Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Design Dilemma - Dining Table - Which finish? Help!!!

blackchamois
10 years ago

Help! I found a dining table that I plan to purchase, but haven't pulled the trigger because I can't decide on the warm cherry or the black.

It is now on sale for 50% off!!! But only for a few days, so I can't pass up this opportunity to purchase it. Please help me decide!

My dining area is right off the kitchen. The kitchen and surrounding areas are still under construction, so I am hoping to get some feedback by giving you a few details and pics of the space (current and future state).

- The kitchen cabinets are white and counters Caesarstone Raven.
- All the trim work (baseboards, window trim, doors) is white.
- I have not selected a paint color for the dining area, but will be along the lines of light tan/taupe.
- I will have a darkish wood (bamboo type) shade in the dining room window (not shown).
-The table will be on a silsal rug so it will break things up between the table and floor regardless of which table I select.
-Wood floors are the color shown in the fireplace photo.

Do I have too much wood already (floors/window shade) that the warm cherry would be overkill? (And actually I read a review that it's not too much on the cherry/red side.) Or will the sisal rug break all the wood tones up?And would it be a better contrast from the gray counters?

On the other hand, will the black table look too "harsh" with the white cabs and gray counters? (The counters tend to look on the black side from a distance.)

I apologize in advance for the separate pics.

Comments (21)

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The black finish ...

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My "under construction" kitchen ...

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fireplace/flooring - Note, this is NOT MY fireplace, however, this was my inspiration photo and mine is almost identical - same color stone on face, white mantle, and my wood flooring is exactly this color/style.

Thank you so much for your advice!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Black:)

• andreak100
    10 years ago

I think that I'd go with the black.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I'll be the contrarian and say go with the cherry. When I saw the table I thought of my goodness that is lovely and just the right size for a breakfast area. Then I scrolled down and saw the black one and I didn't like it. With that being said I love black! I also love cherry but in that dining table set I think the cherry makes it look like a much more expensive set. Can I ask you please where to find it? I think the chairs would be perfect for my antique dining table. I just took a second look and the black is growing on me and I think either one will be just lovely!

• Sherrie Moore
    10 years ago

I think I would pick the black too!

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

My first thought was the black would really match the counters. Then I scrolled down and saw the beautiful floor and changed my mind to cherry. That is a tough one! Both are beautiful and I think you can't go wrong either way.
    (sorry--obviously I have decision making problems, just ask my GC!! )

• rkb21
    10 years ago

My vote is for the black. I think it will be a nice complement to your counters. But, I think either would work in that space. Good luck on your decision!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Black. While the cherry is very beautiful, to me it has a very traditional look, while your kitchen and fireplace don't. The black is a nice contrast to your floor and other browns.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All - Thank you for the feedback

Holly-Kay - I'm in a condo and limited on space. My previous table was 42" round with a glass top and wrought iron base. I wanted one that was slightly larger and could extend when I have family over. This one is 48", but extends to about 66" and I think will be perfect! The table comes in only 3 finishes, but the chairs come in several other options. I think it's a great deal and the reviews are really good. The link is below.

Heidi - I know EXACTLY what you mean about decisions. I am the worst. I drive my family and friends crazy! (I am trying to get better ... really I am!) :)

Linelle - Thanks. I agree that the cherry is more traditional and refined. My style is much more casual. I think if it were more rustic, I may have picked the wood, but my gut and all your feedback tell me I should go with the black. (One of the reasons I had been considering the cherry is because I thought if I ever wanted to restain it a slightly different color, it may be easier to work with vs. stripping the black paint. But I need to stop getting too far ahead of my self.) One of the reviewers said that the cherry was "fancier" than she thought it would be.

Thank you all for your feedback!!

Here is a link that might be useful: HDC - Sheffield Dining Set

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! The price is great for the set. I do think the chairs in cherry would go great with my antique table.

The black will look just stunning in your space. I went back several times and I actually think I now like the black better!

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Both are pretty, but I like the black which looks less traditional. You mention table, but what about chairs? Are you going with the ones shown or something different?

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I vote cherry! Cherry is forever.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay - Thanks I think I am leaning to the black for sure. You can purchase the chairs and table separately, or as a set. I haven't read the reviews for the chairs, but for the table alone they were really good.

Island - I have 4 parsons type chairs with slip covers. I think the fabric of the slipcovers will soften the look vs. wood chairs. Plus I already have them so no money out of pocket there. And for when I add the leaf and extend the table I will use this bench for additional seating for 2 (cushion to be added and top will be upholstered).

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I checked out the link you gave to the website. The painted finishes are distressed. I'm sure you're already aware of that. One of the reviews did mention that the surface was easily stained. I'd be a little leery with only three reviews and two of them aren't so hot.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

I love the black. LOVE the fireplace. It should all look wonderful together.
    I was just on the decorating forum about painted ceilings. Did you ever find out the color of acountryhouse's beautiful glossy ceiling/trim color.
    I bumped it to get a response.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linelle - The reviews for the table alone are very good ... and there are about 25. The 3 reviews were for the dining "set". But I did read them all and saw the comment about the stain ... hard to know which finish the reviewer was referring to. And the distressing may be more on the antique white one - at least it looks that way from the photos. I think I would be okay with that.

ppbenn - Thanks! I will have to look back at that thread. I don't recall that one.

• lala girl
    10 years ago

I'd go black too - I think that finish will give you a lot of flexibility with the look - btw, that is a pretty set!

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did it! I ordered the black. The website says it won't ship until about 6/11. Gives me some time to get a few other things done in that space. I will keep you posted when I receive it. Thank you all for your feedback!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Great decision. The black is less traditional and ties in beautifully with your counters and your slip covered chairs.