Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludy_2009

Plugmold Installation -- on drywall or on backsplash tile

ludy-2009
14 years ago

Electrician is installing plugmold so we can avoid outlet covers in the marble backsplash. Should the plugmold be installed on the drywall and tile run to it or should the plugmold be installed on the backsplash tile? Pictures please? Also, does anyone have the angled plugmold from Task Lighting? Generally, do you love or hate your plugmold?

Comments (11)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I have the angled plug mold, but I don't have a tile BS (at least not yet) so our plug mold strips are attached to the drywall. Not sure what we'll do when we put in a BS, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. [Note: I'm not sure if it's from Task Lighting as my electrician ordered it for me.]

Yes, I like my plug mold, it works great and even though I'm fairly tall (5'10"), I don't have a problem with leaning over slightly to plug something in. I've used it for everything from our KA stand mixer to a toaster to a cell phone charger...all worked great w/it!

• ludy-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi buehl:

Thanks for the pictures and the input. Is the angled plugmold visible or does the cabinet hide it fairly well?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

The cabinets + light rail hide it very well. Here are some "overview" pics...you can't see it at all. (We only have Plug Mold on the cooktop side, not the sink side.)

In this pic, they're under the cabinets on the right:

They're under these cabinets

• faleash
    14 years ago

Great question! I'd love to hear from others. We are going to be using this same angled power strip (that's what Tasklighting calls it). Buehl, yours is from Task... the other kind is flat and thin (and my electrician calls it a pain to get the cable thru... this is better). Anxious for more posts on this...

• plants4
    14 years ago

I was hoping to put it on the bottom of the cabinets. Is that not possible or advisable?

• ludy-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, working on answers now. Have spoken with the manufacturer several times today. The strip can be attached to the drywall or the tile, whichever you prefer. I'd love to see pictures if anyone has them. It's hard to know which will look better.

As for attaching to the cabinet, it does work if your cabinets are framed on four sides. Right now, ours are framed on only three sides -- but inquiring whether we can add another piece. If your cabinets are not framed at the back and you attach it to the cabinet, the wire would have to go through the cabinet -- which would not be permissible unless your electrician has a way of protecting those wires.

Sill trying to collect information. In the meantime, if anyone has pictures . . . we'd LOVE to see them. Thanks, all!

• lowspark
    14 years ago

My electrician deliberately installed it in the drywall before the backsplash tile was done because he said it was easier to do that way. It worked perfectly for my application because my backsplash is 12" tile on the diagonal which = 17" height, plus the 1" of plugmold = 18" to fill the entire space between counter and upper cabs.

• ludy-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • Buehl
    14 years ago

Ah yes! NeedANap's kitchen. Both she and Alku05 actually used straight plugmold mounted on an angled piece of wood. Less expensive!

Unfortunately, neither one are in the FKB.

• plants4
    14 years ago

I see what you mean about the four sides versus the three sides. (I will have four.) What I'm wondering is how I'm going to get the wire from the wall into that space. I am thinking perhaps the cabinet maker will make a notch in that piece of framing against the wall for both the plugmold and for the undercabinet lighting?

• ludy-2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, we are using the Task Lighting Angled Power Strip and it is more expensive than the plugmold set at an angle, but I like Task Lighting strip.

Fern4 -- as long as your electrician knows that you intend to use the plugmold or the angled power strip, the electrician will run the wires through the wall and either the electrician or the cabinet installer will drill a small hole in the frame of the cabinet to wire the strip and then the strip--once attached-- will hide the small hole. Good job -- framing on all four sides -- I'm working on that now.