Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs_n_co_gw

Has anyone put plant lights in their kitchen window?

flwrs_n_co
9 years ago

As part of my kitchen remodel, I want to bring my big kitchen window down to the counter and push it out about 6 to 8 inches. I'd like to use it to grow herbs all year long. The problem is my kitchen is on the north side of the house, so in order to get the plants to grow decently I'll need plant lights. I was wondering if anyone has built grow lights into their window box. I've been on this forum for about 5 years (although I haven't been on the forum as much in the last year due to work and family health issues) and have never read about anyone doing this (and I also did a search for the subject). If anyone has done this, would you please share how you did it? I need info on bulbs used, any special socket or other electrical required? Any info/advice will be appreciated--thanks!

Comments (7)

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

I had one in my closet in college when I was growing 'herbs'.

• flwrs_n_co
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, I almost started my post by commenting on living in CO and legalized weed! Our house backs up to a golf course--maybe the golfers will start wondering . . . ;)

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

Plant lights have to be fairly close to the tops of the plants and the fixture would be right there in your face. An Aero Garden would work but that might not be the leafy window look you are trying to achieve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aero Garden

• julia42
    9 years ago

Yeah. To grow plants, you really need a light that's height adjustable. You can buy cheap grow lights at Walmart and set them up, but they're not pretty, and you have to be able to adjust how close they are to the foliage (2" above the foliage is preferable). I hang my grow lights from cables so I can pull them up as needed, but it's ugly and I wouldn't want it in my kitchen window. Also, grow lights are kind of harsh - I would think they'd make the kitchen feel less welcoming.

Some herbs are less finicky about light than others, though. I would think many herbs that are full grown will do okay on a windowsill even without direct light. I would think thyme, chives, and rosemary might do okay. I wouldn't try basil, or other leafy herbs that grow quickly or that you'd be starting from seed - they'll get leggy.

I do agree that AeroGarden might be something to look into.

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

Many, many years ago, I used to grow african violets in the basement using lights. I had two old fluorescent fixtures and tacked on an incandescent socket and bulb for completion of the spectrum. (Didn't want to buy special purple grow tubes.)

It worked perfectly. The plants had the blooming flower head surrounded by a ring of leaves, just like all the pictures in magazines. When a plant got to that state, I'd bring it upstairs to enjoy; cycling the plants so there would always be one in that state.

Yes, the lights had to be pretty close to the plants, not at ceiling height. The increase in my electric bill wasn't pretty.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have an adjustable plant light. It works similar to a Venetian blind.
    Mine is a south window but a giant spruce blocks much of the light on our garden style window.
    I do grow herbs with limited success. For some reason, my chives decided they live their current location and are flourishing. (And not under the light)

My parsley and basil do ok. I have to episodically replace other herbs if they croak.

Bottom line - you need a green thumb to go with your light and I don't seem to have the correct color thumbs.

• flwrs_n_co
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please excuse my unresponsiveness; I've been out all day and just got home. Thank you so much for your responses!

Scpalmetto - I'll definitely keep the AeroGarden in mind. If my "grand plan" doesn't work out, it would definitely be a way of keeping a supply of basil, rosemary, thyme, and parsley.

Julia42 - I know that way back when I was in college and had over 100 plants from the botanical gardens in my dorm room (from a practical botany course), I had fluorescent plant fixtures. Definitely not attractive, and I think we had them a couple feet over the plants (they were tiered, so the lowest plants were even further from the fixture). I guess I was hoping the technology had evolved more since then.

DreamingoftheUP - I love the UP! DH's family is from the Soo. I love african violets; they always remind me of one of my grandmothers. Your suggestion to rotate is definitely a possibility, but I really don't have any good place to set up the main herb garden. Maybe I could make some room in my basement. Definitely another possibility if my plan doesn't work out.

a2gemini - do you know the name of your plant light or where you bought it? I'm having a little trouble picturing it and a search of the internet didn't come up with anything.

I found some LED plant bulbs that I thought might be workable. I'd put them on a separate switch. The window is currently 38 inches high and 114 inches wide. The width will stay the same, but the height will change to 43 or 45 inches high, depending on if I raise my counters a couple of inches. Of course, if the lights are too far away to be effective, I may as well not bother and go another route (like the AeroGarden). I'll have to do some more research and try to figure this out.

Any other ideas/suggestions? Anyone???

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations