Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline12

LCaroline's kitchen reveal - lots of pictures!

LCaroline12
9 years ago

First, I just want to thank the GW community for giving so much support and guidance through our kitchen reno. This is 90% done, still needs under cabinet lighting and 4" can lights in the soffit. The fluorescent light will come out, too. There's also a mismatched cabinet door, looks like it was stained a different color, so a new one is on the way. Wine and chocolate for the first to person to find the "off" cabinet! Otherwise I have a functioning kitchen again! Husband is a farmer and did some of the work himself. I also work out of the home and we have twin toddler daughters, age 1.5. Here's a picture of the little darlings :)

H would have been perfectly happy with this early 1980's kitchen for the rest of his life, but I finally convinced him it was time for an update. I think we spent more time researching our options than anything else, but if there's one thing I learned in that project management seminar, it's that successful projects require 80% planning and 20% doing! The before kitchen:

I have drooled over so many of your kitchens on this forum, but my expensive kitchen must wait for another day when our kids are grown. In the meantime I'm thinking braces, college and weddings, AND I don't trust toddlers with anything nice. ;)

Ultimately I decided to keep the kitchen layout the same, with only a few tweaks here and there. The obvious problem with my old kitchen was the low hanging cabinets over the peninsula. I batted around the idea of an L shape with an island, but truth be told, I like my peninsula!

I had the unpleasant task of clearing out the cabinet contents with babies underfoot while H was farming. I did NOT pick the proper time of year to start this project. I reeeally underestimated how much crap I had in my cabinets! H and his friends had the old kitchen taken out in less than 2.5 hours, and these cabinets and countertops now reside in the neighbor's shed.

We purchased the cabinets and countertops from a local construction supply store and I'm really pleased with the outcome, except for that "off" cabinet to the left of the sink. We hired a contractor, who's also a friend, to do the cabinet and counter install. Husband installed the DW and another friend installed the sink. The overall cost of this kitchen with labor was just under $7,000. Without further ado, here 'tis!

Here are the details:

Cabinets - Homecrest, light hickory, dover door style, soft close hinges

Countertop - Formica Jamocha Granite, only problem with it is I can't tell when it's dirty!

Sink & Faucet - Moen kit from Lowe's

Hardware - Oil rubbed bronze

Sink pendant light - Allen + Roth Bristow pendant from Lowe's. I think it's handsome and it ties in with my bronze hardware.

Appliances - (not new) Samsung SS from Lowe's

The flooring didn't change either, it's Earth Werks Vinyl.
These are stainless Gruntal spice containers from Ikea. Love 'em!

I picked up the wooden crates on top of the fridge from an antique store. I wasn't sure how it would look without cabinets there, but I like this. I never used the cabinets above the fridge, and these crates are much more accessible.

The sticker decal on the soffit is from dalidecals.com. Jeremiah 29:11

It's amazing how a few tweaks here and there have made this space so much more functional. I moved the DW down the peninsula so I can now stand between it and the sink. All of my everyday dishes are within easy reach.

I have pull out drawers for my pots and pans and a cabinet with a rack for my tall, awkward stuff. I also love my super huge junk drawer!

I DID lose a lot of storage when those upper cabinets came down, but worry not! They fit perfectly in my laundry room, which is just through the door to the left of the kitchen. I also took advantage of this and purged, big time! Did we really need 8 lunch boxes and a quesadilla maker? Probably not!

That's all I have for now! Thanks for reading!

Comments (40)

• feisty68
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a fantastic improvement to have those upper removed! Gosh your girls are cutie pies. I think that's my favourite age, before they start talking constantly ;)

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Wow - you have a beautiful new kitchen! The hickory cabinets are really nice and taking down the cabinets over the peninsula opens the kitchen up so much. Lovely baby girls too :-)

• crl_
    9 years ago

Your girls are just adorable! And the kitchen is great too. Such a huge improvement with an enviably low budget.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Great job! It looks really nice, you made good choices.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Oh I'm so happy for you! I remember when you were frustrated about the dishwasher b/c your husband was too busy in the fields.

What a wonderful looking space for such a low budget, you really transformed it! Your daughters, if I didn't already have 4 of my own, I might steal them away, they look so adorable!

Congrats and enjoy your wonderful new space!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What an improvement and it's gorgeous. No more '80s claustrophobic kitchen- I hope your DH is happy with the transformation because it's easy to see why you are.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

Awesome job, you must love the new open feel. I love the wood.

Beautiful girls, too, you are a brave woman for tackling this with two little ones underfoot.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Your girls are adorable; love their matching ballet flats!

The kitchen looks much bigger and brighter. And I love those crates. Enjoy your new space.

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

Love the varigated wood grain of the hickory. Your new kitchen is beautiful. Soon your darling daughters will be boosted up at your counters and helping you. Enjoy your new kitchen.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Both the kitchen and the girls! What a difference taking down the uppers over the peninsula.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

What an excellent job of balance! You have light and bright, and yet warmth. You have color and flare, and yet calmness. You have done a terrific job of creating beauty and function while balancing this with resource management for your daughters' future needs! Much here to be greatly commended. A very welcoming, warm, pretty space. The cabinets were a perfect choice!

• ControlfreakECS
    9 years ago

It looks great!

What I love so much is how well you show what a beautiful kitchen can be accomplished on a budget remodel. I know there are lots of big projects done by GW members, but there are also many like yours. And I always cringe when people post and feel like they need to add a "disclaimer" that it won't be huge, expensive remodel. To me, GW Kitchens is much more about helping people get functional kitchens then showing off flashy, high end appliances.

There is nothing about your kitchen that doesn't feel like a "dream kitchen" to me.

• bpath
    9 years ago

You kept what worked and you liked, and changed what didn't, and it's wonderful. I hear ya on the U-shape, I like my peninsula, too. And while my speckled corian Is pretty I can't see when it's dirty...sweeping a few crumbs into my hand turns into a bulldozer operation. And I can't wait to replace the tile floor with cushy vinyl! Love all your choices! Wishing you and the girls many happy messes!

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Nice! I really like the idea of crates above the fridge. We're coming to the end of a kitchen remodel too and don't have a cabinet for that area either. I'm not sure the crates would look as good in my kitchen as they do in yours, but you've got me thinking about some kind of good looking container-type thing that would be attractive as well as useful. Thanks!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Such darling girls. Removing the peninsula uppers made such a huge difference. It must be nice to have an open, airy kitchen & eating area.
    Your kitchen looks terrific. It's hard to believe you spent only $7000. Love the message on your soffet.
    Enjoy those girls & your new kitchen!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Wow-ee, amazing difference, you must feel so relieved! And of you ever need a home...err....babysitter for those yummy babies I am available. :P

• lam702
    9 years ago

First of all, your girls are just the cutest! Now, as for the kitchen....Wow! What a difference. . I like my peninsula too, I know islands are the thing today and they are great if you have the room. But I have seen some small kitchens where the island appears to be squeezed in, and all I can think of is, how cramped that must be when you get a few guests in there. For some kitchens, a peninsula serves your needs better.. Love your new cabinets, the natural wood is beautiful. I love to see remodels on a budget, we did ours for about $7000 too. There are some truly amazing kitchens done with unlimited funds, but when you are working with a tight budget, it always impresses me what folks can do within that budget. Great job!

• tea4all
    9 years ago

You are wise in how you improved function and esthetics and kept within a budget. Although it was daring to do this with toddlers, you will be forever grateful that you did it now! It will make all the cooking/baking for your family so much easier on you. Life continues to get busier. Those sweet daughters will learn to cook because farm life requires lots of food fuel to work.

Enjoy your family and lovely kitchen! Best wishes to you from an older farm gal who now lives in the city!

• sas95
    9 years ago

You did a lovely job. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I am sure you and your beautiful, sweet family will all have wonderful memories in your warm and lovely new kitchen. That's what is important and so wise of you to consider and stick to your budget. It is such a great transformation. I have never understood why cabinets are installed right at eye level into the dining area. It's so annoying!!! Great that you could get rid of that. I'm so impressed with what you have done. I love that scripture, it looks great in your dining area. Great job! Congrats!

• ardcp
    9 years ago

looks awesome! nicely done and on a small budget too! i am super impressed with what you accomplished:)
    love the ikea spice holders! do you have them magnatized to your frig?

• peony4
    9 years ago

Congratulations! What an improvement! There are farmers in my family, so I appreciate what you've accomplished this time of year.

Your girls are too sweet!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I have the exact same cabinet lay out.. We will be removing the cabinets over the peninsula too..i was trying to figure out what to do with the "new" corner. I was thinking a corner cab too...wonderful to see how it works!

It looks great!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Ardcp, those gruntal containers have a nice magnet on the back, and I really like having them stuck to the fridge like this! terri, our contractor wasn't terribly excited about a corner cabinet there, but with the way the soffit curves around I thought it would look better than a straight cabinet. It's probably also easier to access!

• amck2
    9 years ago

Beautiful little girls! Congratulations on your kitchen redo. Removing the hanging cabinets transformed the space. I know you'll all enjoy making memories there. Thanks for sharing.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Congratulations! The transformation with those cabinets down is just amazing. What a great job, while keeping the budget in check. Hats off to your husband for spending his "spare" time off the farm to work on the space.

• ktj459
    9 years ago

What an amazing transformation! Love the hickory cabinets- they are such a nice tone and warm up the space without overwhelming it like the old cabs did. Your girls are precious! My son is a few months older than them- so much fun! I can't imagine two at once and a kitchen reno, though! Good for you for managing that without losing your sanity!

• nmjen
    9 years ago

What a great transformation, and what adorable little girls! I especially like the spice tins and the pendant light. I hope you're enjoying your new space!

• ppbenn
    9 years ago

Huge improvement! The best use of $7000 I've seen in a long time! You will love being able to see right through to the table from the sink, especially with those cutie pie girls!

• gothaml
    9 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! So warm and inviting! Nice job:)

• wags848
    9 years ago

Lovely upgrade! Warm and inviting. Nice job!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

What a lovely transformation. Your kitchen is so warm and inviting. Hickory cabinets are among my favorite.

Your daughters are precious. Enjoy all the good times to come!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

A lovely, thoughtful kitchen in which to watch and feed your beautiful family. Can I pinch those babies,,, and hear them giggle? I can see their giggle!

You are helping others so much. Thanks, Caroline.

• User
    9 years ago

What a fantastic befor/after. I'm dumbfounded that you did so much for such a reasonable price tag. The end result looks like such a happy warm place - I hope you and your adorable kids have many happy memories in your beautiful new space!

• bluestarrgallery
    9 years ago

love the hickory cabinets and the fact you moved the DW down, good planning, love the open plan, beautiful and your daughters are so cute sitting together with their hats

• fishymom
    9 years ago

Your babies are darling! And your kitchen is so warm and inviting, I love the green with your hickory cabinets! Your wicker utensil crock is really cute.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I've seen some lovely pictures on this board, but those twins may be the best.

• shelayne
    9 years ago

Oh, what a wonderful transformation with an amazing budget! Well done! You will have many happy times in that kitchen with your adorable, precious girls!

Jeremiah 29:11--that is one of my favorite verses, too! :)

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

Your toddlers are too cute!! Adorable! Kitchen is nice too! :)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Your girls are darling and will love helping you in your new kitchen!
    Nice job at opening the kitchen. What a major improvement from before!!
    Love that hickory wood - it fits perfectly in your kitchen (despite the one off color one which will be fixed)
    Looking forward to KAW pictures as our girls grow up