Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrm1504

cabinet dedicated for dog food?

jrm1504
12 years ago

Does anyone have or have ever seen a kitchen cabinet dedicated for storing dog food?

We are in the process of laying out kitchen designs for a remodel and a thought I have is: where does the dog food go??

I'd like to be able to store a big bag. I have a 100lb Berner and plan on getting a second Berner in the next few months. So storing it in a small container isn't going to be very helpful as it would only last a day or two.

Any ideas on how it has been done?

Comments (19)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

Two Berners! That's alotta dog. I have a drawer dedicated for cat food, but it could easily be for dog food. I would say shop the containers that you might like to use to store the food, then see how they would fit into your cabinet scheme. Are you talking about a full 40-50# bag?

My cat food drawer is a 15"-wide full-height pullout. It has the two smaller interior drawers above, but those can be removed if I wanted to put a bigger/taller container in there.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

I have 2 GSDs and store about 60 lbs of food in a Rubbermaid Container. I keep it on the floor of my pantry (small closet, not a walk-in).

I think a great place to store it would be if you had a built-in bench seat with a morgue drawer in it. But it would probably have to have heavy-duty rail hardware to handle the weight of the dog food.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

buehl has one in the corner area between her cooktop and peninsula wing. it's a pull out under her prep sink if I remember correctly. she'll probably pop by and post it.

I saved one with a doggie bar below - but it's for a small dog. will find and post. you could do a version with a pull out for the food with a shelf on top of it for the dish. they sound like BIG dog(s) and maybe dish on the floor would be too low?

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Desertsteph - so Cute!

I haven't a dog but am sure a wannawoof owner. But I noticed these incredibly cute knobs while hardware shopping recently:

hmmm.... they looked better IRL to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emtek dog knobs

• mulemom
    12 years ago

Many years ago I built this bin to hold a 40lb bag of dog food. The design was based on an old blanket chest. The bin is less than 8 inches deep and about 18 inches wide. The hinged lid provides access to the dog food. The top 8-10 inches slides up and out to provide room to get a full bag of dog food in the bin. It has worked like a charm.

Looking at the pictures I now realize how beat up and dirty it looks! And it is forest green! Amazing how you use something everyday and don't really see it! Time to get out the paint can.

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

I wanted to put a roll-out trash bin in the sink base, but I guess that won't work. So instead, I am putting dog food under the sink. Maybe that might work for you, too.

• mastiffmom_85
    12 years ago

Yay for two berners! I love berners! :)

My guy eats a 40 lb bag of food in about two weeks; I've been keeping it in a rolling bin from PetEdge, which I love. Its only negative is that it's supposed to be big enough to hold 40 lbs of food, but it doesn't really. It holds about 36 lbs.

Since it's fairly slim and on wheels, I'm planning on storing it in my pantry at my new house. It has good wheels and is super easy to move if necessary. Maybe that might work for you?

~ Mastiff

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    12 years ago

Here are a couple of images I have saved on my computer. Neither of them are mine, unfortunately. My kitchen is virtually nonexistent.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I have a tall container (looks like a garbage can with a flip lid) that has a scoop inside that I will be storing in my walk-in pantry (on the floor). Right now it's sitting in my laundry room (because my pantry doesn't have sheetrock yet). My GSD is very intelligent and food-driven, so it is crucial that I put it somewhere she can't get to. She can (and has) opened kitchen cabinets so I cannot store any food in base level cabinets.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

buehl has one in the corner area between her cooktop and peninsula wing. it's a pull out under her prep sink if I remember correctly. she'll probably pop by and post it.

I saved one with a doggie bar below - but it's for a small dog. will find and post. you could do a version with a pull out for the food with a shelf on top of it for the dish. they sound like BIG dog(s) and maybe dish on the floor would be too low?

• senator13
    12 years ago

We also store ours in a large rubbermaid container in the pantry. I love that it is easy to do, move if we want, and clean!

• marytwit
    12 years ago

Well, I wouldn't say ours is "dedicated" -- the food has to share space with one of our our recycling bins. We have to squeeze hard to get both to fit. Dog pills & Greenies are kept in the refashioned ironing board cabinet, which now holds vinegars, etc, along with the pills. So everything's close at hand.

the dog:

the kitchen, cabinets closed:

dogfood cabinet:

thyroid pills and Greenies:

• jrm1504
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those pics that jakabedy and anememity posted are pretty much what I'm after. Now I can use those to explain to the cabinet people what I want. Just need to make it big enough to hold a big bags worth of food or have two basins...one for dog and one for puppy.

Luckily Henry is pretty indifferent about his food...my food on the other hand is different. He always is interested in that. I don't know about Berner #2 yet. He hasn't been born yet...hopefully he was conceived last week. Most seem pretty uninterested in their food, so I'm not expecting a ravenous beast.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

We are going to revamp a 15" full height base cab to have a tip out bin for our dog food. I have figured out the cubic space and it will be just right for the bags we buy. I will have it in my landing/mudroom area just off of our kitchen. I found some cool tip out flour bin hinges that I think will work great here...
    http://www.rufkahrs.com/hardw4/hoosr9b.html

I am excited to have this up and running but it'll probably be a while. I'll post later in the event that anyone is still interested.

Ne

• never_ending
    12 years ago

That's great idea Doggone!

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

We are going to build in a toe kick drawer underneath a "dog food" pullout for the dog to eat out of. We have a voracious eater (golden retriever) and don't need to worry about food sitting around. The pullout is 13", and the toe kick is 24".

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I was considering a pullout like the one pictured above but was concerned about the food staying fresh if it wasn't sealed. And one bag with a moth brought home could be all over my kitchen, so I decided against that approach. I use the my prep sink base for cat and dog food storage (2 of each). I have a lidded bin that came with wheels we didn't use for the dry dog food. I thought about putting it on a pullout tray, but so far, we haven't.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

27" wide cabinet with top drawer + two rollout tray shelves (ROTS)

• 15-20 pounds of dog food in 6-gallon snowflake can.

• Dog treats in 3-gallon Easter can.

• Ear & eye wipes, leashes, collars, etc. in top ROTS

(The top drawer has flashlights & batteries, for the most part.)

Another idea linked below

Here is a link that might be useful: Rev-A-Shelf, 35 Quart Waste Container Lid