Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Update, from oak & tile to white painted cabinets & granite

annkathryn
13 years ago

My husband and I decided to update our oak and tile kitchen a bit as we plan to put our house on the market within the next year or so. The idea was that it would be nice to be in the house to enjoy the updated kitchen for a while before selling the house.

Most of the houses for sale in my area have ads that scream out granite and stainless steel kitchens, and all the real estate agents with whom we've conferred have been pretty convincing that this kind of upgrade (plus "status" appliances) was needed for a quick sale.

Naturally the advice from this forum has been invaluable - I used what I learned here at almost every step of the way.

We had a couple of splurges, but mainly tried to get all materials as cheaply as possible. We also decided not to do the painting ourselves but to hire a painter we'd used before. He and his crew did a wonderful job, and did it all in 5 days (it would have taken me months).

I'll list the details of what we bought and the cost below; for those who don't care about that kind of stuff, just skip to the pictures at the end. Total cost was just under $15,000.

The cabinets were custom-made for the previous owner and are in very good shape, with solid wood inside and out. They're framed and the drawers waste a tremendous amount of space. If I'd had more money I would have replaced the 4-drawer cabinet with a better set of drawers, as there's at least 2 inches lost on both the height and width of each drawer. That wasn't in the budget, but my next kitchen will be more efficient.

We ditched the trash compactor (never used it) and added a 2-container Rev-a-shelf pullout trash cabinet.

The granite is Ubatuba Gold and has some lovely gold and copper sparkles in it. The granite yard had about 10 slabs on clearance for $300 each. There were issues; most had a crack right down the middle, and others had deep scratches. My fabricator made it work using 3 slabs with some creative layout of the templates. We had to offset the seam to the side of the sink a little (rather than centered) but otherwise the cracks and scratches became a non-issue. I was happy with the price. The edge is beveled.

Cabinets were cleaned and painted with 2 coats of oil-based primer and then 2 coats of oil-based top coat (Benjamin Moore Linen White, based on recommendations here). It looks creamier in person than in the photos. Walls are SW Restrained Gold, ceiling is KM Swiss Coffee.

The sink came from MR Direct which a poster here led me to after I asked about the (out of stock) Ticor S113.

Ticor sink thread

I didn't do a lot of research on the faucet - I'd used Hansgrohe in my master bath and knew it to be good quality, so when I saw a kitchen faucet at Costco I grabbed it.

The knobs will come from myhomehardware.com and are manufactured by Jeffrey Alexander, style is Milan. I saw them in cawfeegirl's kitchen and thought they looked great. I'm still waiting for them to arrive, thus all the little holes in the cabinets. cawfeegirl's kitchen

The double oven was a splurge, purchased online from AJ Madison; free shipping and no sales tax. The top is convection.

Microwave is a Sharp with a custom trim kit, as it's sold as a counter-top rather than built-in microwave.

I didn't get the "stainless" Jenn-Air downdraft cooktop because it was $300 more than the black one, and the only difference was 2 narrow strips of stainless steel on the top & bottom of the stove. I had to get downdraft because I didn't want to install an overhead fan above the peninsula; the technology hasn't improved much in the 20 years since the original downdraft was installed, unfortunately. A better option would have been to move the stove to the wall where the microwave is, reconfigure those cabinets and add a fan there, but that wasn't in the budget.

Dishwasher is Kenmore - we just put it in a couple of years ago and kept it even though it lacks "status" and is black rather than stainless (oh well). DH loves it (he does the dishes).

Fridge is GE Profile, also purchased a couple of years ago.

As for the backsplash, I decided to save money and not have it tiled. Keeping it as drywall was an option (every granite fabricator of course thought this was nuts). However I ultimately decided to use the granite behind the sink, and continued it around the rest of the "U" of that counter. I'm going to live without a backsplash on the perimeter counters for a while but always have the option to either tile there or have my fabricator install a 5" splash of granite (there's enough left over).

The light fixture was purchased at Bellacore a couple of years ago, and moved from the upstairs hall down to the kitchen. It matches a larger chandelier in the entrance hall to the house.

I took down the valances and haven't decided whether or not to add a window treatment. DH votes for no window treatments. The kitchen is at the back of the house and privacy isn't an issue. We might replace the can lights with something more up-to-date, but are leaving them for now.

More details:

Materials

Granite - 75 square feet ubatuba gold (3 slabs) $1000

Stove - Jenn-Air downdraft $1302

Sink - MR Direct $175 MR Direct

Faucet - Hansgrohe Metro from Costco $200

Oven - Bosch double oven $2000 AJ Madison

Microwave and custom trim kit - Sharp $450

Trash pull-out - Rev-a-shelf 300

light fixture - reused one from hallway, replaced it with an Ikea one $10

Knobs and drawer pulls - Jeffrey Alexander Milan $200 Myhomehardware

Labor

Counter - granite fabrication and install $3500

painting $2500

All other labor (demolition, carpentry, appliance install, plumbing) $2700

Sold original downdraft stove ($75)

Sold old microwave ($100)

Gave away original oven on Freecycle 0

Total Kitchen facelift: $14662

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Wider angle

Comments (24)

• scootermom
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! I can't stop looking at all the pictures. I love your window area by the sink...both your big windows are wonderful. I wouldn't add window treatments.

I am envious!!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Very nice!! Everything looks brand new...So light and elegant.

Have to ask...What is that very shallow cupboard for above the microwave? Cups and glassware?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Looks very nice. And love that botanical print! Did that inspire your wall color?

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

I am sure that you will get your 15k back when you sell, and your remodel will certainly make your house easier to sell. But maybe you won't want to move now :^)

I'm really impressed with how you accomplished an amazing transformation on a 15k budget. There used to be an under $20k remodel thread - look for it and add yours. You have some great tips that can help out other budget remodelers.

Beautiful kitchen!

• doraville
    13 years ago

Nice job! You must be thrilled!

• idrive65
    13 years ago

You took 25 years off your kitchen! I didn't even notice the big garden window in the "before" shot". Lovely job.

• msrose
    13 years ago

Oh, I love the paint color you used on the walls. Is it Decatur Buff by chance?

Laurie

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I was reading the text part of your post, it was long so I couldn't sneak a peek at the photos (which I always do)....but what a great reveal, totally worth the buildup and anticipation! Your kitchen looks incredible. Make sure you have a new house picked out before you put this one on the market, because it will sell fast! Everybody will want that kitchen when they see it.

Congratulations on a job well done. (And yes, it would have taken months to paint all the cabinets--been there done that)

• desi5
    13 years ago

Wow! What a transformation - your new kitchen is beautiful and you must be thrilled with the results! Cannot believe you accomplished all of that for under $15K - awesome job.

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. DH and I feel like we have a new kitchen - we're very happy with the updates.

To answer your questions:

rhome the cabinet above the microwave is actually quite deep. I use it for holding party trays and my slow cooker (picture below).

sabjimata the botanical print is of oranges and was purchased at Les Olivades in St-Remy. Maybe I should continue the French Provincial theme in new placemats or a bright tablecloth. The print didn't inspire the wall color although we like how it looks (and will hang it today, I hope!)

pudgybaby I've see that under $20K thread and have been impressed by what people have done on a budget.

msrose the paint color is SW Restrained Gold. I have SW IVoire in the hallway and SW Navajo White in the powder room. I'll probably paint the red family room Restrained Gold or Ivoire, and I'll use those colors in some of the bedrooms once we get in the mode of staging and neutralizing the house for sale. They're all on the same sample strip.

• doraville
    13 years ago

It is amazing how the white made that garden window pop. It looks like you are still struggling with hardware choice. Have you made a decision yet?

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Gorgeous transformation and a great example of how good oak cabinets can look after being painted.

• clkw
    13 years ago

Wow, what a huge difference. That was a big bang for your buck. It looks fabulous!

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

It has been so much fun flipping back and forth from the before and afters. The one I kept looking at over and over was the cabinet that you have your wine glasses in. It looked like a brand new cabinet. So much more elegant now. You did a fantastic job on the kitchen and the breakdown for all of us. I am yet to do that for everyone :(
    Every new homeowner should be as lucky as the family that buys your house. You are making it beautiful for them.
    Kudos to you:)

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

doraville the knobs and pulls were en route; they came in the mail yesterday so I put them all on the doors/drawers. They're Jeffrey Alexander, style is Milan.

I'm trying to figure out the right balance of "stuff" to have on the counters - I don't like clutter, but the counters look pretty stark with nothing on them at all.

Thanks for the nice comments! There are more pictures in my album (click on the link below the photo).

From Kitchen before and after

• redroze
    13 years ago

Wow annkathryn, what a transformation!!! The white really brightens up your space, and the yellow walls keep the warmth and tie it into your hardwood. The glass upper cabinets are perfect. Well done.

I really liked your window with a roman shade (or some type of window treatment) framing it. Are you thinking of doing one? Maybe something with a black-and-white patterned fabric.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Don't know I missed this previously, but I really like it! Everything looks so good together!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

redroze - I'm going to keep the windows bare for now, but I like your idea of black & white fabric. That gives me another idea of using black & white accents, like hand towels, placemats, pot holders, etc. If the chairs were black (they're a dark blue/green) then it would be very cool to have seat cushions of black & white fabric. Thanks for the idea!

thanks gsciencechick :-)

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love the transformation to such a bright beautiful updated kitchen. It is amazing how little you spent on the upgrade that will surely help sell your house and you and your DH can enjoy living in such a beautiful kitchen meanwhile. Thanks for sharing.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Well, here's another one I missed!

It is absolutely fabulous! It is so light and bright now. Wow, like others have said, I didn't even notice your garden windows in the before, but they surely POP now! I would have LOVED to move into a home with a kitchen like yours! I bet your realtor loves you! ;^)

Congratulations on such an amazing transformation!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! So far the feedback from real estate agents who've seen the house has been positive. We're still not ready to sell though, perhaps in the fall.

Meanwhile we've been enjoying the kitchen, except for an issue with the granite seam at the sink, argh! I really didn't want the seam there but I realize it's standard, and better to have a couple of small seams than one long one running front to back on the counter. The seam at the front of the sink is cracked and crumbling. I've posted for advice on the Stone Advice forum and am getting the fabricator to come out & fix it.

Otherwise things are great and I'm loving the double oven. The top oven seems to take forever to heat up when it's in "regular" mode, but in convection mode things move a lot faster. I'm still experimenting, but so far it's been useful to have the 2 ovens.

• Mick Mick
    13 years ago

Congrats! I love it. I also painted my pickled oak cabinets. My regret is not going with a darker granite.

• berryfarm
    13 years ago

It looks great! You made some incredibly wise choices which will more than likely be the decision factor in buyers choosing your house over another house. It will be very appealing come "show time".

• Jessie Reuben
    9 years ago

Congrats on a job well done!