Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatofreak

Blanco sink

tomatofreak
9 years ago

Does anyone have this sink? If so, did you have a problem with the faucet opening (mentioned in the reviews)? I'd love to get this; just need to know if you have experience with it and how you like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco sink

Comments (11)

• fishymom
    9 years ago

I have it, great sink. I didn't have any problems with the faucet opening but the first sink I got was damaged during shipping, another fairly common issue. I love this sink, just make sure you inspect it carefully and check for hairline cracks.

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

I have two Blanco sinks. I dont have my countertops yet - hopefully very soon within 2 or 3 weeks. The installer was here last Thursday and noticed that he will need to cut into the front "panel" of the sink cabinets (which are Ikea) because of the way the top front of the IKEA cabinet is constructed.

This is hard for me to explain. I looked for a diagram but didn't find one. Basically, there is a 2 1/2 inch wide length of MDF that lays flat and connects on top the right and left sides of the the sink cabinet. If you add the front cabinet doors at about 3/4 of an inch and the lip of the countertop overhang which will add another 3/4 of an inch and the slope (and thinkness) of the silgranit sink, there would be at least a 5 inch distance in front from edge of sink cabinet installed to where the sink opening actually begins.

I've heard over and over here on this forum that this is a recipe for back problems so I was glad when my installer/fabricator noticed this and brought it to my attention. Bottom line is that you want to minimize the "leaning forward" that the person at the sink must do in order to reach into the sink and use.

I've also read here about other "hacks" that are made to sinks in order to make them fit the cabinets properly - many are related more to width than like in my case, the depth (i.e. from front to back). This is not the problem I'm referrring to here. Wanted to mention this here in case the Original poster has an Ikea/akurum sink cabinet.

Knowing what I know now, I would get an apron sink. I didn't realize that these apron sinks are not popular because of their "farmhouse" style as much as for the fact that they allow for a minimum distance from front to back because you don't have to make room for the countertop section/piece in front.

Just thought I'd mention. My installer didn't seem to think this was a "show stopper" kind of problem but thought I'd mention it here for anyone else to know in advance.

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the cabinet issue advice. I don't have a cabinet yet, but I definitely don't want to be leaning in to use the sink. Do you all think it's easy to crack the sink? Or does it take dropping it before installation? I love the look, but want to feel sure that it holds up well.

• corgimum
    9 years ago

I have that sink and love it! Be sure to check it carefully for damage!

• dakota01
    9 years ago

I love my blanco sink! I know the granite installer checked mine over while I was there to make sure it wasn't damage. They said they are frequently damaged in transit. It's so nice not to have to try and no scratch a stainless sink anymore. No water spots!

• tomatofreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have long been a fan of Kohler's cast iron sinks, but I haven't found a bargain in black that's a single bowl. No way am I going with stainless (unless it's free, maybe); it is impossible to prevent water spots. I use Barkeeper's Friend on all my stainless, but I'd be buying it by the case if I had to keep up with a stainless sink.

• evenshade
    9 years ago

I have had that sink for about 5 years and it looks as good as the day it was installed. Tough, tough sink. I recommend getting the SS grid that goes in the bottom. It makes it easier to rinse by keeping things up off the bottom. I wash it in my dishwasher by removing the top rack.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

elphaba:

I've made that cabinet alteration many times to accommodate a sink. It's no big deal.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I just ordered my Silgranit Super Single in Cinder (say that five times fast). I was iffy on the grid. I ordered it. I read that with such a big sink you can leave some things to dry to one side in the rack. That sounds great. I'm glad to hear another endorsement of it here.

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

I have that sink in Metallic Grey and love it. Ordered it through Amazon and it arrived in pristine condition. I have the grate too and love it.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i have a similar model, the one with the small bowl and large bowl. i bought it to top mount, my fabricator under mounted it even though it is technically not the proper cabinet size so i was really worried but they assured me that if i ever have a problem, they will fix it for free. i love the sink! i actually really love the under mount with positive reveal as well even though i originally hated it:)
    if you have a plumbing supply store nearby, check out their pricing. i got my sink cheaper than online from a recommended blanco vendor. it was in stock and in perfect condition. blanco has a list of their approved dealers on their website. btw i have the anthracite and its so pretty

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz