Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
countertop fabrication question

Posted by calumin (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 1:22

I am having Pental quartz countertops installed in my kitchen next week. Question for anyone who has had this done -- is it important to make sure that the adhesive that the fabricator uses is color-matched to the quartz countertop color?

There is a company called Altima Adhesives which sells adhesive and has a chart to match every single countertop selection with an adhesive color in their inventory.

When I read the Pental quartz installation manual, they don't even mention this. However, the Cambria quartz installation manual makes a big deal that this has to be done.

I've gone on some tradesman forums where nearly all the fabricators say they just use stock white, grey or black and don't bother with a custom match.

Does anyone think it makes a difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: countertop fabrication question

Color matching for seams is more of an art form than an absolute. While using the "color matched" epoxy is a good start, they need to have those basic 3 (and a few more) on hand to adjust by eye.

In other words, no it's not a deal killer, but if all they have are the three, that IS a deal killer. Unless your counter is white, black, or grey.

o

Why not just ask your fabricator what they use?

I don't know whether my fabricator used that brand of epoxy for my Pental countertops, but he was like an artist mixing paints to get the color to match. It takes a good eye for undertones in color to make a seam disappear.

o

You will definitely want color matched seams. A good fabricator can make the seams close to invisible by custom blending and matching colors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here