Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orremodel

granite choice HELP!

orremodel
15 years ago

I have been looking at granite slabs for my new kitchen. My cabinets are a warm white, and I want a dark countertop (likely black), that is matte and not fussy. I am looking at several satin finishes - cambrian black satin (or antique) and another one that I haven't heard about Mysore black honed. Does anyone have experience with these, or other products that meet my criteria?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Would you consider soapstone? There's also Virgina Mist but I don't think it's quite as black as the otherss

• spykids
    15 years ago

I myself have the same color scheme as you and have been eyeing CAMBRIAN BLACK (antique finish) for the counters and a STELLA NOTTE (antique as well)it has very subtle off white swirls with tiny specks of gold...it is beautiful!

I think it is also called Cosmic Black,Titanium,Black Forrest Metallic Black or Amadeus. I visited 3 granite yards today and I have information overload that I'd like to share! :0)Hope this helps a bit...

• twinkletoesmomma
    15 years ago

what is the difference between cambrian black and black pearl? I am planning on going with either of these in and antique finish or soapstone.

• spykids
    15 years ago

It's the same exact specie, just another name.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

They are two different stones. Price - I think is the difference. I believe that Cambrian Black Antique is much more expensive than Black Pearl Antique. Another gorgeous stone in antique finish is Nordic Black. I love that stone in an antique finish, but it is really expensive but wow is it beautiful. Plan to pay about 1K extra per slab for the antique finish on any granite - at least that's what one fabricator told me.

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

Anyone have photos of Black Pearl antique?

• positano
    15 years ago

I almost went with black pearl antique. It gave me the look I wanted(matte black) without the big price tag.

I ultimately went a different direction and got Costa Esmeralda. Sometimes I look at dark countertops and think what if.......but I do love my CE. Very easy to keep clean.

Here are a few shots.Click on the picture and it will bring you to an album with Black pearl antique pics and Cambria black. The BP definitely had some nice warmth to it, little specs of gold. I put a color enhancing sealer on it to get a dark look. The slabs in the pictures at the granite yard didn't have that ,so it looked a little more charcoal.

October 2008

Good luck, I found countertop choice to be the hardest. I really agonized. My dream countertop was soapstone, maybe someday!

• orremodel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I've been to so many places and haven't seen all of the colors that were mentioned. Seems like granite options vary by region. I am still puzzled by it all and can't settle on one choice. I like the darkness of cambrian black but think it may be too textured for me. Ugh... Have to decide by next week so at least I won't be puzzled for long.

• chefkev
    14 years ago

More Black Pearl photos - Sorry mateys, couldn't help meself!

• emknc
    14 years ago

"Creamy white with soapstone! Creamy white with soapstone! Awk! Polly want creamy white with soapstone!"
    Yawn.
    Think for yourself! Dare to be different!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Here are some ideas ORemodel.
    also black pearl or soapstone.
    Best of luck

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Those are so purtty...

• artielange
    14 years ago

Here is Green Pearl Leathered granite. I'm having it installed tomorrow so I'll have finished pics soon.

From Green Pearl Leather Granite
    From Green Pearl Leather Granite