Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_roma

Bay Area, CA custom cabs?

Love_Roma
12 years ago

Looking to get another quote from a licensed cabinet maker in the Bay Area. The first one, the preferred vendor of our GC seems a little pricey, and we'd like to compare. There are so many horror stores of terrible cabinetry places, so first hand knowledge from anyone on GW would be awesome!

Comments (10)

• momtotwinboys
    12 years ago

We don't have our cabinets yet, but if you search for Firsthouse's finished kitchen, she used precision cabinets out of Brentwood. Based on her glowing review as well as my contractor's experience with them (it was who he recommended independently of Firsthouse) that is who we are going with. Our cabinets are scheduled to be installed around the first week of June. So far, they have been great to work with, and the price is reasonable. They install all over the bay area.

• ZacsDaddy
    12 years ago

I recommend you talk to Millbrea Cabinets (ask for Mike!). The can do full on custom but they also work with Aristocratic cabinets which can give you just about as much flexibility as pure custom at a much cheaper price. We just had ours installed and love the cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Millbrea Cabinet Shop

• ca_mom
    12 years ago

I'm using, for the second time, Rhyne Design in Sebastapol. Owner, George, has a good eye for design and practicality.

• freckles
    12 years ago

Scott Andrews at Canyon Woodworks on the peninsula does excellent work at very fair prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canyon Woodworks

• zinnah
    12 years ago

I had Rhyne Designs in Sebastopol do a modern kitchen with vertically grain matched cherry slab and blue laminate. Job done 4 years ago and cabinets and finishes holding up well. Soft close drawers, everything was accurate and well done. Bath with horizontal grain matched rift sawn white oak floating vanity. Another bath with horizontal grain matched ebony floating vanity. They ordered veneer from New York and had equipment and expertise to lay up the veneer. Accurate and quality job. I felt prices were quite fair. Jobs done in a reasonable time frame. Only negative was had to bug them a bit to get back me on some items. Had to nag George.

• artemis78
    12 years ago

We used California Kitchen and Furniture in Redwood City (Martin Bernardo) and were very happy with his work. It's a small shop so they only take a few jobs at a time, but the craftsmanship is very good for the price (much better specs than most of the other bids we got in our budget) and we enjoyed working with Martin and his team. He does both frameless and framed (overlay + flush inset).

• withoutanh
    12 years ago

You don't give much of an idea of what style you are looking for, so I hesitated at going on a limb for our cabinet people without knowing if their style might suit you.

We got our cabinets from AlterEco in Sebastopol. They do modern and Shaker-style cabinets in bamboo with FSC-certified maple interiors. Their KD and cabinet designer were wonderful; our cabinets are beautiful and functional (after 3 years). We were beyond satisfied with the workmanship and service they provided.

bamboocabinets.com if you think they might be a good fit for you.

• juniork
    12 years ago

Ugh! Entire 2paragraph review lost. Thanks to ipad and GW. Sigh. Long story short, look up Gao's Group in south san fran. judy speaks excellent english. Bring your pictures and wishlist, or plans from another quote. You show it to them, they'll build it! I dont think they can handle intricate designer kitchens, but honestly, if you're building one of those, then you're not too concerned with cost.

My quote from a brentwood cabinet maker, cant remember name, was over $40,000, because for dovetail, they only do some high end wood box. Gao was just over $20,000. Included dovetail, undermount softclose, full extension, and 1/3 glass uppers, to simulate stacked cabs. He gave me his cell phone, so for questions, i call, and he actually answers! They're doing another project in the south bay, los altos, so he's been around quickly when i call. I'm pretty lame at negotiating, but got them to take 5% off. I figure, i'd rather have them be more willing to come over and answer my contractor's questions, than worry about that last 5%. I saw the work they did at the other house, and was satisfied. Im very happy so far with my cabs! If you do work with him, he'll prob send you over to my house. :)

Best of luck with your cabinetmaker search!

• marcydc
    12 years ago

So, I'm in SF. I used Gao's that junior mentioned for my master bathroom vanity and closets. They do use Blum full extension soft close hinges and full dovetail drawers and really nice many layered plywood. Super quick too.

For both, my husband designed and they built exactly to specs. Both are really nice. I did my kitchen before I found Gao though so don't know how they are for that. I ended up with Aristocratic cabs, but I did an estimate from Hans Zosselear. He did our other bathroom vanity in the first bathroom and it is truly lovely. He was just more expensive than the non-custom route.

Oh, if you need a stone fabricator, i'm in love with mine ;)

• LeoClaudioCabinets
    12 years ago

Please visit our website at LeoClaudioCabinets.com
    Sophisticated design solutions and a full range of services for a variety of lifestyles. We provide you with a unique opportunity to share in the design process. Discover your creativity using our versatile compositional solutions, both custom and standard, infinite choices of material, finishes and colors to compliment the aesthetic elements of your home
    Call us for your free estimate today!
    Thank You