Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetoshop_gw

french door fridge...counter depth vs regular

lovetoshop
14 years ago

I have decided on a french door fridge but now have the decision of counter depth or regular. We are a family of 4 (two kids ages 2 and 4). Currently we have a SxS 25cu.ft. I agree that the look of a counter depth is attractive since it makes the fridge look "built in" but in reality does the fridge seem a lot smaller? We don't plan to have an extra fride or freezer in the garage. Please advise...

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• organic_nettie
    14 years ago

I have a counter depth Kitchenaid. I really like it. It is a little smaller, but you get used to it. I did not get the ice maker on the outside because that does take up much more room. I have an ice maker in the freezer and a water spout in the refr. It will also keep your kitchen floor cleaner. I was afraid of the water dripping constantly on my hardwood floor. The counter depth does give the kitchen a sleeker look. I have a very small refi. in the basement. I think that is a good idea especially if you like to keep lots of cold drinks, or watermelon, etc. But believe me, it you got used to your s/s, you will get used to this.

• positano
    14 years ago

I have the same KA FD CD that organice nettie has. I love it and I think it looks great flush with the counter. I also have a full sized fridge in our basement. I think you really need something else for backup especially if you freeze a lot of food. We are also a family of 4 and the size is fine for everyday stuff, but I keep extra soda, juice and frozen stuff down in the basement.

I guess it depends where the fridge is going in your layout. For my layout it would have looked terrible with a full depth fridge. Can you recess one into the wall to make it look counter depth?

Here is a picture of mine.

From April 2009

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I am working on a project where the HO had a conventional depth 36" wide FD in her old house and is going to have a 36" wide FD in counterdepth in her new house. They are the same manufacturer and other than the depth almost identical. The Counterdepth is distinctly smaller, I think about 5 cubic feet. I prefer counterdepth myself, but yes, they have less capacity if all other dimensions are the same.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I hate to say it, but if you don't have another refrigerator elsewhere you probably won't like the CD...especially when your children get older. We put our old 30+ cu ft refrigerator in the basement and definitely use it. It's not full, but it's at least 1/3 to 1/2 full at all times. We have two teenagers and my DS especially goes through yogurt, milk, etc. very quickly so I have to have a big stock of these items!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I have a Counter depth Bosch 800 Integra. Side by side.

I will say that the CD Bosch S by S held the same amount of
    food as our SuperBa Kitchen Aid. We were shocked the day we
    moved all our food into the new refrig. I am still
    amazed how the German Designers have utilized every bit
    of space in the CD Bosch.

We do have an extra frig. It is not the old Superba but a
    far smaller one and only about 1/4 of the space is used.
    A waste of energy. We are a family of 5 with extended
    family visiting often. We eat veggies, drink juices and
    use a refrig to it's capacity in the main kitchen.

Think about how you eat? Do you use your refrig for
    fruits, veggies, meats, frozen, drinks, milk, leftovers...
    This might help you to see how what would work for you.

I did happen to see a freezer for $200 at Lowes.
    I might think about getting rid of our extra and just
    buying a small chest Freezer. Thinking...

• timber.j
    14 years ago

We have a large family, so counterdepth was not an option with the smaller capacity.
    We did, however, recess the fridge into the wall behind it, so it sits about three inches farther back than it would have. The wall is framed with a recess where the fridge goes, with a piece of mdf or masonite or something like that on the back, instead of sheetrock on both sides.
    Like this:

• lkremodel
    14 years ago

We have a regular depth french door Kenmore Elite which I really like. It's on a short run of cabinets that have been staggered to 3 different depths by the KD. Thus, it doesn't seem weird to have the refrigerator cabinet protrude the most. I'm pleased with the look and size.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I am not clear on whether you are remodeling or choosing for an existing space that isnt going to change.

• lovetoshop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The fridge would be for an existing space in a home we are moving into last June. Here is a pic of the kitchen so you can see where the fridge will go. We will be replacing all the appliances with SS and I just love the FD style fridge. I just don't know if I should go with reglar or counter depth, however after looking at this photo one more time it almost looks like the fridge the current owners have which I am sure is not a counter depth fridge since it looks older, looks like it is flush with the cabinets and counter on either side?? Is it just me or do you see it too? Of course we will move in first and I will measure before buying a new fridge, but am already busy thinking and planning :)
    {{!gwi}}

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

Hey timber.j - do you know if you can do that with an external wall? I was thinking I'd be limited to the CD, but if I could have carpenters build a recess, I could go for FD - but ref. will be on external wall.

Lovetoshop - I don't think that is flush with the counters, the pantry next to it gives the illusion, but I think the givaway is the cabinet above, which looks like it is only 12" deep. One thing to consider - you will need 36" across with a CD french door. That SbS may only be 32 or 34".

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Ours is on an interior wall. I don't think it would work on an exterior wall (no space for insulation, for one thing), unless you bumped the whole section out, but that would be more costly than the difference between a regular vs. counterdepth.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi again Lovetoshop,

It looks like the frig in the picture is a Giant KitchenAid Superba in black. And if that is the case that is one monster huge refrig. I think you are correct that it is not a counter depth in the kitchen you show.

That would be great if you could use a reg frig there.

Does the realtor have the specs?

My DH loved the FD too. I looked at the FD counter depth and was disappointed with the space. We needed a CD so I gave up the idea of a FD. I am happy with my S by S. I think if we could have had a deeper refrig FD would have been fine.

Great idea to go with stainless it will look amazing.