Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctincc

Outlet Covers for Glass Tile?

ctincc
13 years ago

Hubby and I finally found a backsplash tile that we both REALLY like. Then I got to thinking that the regular white/almond outlet and switch covers won't look good with the glass tile (it's in light shades of green). The problem is that the tile is a basketweave design and is wavy (like a real basket) so that the outlet covers won't sit flat on the tile. My first idea to solve the problem was to put on the outlet covers (maybe a silver pewter/stainless color) first, then cut out the tile to go around the outlet cover. Then I decided to ask you all since there are so many experienced and creative people here on GW. Suggestions?

TIA, Carol

Comments (38)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You can get plain glass outlet covers and paint the back of them in a color that matched the glass tile.

• ctincc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Palimpsest, that's an interesting idea. I have seen mirrored outlet covers, but not plain glass. That got me to thinking about clear acrylic covers. I have seen clear acrylic switchplate covers for use with artwork or needlework, but I haven't seen clear acrylic outlet covers. Anyone have an idea where to find the clear glass or clear acrylic?--Carol

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I got mirrored ones and stripped them with paint stripper to remove the back paint and muriatic acid to remove the silvering. Its nasty, but it can be done. However, I have seen clear glass ones online. Look at Arnev, they may have them.

• ctincc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I'll take a look.

• brickton
    13 years ago

Just a note that if you get truly clear outlet cover you will likely see into the box and see the wires and sides of the outlet. The point of the cover is to cover all that up. I think the paint idea is interesting but I would likely go with the original thought of tiling around the space for an outlet cover. Just be sure that you buy a standard size outlet cover in case you ever crack/stain (or whatever) one and need to replace it. Or buy a really interesting one but buy extras.

• ctincc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, brickton, you clever thing! That would have never occurred to me until I had actually tried it and I would have been so disappointed.--Carol

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

You paint the back of it a color that matches the glass tile, you don't use them clear. The whole point of making them clear is to paint them the wall color or put matching wallpaper or whatever to make them blend in. Of course if you left it clear you would see the wiring.

• ctincc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, you can tell I'm a newbie at this. I think my mind is just fried from having to make so many decisions about the tiniest details. Wish I could afford to let someone else worry about this, but I am a real hands-on type person so I probably would just take over and do it myself anyway.--Carol

• irish_eyes_13
    13 years ago

I'm not sure how to work around the waves other than tiling around the outlet cover and someone mentioned Arnev, I believe. I did a search and did find something that may work for you here. Good luck :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnev - beveled glass outlet cover

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

I got some clear plastic/acrylic switchplate covers from HD or Lowes a while back. They were advertised to be fitted with wallpaper to match the walls, and thats what I used them for. They look great.

• ctincc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. You've been very helpful!

• antss
    13 years ago

get rid of the outlets in the wall and put them under the cabinets with plugmold.

problem solved.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Just an FYI--I had gotten a glass outlet cover from Arnev (I got my wood plates from them and they were AWESOME about making sure the grain ran in the right direction-- vert or horiz for each plate since we were using them either vert or horiz depending on the location). They are a nice company with which to do business.

Anyway, the glass plate was very nice, and the spray paint I used on the back (Krylon?) covered beautifully, but the finished plate "read" too blue-green with my backsplash tile (Artistic Tile's Opera Glass in Wolfgang White, which does read a bit bluish-green at different times of day, just not as much as the plate). So, get one plate to use as a sample to make sure the finished color works with your tile.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Just an fyi -- unfortunately it's against code to tile up to an outlet cover -- the outlet is then recessed and basically cemented in: you can't replace it because the little ears that keep it against the wall are now under the tile. Plus then you're stuck seeing the cut edges of the tile, not so aesthetically great either.

Optimally you'd find some kind of cover solution that works well -- I like the painted glass cover ideas, it gives you lots of flexibility. And they also make frosted glass covers that are opaque but still 'glassy'. Happy hunting!

• holahan2_optonline_net
    13 years ago

what did you finally decide with the outlet covers for the wavy glass i have the same issue.

• tveskild_start_ca
    12 years ago

We have a wavy glass tile. I used box extensions to bring the outlet out to align the highest point on the tile and utilized flexible vinyl outlet covers to put over top.. Next time, I'll measure the cover and tile up to it..

• lizajay
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Coming late to the party, but on my kitchen glass tile backsplash, I also used clear glass outlet covers from Arnev.com, but I backed them with a photograph of the tile, so the grout lines appear.

• lisapoi
    9 years ago

That's a great idea lizajay. I would love to see a picture of the installed glass plate!

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

Genius, lizajay. Thanks for bumping this thread. I love this idea.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Cool!

• Julie Drew
    9 years ago

That's so clever!

• marhol1
    9 years ago

Does regular Latex house paint adhere to the back of the glass switch plate cover? If not, what paint will adhere?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I used regular latex paint on mine. It takes a number of coats to look solid. It's protected, so it's pretty durable.

• marhol1
    9 years ago

That's great to know. Thanks. I will try to match the color of my glass subway tile, then. It sounds like you didn't have to use primer first, either.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

No Don't use primer .

Remember you are painting on the backside of the glass. So what you will see is the very bottom layer first. If you use primer what you will see is primer, not the paint color.

• dawm
    8 years ago

I also painted the back of glass covers to match my glass subway tile. Then baked them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour to cure the paint fast (put them in a cold oven so the temp change isn't too fast). My problem is the outlet boxes were not able to be pulled out, so I can only pull out the switch itself. Do I need to simply get longer screws to attach the cover? I ordered them on-line and they sent 'spacers' but no directions. The spacers are simply narrow plastic tubes. and the screws are the usual length for a cover. .

• Susan Katz
    8 years ago

I'm stuck with the same problem, dawn, and will be contacting Arnev next week. Kills me to pay an electrician to pull the boxes out just to install a switch plate. I did take a photo of my backsplash and sized it to fit exactly with the pattern. Now I just need to get these installed. Let me know if you find a solution. Thanks.

• dawm
    8 years ago

I started out using the tubes cut to length on the screws that secure the outlet to the box, but my other half just pulled them out and only screwed them in as much as needed to make them flush with the tiled surface. No spacer needed. I did find on-line that the make junction box extenders. No need to use an electrician, just make sure the breaker is off.

• dawm
    8 years ago

I should add that the extenders are sold at Home Depot, etc.

• stephanie_a_eady
    7 years ago

@lizajay I love the photo idea! Would you please give a bit of detail on how exactly you did this? Thank you!!

• Daniella Porzecanski
    7 years ago

Me too i would like to know!

• K Van
    5 years ago

Lisajay - I clearly don't know how to contact you directly, but LOVE your idea, one question, did you take a separate picture for each outlet, so the grout lines lined up?

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski
    5 years ago

Hello everyone..Glad I found this thread.I am doing glass subway as well..If you go to the Arnev.com website, they have some great customer ideas/photos! Yes I would imagine the photos were taken on each area to line up grout lines...It is also mentioned that if you do use a "photo to adhere to the back of the clear glass outlets, to be sure to put laminate on your photo first( so it wont bleed/wear/leak thru) . Hope this helps.

• K Van
    5 years ago

Thanks so much! And thanks for responding! Do you think ModPodge would be a good sealer?

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski
    5 years ago

K Van.. I am not sure about the ModPodge...I haven't ordered/done mine yet..

• K Van
    5 years ago

Stacy! Thanks so very kindly for the link to arnev! The ideas are limitless... such a fantastic resource! regards, Karen v