Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145_gw

Unused gas line, bad idea?

amberm145_gw
9 years ago

I am building a new house. I am 90% sure I'm going with an induction range. But there's still a 10% chance of going with gas. The gas line will have to come right past the stove from where it comes into our lot to the gas fireplace. So I'm thinking it would be trivial to put in a junction for a gas range.

Is there a reason not to put the gas in just in case I (or a future homeowner) decide I want a gas stove? Or would it be just as easy to tap into the line later? (for a pro, obviously.)

Comments (7)

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

The best time to work on anything is when you have easy access to it. Put the T in now if you have access to it, but just make sure your supply pipe can handle a fireplace and stove at the same time. Any plumber can tell you the required size of pipe for current and potential future use. Most likely the current pipe will be fine but make sure before proceeding. This is also the time to decide on gas for HW heater, furnace, hot tub, outdoor grill, etc. Putting in available branch lines at this point will be as cheap as it will ever get.

This post was edited by rmtdoug on Sat, May 17, 14 at 1:36

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

Also, will you have a gas fueled water heater? gas tankless water heater? Gas is still cheaper than electric in my part of the country. As previous poster mentioned, make sure gas pipe is adequately sized. And also, after line is the way you want it, get a plumber to check for any gas leaks. Easy to check - just need access to the gas meter.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I built on to my house (we did all the work ourselves) and, even though I KNOW that I personally prefer to cook on a gas range, I went ahead and ran a 220v line so anyone in the future could put in an electric/induction range.

If you aren't using it, you aren't pulling any power (or gas) through it. IMHO, it is better to go ahead and have the line/option there for future owners or in case you change your mind.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

When we built we ran gas and 220 to any appliance location that could take either. Haven't been sorry a day, as we've changed over the years and those have come in handy. It also gives future homeowners choices, too.

We do regret we didn't run a stub for a future fireplace in the basement!

It's EXPONENTIALLY cheaper to do this stuff during initial build, than later.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I'm switching out a dual fuel range to induction, so they will just be capping off that propane gas line that currently goes to the stove. In essence the same thing you'll have. There seemed to be no issues in doing that, and access is there for a future owner who might prefer a gas range.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Put it in now.

• AnnaA
    9 years ago

We piped in gas a few years before our remodel (when we converted to gas heat) as we planned to convert to a gas stove at that time. On the eve of purchasing the new stove during our reno, I changed my mind and went induction. Best cold feet I've ever had! :-)

The gas company sent out their preferred contractors (I didn't want to guess who was qualified) to cut and cap the pipe just below the flooring, made sure valves to the pipe were sealed, etc. It is now ready for some future owner to easily convert to gas.

No regrets on piping it in as it didn't cost much. Neither did the cut and cap.