Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpollen

Refrigerator sticks out too much?

bpollen
9 years ago

I'm getting a new refrigerator. It will go into my small alcove, so I have height restrictions, but a generous width. The fridge can stick out somewhat without impeding traffic flow, but the appearance of sticking out bothers me since there IS a pathway in front of the fridge to go to a nearby door.

Here's my dilemma. I can choose either a side by side that is 32.4 depth w/o the handles, or a 30.5 depth top freezer. Cabinet depth fridges are too expensive, but besides that, they are too tall to fit under the cabinets that will be above the fridge.

Both fridges look good. Stainless steel. The side by side is a Kenmore, so the finish of the stainless will match my Kenmore vent hood. The top freezer, OTOH, will stick out 2" less, but has BLACK sides, which I don't like, and I think may call attention to the part of the cabinet that sticks out from the surrounding cabinets. It's a pretty frigdge, but basic with few organizational options. My choices in top freezers is limited because I want only ones that have a separate freezer controls, which is apparently now a rare feature.

The surrounding cabinets will be painted white.

Do you think it's that bad for the fridge to stick out 9 inches vs 7 inches? It bothers me a lot and has for years (when I think about it), but I don't know that anyone else has ever noticed. Refrigerators are big elephants in the room, anyway, so maybe we're all accustomed to them looming large in the kitchen.

So what do you think? The side by side with gray sides and bigger freezer and more organization possibiities inside? Or the less deep, traditional top mount with smaller freezer?

They both have about the same cubic feet but the top mount has a bit more pace sin the fridge part than the side by side, and a bit less in the freezer part than the side by side. If I find I need more freezer space, I can always get a small freezer for the garage.

Comments (6)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

You could cut out the drywall behind the fridge to get more room but the expense might cost more than a counter depth.
    Also, there are a few CDs that are not as tall. I bought my elux and assume the F-aire would be the same bit should verify. It was one of the few that fit in our pre reno kitchen. It was a close fit but worked. We reused it in our reno

• User
    9 years ago

Standard alcoves for fridges are 36''x 72''. You'll need that much space for clearances and future proofing. Standard fridges are 36''w x 70''h and around 32''-36'' deep. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by trying to plan something non standard. It limits your choices and ups your price.

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

my $0.02 - it's one thing to have a fridge that sticks out, it's another thing to BUY a new fridge, knowing it sticks out and knowing it's bothered you for "years".

Pictures and dimensions would help, but I really think you'd prefer an option that doesn't stick out as much as 7-9 inches.

You mentioned that if you need more freezer space (with one of the options), you could always get a freezer for the garage. How much would that cost? I would figure out what the true difference is between counter depth and standard depth, including the additional purchases you're willing to make, and see if it really is as much as you think. I hate that counter depth fridges are so much more expensive, but it really does make for a nice look when the fridge is all tucked in

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

one other thought - don't dismiss the idea of removing the cabinet that is giving you the height difficulty. If the fridge is surrounded by other cabinets, it may be tricky, but if it's more isolated, you might be able to remove the upper cabinet quite easily

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My first thought would be to try to recess the fridge into the wall behind it.

I went from a top freezer to a french door, and I'll never go back, even though I wasn't crazy about the idea of a french door. It is SO much easier to arrange/find things in the fridge when it's at eye level, and the freezer has a drawer in the freezer drawer to help keep those contents organized. We've had it for almost a year. I think the new fridge has a slightly smaller overall capacity than the old one, but it so much easier to organize, it feels a lot bigger.

I suggest looking at a LOT of fridges that might fit your dimensions. Bring a couple of gallon milk jugs and a pizza box, and see how it works for you.

Good luck, and take your time - it's too big an investment to rush.

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

Are you getting new cabinets and a new fridge or simply trying to buy a new fridge for an existing set of cabinets which will be painted?

This post was edited by itsallaboutthefood on Fri, May 30, 14 at 13:04

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996