best. The mission bronze color is speaking to me! Please post pics when you install it.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks all for the suggestions. so far really loving the globe with flowers but need to percolate to see if willing to spend that kind of $. also not totally sure it is right for the room - is it too frilly? i like that it is so transparent and think flowers ties to garden beyond the view, love the finish. found a couple other ieas, would be intereted in your opinion:

http://www.circalighting.com/details.aspx?pid=3538

i like this one as it brings the linen texture in, ties the black of the table base in, seems simple and classic. worried it could be a bit too big and bloks view of garden as it is not transparent. also get a lot of sun through the window, may bake in the sun and fade the shade pretty quickly?

http://www.circalighting.com/details.aspx?pid=136

love the birdies on this, but more expensive than the flower globe!?!? is it too cute? all black fixture too black? lantern look good there?

http://www.curreycodealers.com/productgalleryhome.aspx?CategoryID=-20007
    fenchurch pendant #9149

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Babushka,

I'm posting pictures of the three wonderful fixtures you found so that others can easily weigh in on the nook light.

1. The Circa Ralph Lauren Marselle (below) does seem like a good riff on your inspiration photo. I like it a lot. It seems like you can't go wrong with it. And I wouldn't worry about it blocking the view. You still have plenty of view. It comes in three sizes. I wonder if the smallest size might be best for your nook? The small is 12" wide and the shade is 10" x 12" x 8 1/2". The medium is 18" wide.

{{!gwi}}

2. I also like the Fenchurch from Currey and Co a lot!:

{{!gwi}}

3. The Petite Diego lantern is very cute and could work. I want to see someone on GW use it! But I worry a bit that it would call too much attention to itself in your calm, harmonious, and almost minimal kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks francoise47,

thank you so much for posting the pics for me! i know how to post my own pics but cannot recall now how to post external pics. how do you save the image to photo bucket?

i agree with your assessments, think the last one is too dark. Of the three I found think the first one is my preferred one. But am also considering the round globe with the flowers. Of those two, which do you prefer? The globe is like a work of art. Is it too frilly? The Ralph Lauren one is a classic. Not sure....maybe the kitties need to weigh in...
    :)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I like the first one too.

Another technical question if it's ok Babushka.

Technical question for Francoise. I use iPad. I save picture to my iPad--then put picture on photobucket---then post picture.

Do you know if I can eliminate a step somehow?

Thanks!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Corgimum-yeah, I'm glad you liked it :-)

Just looked again and it's 3 100 watt not 75 watt bulbs. Even better---on a dimmer, should illuminate really well. The bigger version has 4 bulbs if you want a bigger fixture.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Babushkacat,

I save the image to my desktop then upload them to photobucket.

I don't think the round globe with flowers is too pretty for your kitchen.
    But you have several very good options among the fixtures you like.

At 14" wide and 11" high do you think it is too big for your space?
    I think I read somewhere that the width of the pendant or fixture hanging over a table should not be more than half the diameter/width of the table.
    If that is more or less how to figure these things, is your table more than 28 inches wide?

You can learn more about the New York company, "Canopy Designs" that makes the flowery globe at the link below. This is the company that makes this fixture that we've all seen so much of in design mags for the past several years:

{{!gwi}}

Not at all for your kitchen, but this is one of their other amazing pendants:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Canopy Designs

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the good guidance on proportions and how to save to PB!. Table measurements are 29x30 inches. You are right, the smaller linen one by Ralph Lauren would be the preferred size in that lamp.

Canopy designs has amazing stuff!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I agree Babushka. I love this one for a big dining room.

But where are the prices?

Here is a link that might be useful: Love this chandy

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

stunning red lover! wow.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

update: hummm. was considering The Circa Ralph Lauren Marselle but might have run into a glitch. it is 51 inches long and I have 8 foot ceilings. seems like it is hanging down too low when i mock it up and the rods it hangs from do not appear adjustable. guess i will call tomorrow to verify but might need to begin on a backup plan.....

is the universe telling me i need to buy the floral globe???

a smile comes to her face...

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Yes. Floral Globe. It is perfect with your beautiful garden in the background...

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I just got an email from ABC Carpet and Home (the retailer in our area who sells the flowery globe) saying they were having a 20% off sale through Monday.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG, will check, thanks!!!

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

francoise74

am still struggling with my lapm choice. have decided against the ralph lauren one as well as globe with flowers. who makes the inexpensive rattan one? i would like to explore that one further...

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Babuska cat,

The rattan picture I posted (really, just to give a general idea
    of the look of rattan in a pendant) was from Royce lighting.
    It is designed for inside or outside and is 16 inches wide.
    It is available through many stores and is 78 dollars on Amazon.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royce rattan pendant

• localeater
    11 years ago

Hi, I love your kitchen, the colors are so soothing. What about the Radiance Lily Pendant by Jezebel Gallery. http://www.jezebelgallery.com/pro.php?id=205
    The size or the large seems right;it is 11" across and the hanging height is adjustable, either the white or the champagne would look lovely in your space and the shape is reminiscent of a flower;invoking your garden.

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

Weighing in belatedly, babushka cat, I think either rattan or a similarly simple shape in capiz shell would work wonderfully in your clearly-not-formal-despite-the-marble kitchen. Either would also go with your bistro furnishings.

Smashing kitchen, by the way. It seems light-hearted as well as light in its finishes, and it reads much larger than you report it to be. You done real good.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: Sometimes it takes a while to figure it out but I get there eventually! After several purchases that I did not like and returned, I have a breakfast nook light! A shout out of thanks to all who assisted me on my nook light selection, particularly Francoise47 who suggested the winner. I went with the BTC Cobb Rise and Fall lamp and it looks terrific!!! Will post finish kitchen pictures soon! Here is the link of the light for those that may have a similar need:

http://www.originalbtc.com/catalogue_item.php?catID=5520&prodID=38459&PHPSESSID=2765e37e33ee5843ce4117e2913886e7

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Yeah Babushka cat-- so glad you found a winner.
    I love the BTC Cobb Rise and Fall. Can't wait to see your reveal.
    We all love seeing your kitchen.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love it! Almost wish I had seen that before I bought ours - love that you can adjust the height!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Wow! I was just thinking about you and your fixture about a week ago and thought about reviving this thread to ask! So glad you decided and cannot wait to see it hung in your lovely space. Hurry with those pics!