Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideamom_gw

Help settle this dispute regarding round knob placement

ideamom
15 years ago

Our ORB round knobs arrived today and DH & I are having a dispute over where on the cabinet door they should be placed. I say they should go in the bottom corner of each cab. door & he says they should be higher up. Who is correct? If you can show me pics of your knobs on your cabinets it would help.

Comments (15)

• lily1342
    15 years ago

How much higher up does DH want them? Mine are slightly more than an inch from the bottom corners on the wall cabs and, then again, slightly more than an inch from the top corners of the base cabs. It's probably a matter of personal preference which spot seems more comfortable but this is what works for me. On our old cabinets, the knobs on the wall cabs were really high - about a foot above the bottom corners. I really hated that. It seemed very awkward to me. Here's a pic showing mine:
    {{!gwi}}

• ideamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your knobs are nicely placed. DH wanted them about 1-2 inches higher than yours. That definitly looked funny to me. I do like how yours are placed so that would be a good compromise for DH & I.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

Is your dh tall? I've seen some higher that husband's had installed and that seemed a natural place for them but not to the wife. I placed my pulls low on the door, about an inch from the bottom.

• sue36
    15 years ago

Mine are placed in almost the exact spot Lily's are placed.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, I never noticed where mine were and I'm surprised to say my uppers are about 4-5" from the bottom of the door. The lower ones are about 3" from the tops. Oh h_ll, now you've given us one more thing to fight about when we install the new cabinets. LOL

Now that I've actually looked at the placement I think I'd like them 1 or about 2" higher than Lily's.

Good luck, please post photo's after the installation.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

bottom corner. definitely.

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

Ah, you are at that fun phase of installation called "examine about 35 kitchens on the fkb so you can be sure you like your knob placement." Brings back memories! *sigh*

It's a combination of looks and function. My eye tends to not like knobs placed right in the geometrical corner. I prefer them a little higher up. I have seen kitchens where they are right in the center of the doors--upper and lower!

Get a wad of blue tape, and make some mock knobs. Stick them on, and see how they look and feel. We stressed about this so much in our previous kitchen. We were installing the knobs, and we were so nervous to drill those first permanent holes. In my current kitchen, I'm copying existing vintage cabinetry, so I actually have less choice about location. And I have painted cabs, so when we have made mistakes, I just grab the wood glue and toothpicks, and start over!

Francy

• igloochic
    15 years ago

i like them in the exact corner as well....but then again...i don't have ank knobs lik that....i have to figure out placement on 26 different knobs lol but i do know that i'll be using the exact corner miter center as my guide.

• robin_d
    15 years ago

Here's mine:

Here is a link that might be useful: My Eventually Almost Mostly Finished Budget Craftsman Kitchen

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Mine are in the corner like the ones pictured. My dad put his in the corner of the inside panel. I don't really understand that.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

My knobs are squarish, so don't know if that makes a difference. But we decided (OK, DH decided) to place them in the exact centre of where the two stiles intersect. I went to take a picture, and realized that because of the design of the knob, the lower part of the 'square' extends further than the upper part- so the rod (correct term?) that attaches the knob to the door is in the exact centre, but the bottom edge of the knob is closer to the bottom of the stile than the top is to the top of the stile- I know, only a TKO would ever notice or care...

But, looking at a lot of the pics posted, most have narrower stiles, I think ours works in this position (IMHO) cuz we have wide stiles. If we'd placed the tops at the top of the stile or even higher they would be too high. Perfect comfort height for DH and I at 5'6" each, and low enough for petite 5'0" DD, and bean rod DS just has to cope (he probably doesn't use the knobs anyways!!!)

{{!gwi}}

• jeanar
    15 years ago

Referring to upper cabinets, I would expect to see knobs in one of three ways: with the knob's bottom edge aligned with top edge of the bottom stile (Lily's), with the knob's top edge aligned with the top edge of the stile (about an inch higher than raehlen's), or on center with the edge of the stile (robin d). Can't say I've ever noticed anything else.

• lily1342
    15 years ago

I also think knobs right in the geometrical center of the corners looks good, but in my case, I didn't want to be drilling a hole through the miter where the rail and stile meet. Not sure if doing that would cause some future problem but I didn't want to drill on that seam just in case. Shaker door styles don't have the mitered corners so you have more leeway in deciding on the spot.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I like raehelen's, which are where I think is the most logical, symmetrical place. I'll be posting pix (I hope next week) for y'all to express your opinions (laughing at me all the way, I'm sure).

• awm03
    15 years ago

At eye level, for most of the upper cabs.

I remember going round & round on this subject. I spent hours looking over an English magazine that I like & noticed that those kitchens had various knob placements, whereas the American kitchens pretty much stick to knobs in the corners. The pictures I liked best had small, eye-level knobs that blended into the cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: knob placement at eye level