Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicnsb_gw

Clean-up sink & prep sink both in island??

vicnsb
15 years ago

Does anyone have this layout: clean up sink on one side of an island

and prep sink on the other? I am considering a 48x84 island with this layout and would love to see pics if you know of any.

Any thoughts on why this would not work or look okay?

Thanks so much !

Comments (8)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

There was a kitchen posted here awhile back...from a magazine or something, not a member's kitchen, but we couldn't remember the exact source. Looked great and should work great with the right layout. Here is a link to a previous discussion of sinks on both sides of the island.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread on back to back sinks

• cotehele
    15 years ago

That was my thread :-)

Your island must be full depth cabinets back to back. Is there a sink on each side?

I am sticking with a two-sink island, 40'' x 108'' with another 12'' at the DR end. The kitchen side of the room is 13.5 x 13.5 with a little extra for pantry and refrigerator at one end.

I considered several things that may (or may not) be applicable to your kitchen plan:

1. Make the aisle width enough to be practical and workable. My clean-up side aisle is 42''. I will sadly be the ONLY one cleaning up. A wall is at my back; there is no need to turn around to work. The prep and cook side is 42''. Occasionally there may be another person on that side. I am working with a custom cabinetmaker, so the prep side will have 22'' deep cabinets rather than the standard 24''. Otherwise the aisles would be too tight.

2. Consider, too, the pathways through the kitchen. Fortunately I don't have any significant thoroughfares. Folks will enter the house in the DR.

3. It was a challenge to cluster appliances and work stations close together with a long island. The clean-up side of the island is not easily accessed from the cook and prep side. I hope dishes will slide easily across the island to the clean-up side when I am cooking.

4. A high priority to have very few upper cabinets was the impetus for the wide, long island. I have only two wall cabinets (on each side of the cooktop). The challenge there was what to do with the dishes, and that the dishes be handy to the dining room. I am using dish drawers for everything but glasses (that go in the DR beverage hutch).

This is the plan. A beam replaces a wall between the kitchen and DR with posts at the end of the island.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I am just curious...do you not have space for either of the sinks elsewhere or you just want them both on the island facing out?

I'm assuming you want two sinks, otherwise I would think you could just have the clean up sink on the island and use that for everything.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I am not sure if you are asking or OP, malhgold. I want the rooms to feel open. Minimal upper cabinets will help. I am pretty sure I will like having both sinks in the island. And, yes, you are right. I want two sinks. The prep sink is big so it can be used for little clean-up jobs. But, I am continually frustrated that my only sink is full of dirty mixing bowls, whisks, pans...when I am cooking. I want some place outside the work area to stash all that stuff until I have time to get it washed and put away.

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks rhome, I couldn't remember the post title.
    Cotehele, your plan has a very similar layout with the island sinks & the reason for them. I like the idea of a separate clean up zone in a small space. Is there a best way to do this to get the best plumbing layout?

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I suppose ideally the sinks would be back to back with a variety of faucets and other necessities shared between the two. The doing back to back sinks cuts the prep work top in-two though. The cleanup sink and DW could swap places and there is a little wiggle room on the depth of the overhang. Balancing form and function, I like the apron front sink rather the the DW in the middle; it's visible through the hall doors. Can you post your layout? I'd love to see it!

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cotehele, I had the same thought about cutting the prep area in half with
    a prep sink. Thats whats great about this layout is all the room for cooking
    on one side and taking the clean-up to the other.
    Its great to see your plan, I am in the drawing stages
    (for about a year now) but this is so far my favorite. I will post it later.

Curious, is that a bearing wall? Thanks again.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

vicnsb, it takes a long time for an idea to gel. I've been working on a kitchen layout for more than a year, too.

A bearing wall is between the kitchen and DR, which explains the posts. mamadadapaige's kitchen, posted this week, has gorgeous posts between her kitchen and hearth room. My inspiration came from hers.

I'll be looking for your drawings. Good luck!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH