Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Need Pix of Custom Hoods for 36' Range Plz

drjoann
13 years ago

I will have a 36" gas range with 4 burners (23K BTU) + grill. I'm getting a Prestige liner with a 1200 CFM remote blower on the roof. My appliance guy says that the 27" depth is crucial for the capture area, but it can be as little as 36" wide, and 42" would be good.

My cabinetmaker just sent me the 1st revision of the plans & he got the depth fixed, but he is insisting on 48" wide so that the corbels are in proportion. Without going into all of the details, the 48" hood is part of the reason that an opening from the kitchen into the keeping room which had been 12ft wide for a 13 1/2ft room has been closed down to ~8'-8". This is definitely not the look we were going for.

It is a white kitchen with stacked (10'ceilings) inset cabinets and recessed doors. Very simple traditional. I don't know what kind of corbels he is planning on, but if is means I have to have a 48" wide hood for a 36" range, I need some other options to present to him.

I would appreciate any pictures y'all could share with me. I'd like the hood to have some kind of shelf that I could put decorative plates on, but not a requirement. It needs to go all the way to the ceiling because I can't vent to an outside wall.

Thanks for the help - Jo Ann

Comments (15)

• grlwprls
    13 years ago

drjoann, we have a similar set up (and I don't have pictures yet because we are still in the construction phase) - but we have a 36" range on a wall where we have to vent out through the ceiling. We're building a 40" standard drywall chase, finishing it like plaster, and putting a chunky reclaimed heart pine mantle on it so I can display some pretty French plates my MIL gave me and my grandfather's brass pig :-)

We don't have corbels, and the reason we went with the chase is that I thought our cabinet company's offerings were too much in the fancy department and they come with the liner (but not the blower) and the cabinet shop had had a lot of complaints. We bought a Thermador liner and blower set up from the appliance shop.

Our kitchen is soft white inset, black wrought iron hardware, soapstone/wood countertops and a La Cornue Fe Albertine. Traditional all the way, but I really wanted a simple hood treatment.

• megradek
    13 years ago

here's our hood - our cabinet maker made it off of my inspiration pic. we've got 9'ceilings and 36" cooktop, but it is 47" wide. HTH

• doonie
    13 years ago

drjoann, This was one of my inspiration photos:

And this is our wooden hood with a 36" Wolf Rangetop underneathe. The ceilings are 9 foot. My installer raised the heighth of the hood, so I have plenty of room for cooking.

I wanted traditional too, but not too ornate. This is the corbel I ended up with and I am very happy with it. (I am planning on plates up above too.)

Hope this helps some. Good luck!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Dr.Joann,

Here are a few. I was wondering how your kitchen was
    coming along. If I remember correctly you were moving down
    south from New England or maybe you said you liked Boston
    and That is why I thought New England... On to the hoods.
    ~boxerpups

Heather Thompson

Ronys Marble and Granite Island

White Kitchens

Eastern Kitchens

Atlanta Best Nest

CJS Millwork

Virginia Cream Kitchen

Nashville Kitchens

Kitchen and Bath Design Center

Okay, Okay I threw this one in just for eye candy : )

SRS Woodworking

William Hefneropen kitchen Concealed Hood

Light Yosowat kitchen design

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, those help a great deal. Thanks.

mairin - your hood is 47" wide, but could easily be scaled down to 42", especially if it went straight across rather than having an arch.

doonie - those are pretty corbels, not overly elaborate, but not too plain. How wide is your hood over the 36" wolf?

Other pictures are more than welcome. I went to the FKB and looked at every kitchen with the "custom hood" label. I'd like to be able to give the cabinetmaker several pictures.

Thanks - Jo Ann

• doonie
    13 years ago

joann, my hood measures 48.5" wide and is 39.5" above the rangetop.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

boxerpus - ((((((hugs)))))) We were cross-posting.

Those are great. I don't want a hearth-style setup, but there are some ideas there I can use.

I live in TX & we're building in SC, but much of the inspiration for the house came from the architects featured on the Boston Design Group (scaled way down). I have a folder of just about every kitchen on that site, so I will look in there.

The house is coming along & we were supposed to go there next week for the MEP walkthrough. However, what the cabinetmaker submitted to me isn't sufficiently mature, so we will delay a week.

I know this is OT, but this is the current state of the build from a picture our neighbor took this morning. The windows & doors went in yesterday.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you think I should go with the 48" wide x 27" deep hood over the 36" range? That run of cabinets has a 24" wall oven tower on the right and the range to the left of center so the prep island is not so much a barrier island.

I can control the length of the run by changing the opening from the kitchen to the keeping room. The plans have it as 12' into a 13.5' room. When I played around with it, I reduced the opening to 11' and the range fit nicely with a 42" hood. The cabinet maker reduced it even more by the way he shifted the range down while maintaining a 48" hood. I don't know if he realized it, but he shut the opening down to 8'-8" which is unsatisfactory. That is the one place in the house that we want a really open feeling.

I'll work on it over the weekend & post a layout and some renderings. I did a quick look online & really like this corbel style if I could get it in the right proportions:

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Dr.Joann,

It is coming along! You must be thrilled. I love the
    trees around your home to be. Gorgeous.

Here are a few more hoods that are non hearth type. Sorry
    I was not sure when I posted them. Good luck and get what
    you want. You deserve it!
    ~boxer

Brooke Gianetti designs

Look at the marble trim on the hood. Amazing.

Askers Kitchens

• country_smile
    13 years ago

drjoann - We had a similar scenario because I didn't want a 48" hood over our 36" cooktop because then they would have had to scale down my cabinets with glass doors on either side. My original sketch for the cabinet maker included corbels on either side of the hood, so I eliminated the corbels and drew up another sketch with onlays to help dress up the hood.

Hope these help.

This photo helps you to see the width of the shelf...

and a view from a distance.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

country_smile: yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I want. I don't even need the onlays. Since my uppers are inset, recessed panels, the cabinetmaker can take the decorative cues from that. Would you mind sharing the dimensions? How wide is it? How deep is the capture area and then how much does it step back?

I found something I liked on the FKB, but had to finagle the Webshots site to allow me to copy it. This is from AnnaLeeF's kitchen. The Cluny is 29+ inches wide and it sounds like the capture area is 29-30" deep. Again, need to fit the trim to my cabinets, but I love the chamfered edges.

Thanks for the help - Jo Ann

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, Where did this image come from? I'd like to see more of the room.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

One of my all time favorites! LOVE the oak cabinet in the eating area.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I knew I recognized that kitchen. Thanks.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, I am just dying here! I love the look of a custom hood, but that was the one thing with which DH & I had to compromise. *sigh*