Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Window to counter

judydel
15 years ago

Anyone regret having the window behind their sink extend down to the counter? I'm just wondering if this arrangement makes it easier to break the glass with a "stray pot" or other pans with an attitude.

In all seriousness, I'll have a double sink and will be stacking hand washables on one side. I hope I don't end up hitting the window by mistake when handling bigger items.

I do know that the window will probably get water drops when my husband shakes water from his huge hands. But that I can live with. A broken window is another matter.

Comments (10)

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

Have had the window down to the counter in the past, and am doing the same thing in our new kitchen. I just love the look and the extra light! Never, ever, did I even come close to having something accidentally fall into the window from the dish drainer. Anyway, you would pretty much have to THROW a pot at the window to break it, I think!

The water spatters, now that IS an issue, but one I choose to put up with. Incidentally, my MIL has very hard well water and HER window spatters DON'T COME OFF! )o: It looks terrible. That "down-to-the-counter" window definitely is not doing anything to enhance the beauty of her otherwise lovely kitchen. Something to keep in mind if you live in an area with especially hard water and don't have a softener.

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads up regarding the hard water. We have well water but any spots that get on the window currently clean off no problem.

Your poor MIL! Have she considered a softener?

• gobruno
    15 years ago

We're considering doing the window to the counter too, and I worry about the paint on the window frames getting worn looking with all the water that is bound to hit it. Has that been an issue?

Shanghaimom, we had issues with hard water on windows, etc. too, and I found that if you use a Mr. Clean Magic eraser (greatest cleaning product ever), it comes off! Seriously, you should have your mother in law try it. It doesn't scratch the window and the spots come off. I used it in desperation after scrubbing and scrubbing to no avail, and I was amazed. It's changed my life!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

We have semi-hard water too, and I was worried about water spots on the window. The window frame wasn't an issue because the window was wide enough that the frames on the sides wouldn't be near the sink ... and no frame on the bottom since it's down to the counter. We decided to bump out our window 6 inches. It was pretty inexpensive to do but what a huge difference those 6 inches make! There is lots of room behind the faucet/sink and splashes don't reach the glass. Something to think about if you're still in the early planning stages.

Erika

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Gobruno and Judydel, I just saw this...I would highly recommend looking at Erikanh's window set up. I SO wish we had done this. Our window is much like the one in your plan, Gobruno...wide enough to span behind the sink and both dishwashers, but it's up off the counter a bit and not set back. I LOVE the look of Erika's and ours is constantly covered in unsightly little splashes/water drops. Our rangetop is set out from the wall, because of having deep counters on either side, and I see there that the 3" or so of space keep a lot of splashes from making it to the backsplash so wish I had that advantage behind the main sink, too. And the extra light and openness that the window to the counter offers would be nice, too. I've been asking my dh how much trouble it would be to make the change before he does the interior window trim. I hate to put him to the work, and pay the extra for another window, but better now than later, or than looking through the messy window and wishing for the next 40 years!

• rsslp
    14 years ago

Erika can you send a link to your kitchen so we can see what you did with your window... that sounds like a really great idea bumping it out. thanks.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I totally stole this idea from mamadadapaige, so check hers out too. The window is bumped out 7 1/2 inches. This makes the window glass over 16 inches away from the back of my faucet.

Here's how it looks from the outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to see mamadadapaige's windows

• gobruno
    14 years ago

Oh, I love it. I just e-mailed our GC the pictures. I'm sure he's sick of getting the links from GW that I'm constantly sending him! Thanks for looking out for me rhome! I was planning on bumping out the kitchen sink base cabinet 3 inches bc I hate how our faucet handle is always bumping up against the backsplash, but this way, I can keep it in line and there's plenty of room in back of the faucet. Erika, I love your kitchen!

• judydel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just saw these last several posts. Wow! Erika I love your window bump out. Definitely will do that when we install the new window. Thanks everyone for the responses.

• HU-231576394
    last year

Im doing the countertop windows too.

where did you have your countertop drain board cut? i would love that in my quartz!