Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Pooling or spots on Zodiac quartz

sue_ct
15 years ago

I am concerned because of problems posted here by others, I believe with Cambria quartz countertops. I ordered mine through Costco, who is using NBC solid surface in Springfield, Vt. They only work with storefronts, like Costco and Lowes (although my local Lowes does not use them). I asked if I could see my slab, and was told they don't usually do that with quartz, only with very directional granites. I asked about blotches and was told there were manufacturer specs and they would only go by those. I checked Zodiac's website and the standards for warranty service only included blotches larger than a quarter or color variances visible from 7 feet away under general lighting.

This is making me crazy. I have seen beautiful quartz countertops with no visible blotches. I don't want one of the countertops that is full of them.

Isn't there any way to insure you get a nice quartz countertop nowadays?

Has anyone had a problem with pooling or bloches in Zodiac?

Has anyone had Costco or NBC surfaces in VT install your countertops?

I CAN'T SLEEP!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: NBC solid surfaces

Comments (46)

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, both Cambria and Zodiac address it in their waranties, and more than one person here has said they have them. I did note, however, that the poster who is replacing hers had a countertop that was a color that had orange in it and the blotches were orange, and were quite visible. In my case, the Cappuccino I ordered has basically a beige background, so I don't know what color any "blotches" might be, but if they were beige or other light color they would not be as visible unless they were pure white.

But I also read on an HGTV forum (Carpentershop just won't go away with his biased opions, but ingore them here) where "Tom999" states:

"Zodiak and Cambria both are having problems with color pooling (blotches of the resin). Zodiak put out a memo, saying if the pooling is only in 1/4 of the sheet, the whole sheet is considered A grade. Problem is, most people would never accept this blotch of color, so, extra material needs to be purchased to cover the fabricaters butt."

So I don't think it is that rare. Maybe that is why some are more expensive, but none will say there won't be any that I talked to. I just want to be sure those slabs are not being funneled to large distributors like Costco and Lowes in whole or in part because of the lower prices negotiated.

I would go with laminate first, even though I was adamant that I didn't want that again. But at least it doesn't cost $3,000-$4,000+ for a small to medium kitchen.

Anyway, even if it isn't rare, at least it may not be as common as I was starting to fear. Thanks for the information and reassurance. :)

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Pooling of color on quartz

• old1880home
    15 years ago

Hi Sue, I'm the one with the bad pooling in my Cambria top. My sister works in the installed sales department at Lowe's but she lives three hours away from me. I would've bought from there originally but I got such a "good deal" going through Direct Buy on the quartz that I couldn't resist the purchase. One thing that I know about Lowe's or Home Depot is that if you're not happy they will do whatever they can to make it right. I don't know about Costco's policy but I'm sure it's a good one as I've never had problems with any of my returns there. My sister has seen customers have carpet installed and the customer decides they don't like the color, so what does Lowe's do?? They replace it!
    Good luck with your purchase and keep in mind the satisfaction guarantee that you're buying going with the big chains.

• saramae585
    15 years ago

I was ready to order the Cambria quartz in Oxford until I saw the picture posted by old1880home. I became concerned and started searching showrooms to find it on display. I did not order it after seeing it in big pieces. My KD explained to me that Cambria tends to have bigger 'splotches' and they do that intentionally to make it look more random like granite. He said that other brands of quartz (such as Zodiac) tend to be more uniform. I did see Zodiac on display and it was more uniform so I'm sure yours will be beautiful!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i would never commit to a countertop without viewing and tagging the actual slab, even with a manufactured surface like quartz.

don't go by the displays. of course they're going to display only perfect pieces. it's not unreasonable to insist on seeing the actual product that you're going to get before you purchase it.

if a vendor insists that you cannot look at the actual slab yourself--don't buy it from them.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

Thanks Sue, now I won't be able to sleep! LOl! Mine countertop will be here on Wed. so fingers crossed.

Carol

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, they said I could view the slab. However, it is likely to delay the installation a few days. I will be sent a photo of the slab as soon as they get it and gets unloaded from the truck. I can then decide if I want to go the two hours to see it. The "project manager" was honest with me and said she has never seen a quartz counter/slab (cant remember which she said) with no spots.

Depending on the quality of the photo, I will decide if I want to hold up the process so I can go see it first.

Sue

• weissman
    15 years ago

I don't get it - for what you pay for these quartz or Corian counters you can get real, natural granite and you can pick out your actual slab. Yes there are myths about the dangers of granite and some granites require a little more maintenance than others. The advantage of quartz is supposed to be it's uniformity but from these posts it sure sounds like that's not the case.

• dalcolli
    15 years ago

weissman, another advantage of quartz is that it is lower maintenance (no sealing), which is one of the reasons we chose it. Another reason, my DH does not like the pits in granite. And we prefer the look of quartz over granite (though we like Silestone, Ceasarstone or certain Cambria tops with less "blobs").

• saskatchewan_girl
    15 years ago

I have Cambria quartz in Cranberry and love it. No issues what so ever.....and the counter store advised they haven't had ANY issues previous to my order.
    My counter looks great and same goes for the seams........barely visible at all!! Just wanted to give you some positive feedback, to possibly ease some worry. Hope it goes the same for you.
    SK girl

• mygar
    15 years ago

We are getting Silestone because it requires no maintenance. I have friends who have granite and hate it because of the maintenance and cleaning issues. I also have a friend who's housesitter left a greasy mess on the counter and apparently didn't clean it up quick enough and it left a mark on the counter. I agree that some granite is beautiful but I'm more about function and I think the Silestone is beautiful too.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are actually not a lot of granites I love. The ones I do are quite expensive, about double the lower end ones, and in short supply around here. I have held up my kitchen being completed for 2 months trying to find granite. One honest person at a higher end granite place finally told me the Costa Emeralda sample I had fallen in love at another showroom sounded exactly like what they had gotten when they first started to carry it a few years ago, but they had not seen any come out of the quarry like that in a few years. So I was searching for what didn't exist anymore. I also found Taupe granite I loved but all 3 slabs were taken, no other granite yard in the area that I checked carry it, and they had no hopes of getting more very soon. I also liked a granite called sage green, but only remnants were left in the lighter version I wanted, they didn't recommend using them because they wouldn't be able to match the seams up well and they gave me a price of more to use those remnants that to do the entire kitchen in fulls slabs of Costa Emeralda. Then there was the one I didn't get the name of because I had told the salesperson I couldn't afford the 300-400.00 sq ft granites, and she said "don't even go THERE, my you do have champagne taste, don't you". Places around here seem to been ordering granite much more slowly due to the slow down in business, and carrying more of the most commonly asked for granites, and less of the others, and it takes longer to replace them. At some point you have to say to the heck with it, I want my kitchen back! I haven't a kitchen, not even plywood counters, since last October!

Weissman, it is hard to understand sometimes why others don't like the same things you do, but sometimes they just don't. I really think many granites look nice in the photos of others kitchens but I really wouldn't want to look at the strong colors and patterns of some every time I cooked for the next 20 years! I would be more of an marble or limestone person if it were more practical, but I am not willing to live with upkeep, etching and probably with my cooking techniques, stains that those stones would get. So Quartz in a more neutral tone will be fine and practical. Better than in $4,000.00 and a 1000lbs of granite I will tire of in 5 years. As long as it isn't covered with blobs of resin!

Sue

• beware
    15 years ago

FWIW, I, like Saskatchuwan Girl, recently had Cambria installed (my color is Preston, one of the new ones, like her Cranbrook), and I am very happy with it. I love the low maintenance and it looks great. Not 100% uniform, but definitely no blotches like those I saw in other posts about Cambria pooling.

• wxgeek109
    15 years ago

Beware,

Do you have any pictures of your countertops to share? I'm getting Cambria Preston installed this week. I can't wait! I'd love to see how someone else's looks. Thanks!

• beware
    15 years ago

I will TRY to post a pic -- I currently have no backsplash as I am trying to make a decision about tile. But I will give it a go.
    Stay tuned.

• wxgeek109
    15 years ago

Thanks. I wouldn't mind hearing what you are considering for a backsplash also. My Cambria will be installed on Wednesday afternoon, and I'm installing countertops only. My next step is a tile backsplash, but I haven't decided on anything yet. I'm waiting to get a feel for how the countertops look first.

• sundial
    15 years ago

I haven't posted in a while, but just wanted to add my experience with Cambria. We used Cambria Oxford for the countertops in our kitchen remodel in the fall of 2005 and I love them. They look great and we have had no problems with them whatsoever.

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

We used Hanstone and found it to be an extremely uniform product.

• beware
    15 years ago

Here are two shots, I hope (I tried to size down, but coulnd't figure out how to do it - sorry):
    {{!gwi}}

The small orange sheen you see is not on the countertop, it's from the flash, I guess. These are Cambria Preston. I kept my old oak cabients as they were not in bad shape. I continue to dream about the next kitchen/next house....

• wxgeek109
    15 years ago

We seem to have a lot in common. My cabinets are oak also. They came with the house, are only a few years old and still in good shape. Would love to replace or reface, but it just isn't in the budget right now. But I just had to get rid of those awful beige laminate countertops I had! The Cambria looks great! Thanks for the pics!!

• beware
    15 years ago

Hi wxgeek, regarding your question on tile, I am looking at porcelin tile with a tumbled marble look, in a lighter color to contrast with the dark-ish counters and cabinets. I think I have settled on a creamy-taupey tile (Ragno Aureus IV) in 6 inch size that I will just have laid in a square pattern. I thought a lot about doing at least some of it on the diagonal, but have opted to go for a simpler look.
    Good luck!

• old1880home
    15 years ago

Sundial...I would LOVE to see your Cambria Oxford. I wonder if looks anything like mine did (I replaced it with granite). Does it have large orange blobs of resin??

• makeitsew
    15 years ago

Sue, we are totally pleased with our Cambria Cranbrook that was installed in early March! It was highly suggested that we look at the 2 slabs prior to their templating them. We found one spot of pooling that they were able to avoid in our kitchen countertop and 3 bath vanities.

Karen in PDX

• sundial
    15 years ago

old1880home here is a closeup of one of our light switches that gives a pretty good picture of our Cambria Oxford. There are blotches of color, but I don't think any of them are excessively large or unattractive. We used Cambria for our backsplash as well and have had very good luck with it. I am sorry that yours didn't work out, but I wanted other posters to know that not everyone with quartz has experienced problems.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, very nice makeitsew! I don't see any blotchiness (?sp, ? real word?) in yours at all. I am keeping my fingers crossed I get a good slab. At least I know not ALL quartz counters have them. Although even if many do, that fact that some don't will make it difficult for me accept some if I don't like the way it looks, even if they tell me it is within Zodiacs requirements.

Sue

• sundial
    15 years ago

Oops sorry I forgot to include the photo of my Cambria Oxford.

{{!gwi}}

• old1880home
    15 years ago

thanks for the pic, sundial. Your oxford looks like the sample I got and it looks like the the counter top I saw displayed. Funny how I've been "villanized" by the powers that be over my unhappiness.

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

My Zodiac is going in as I type! So far it looks great (even better than I pictured) but these guys are fast and busy so I haven't gotten to really get in there and check for pools. My color is Smokey Topaz and is more neutral brown but I can see where a pool of orange from that Oxford would be very obvious.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

old1880home, who are the "powers that be" that you feel villanized by? Hope its not here, I think people have pretty much agreed with you and sympathized. All that really matters is that it wasn't in the sample you choose and YOU didn't like it.

Sue

• wxgeek109
    15 years ago

Just to update you, I just had my Cambria Preston countertops installed and I am thrilled! I'm including a picture of the only place I have that I would consider resin pooling. The blob is about the size of a nickel. It is on the desk, and it doesn't even bother me. (But then again, it is not really an obnoxious color or anything.) The installers did a great job and I really love my new countertops!

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/wxgeek109/?action=view&current=DSC01095.jpg
    http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn73/wxgeek109/?action=view&current=DSC01096.jpg

• wxgeek109
    15 years ago

Well, that didn't work. Give me a few minutes and let me see if I can figure this out...

• old1880home
    15 years ago

Hi Sue, no the "powers that be" is not anyone from this board. Everyone here has confirmed the obvious....I was sold a bad slab. Sorry to carry on so much about it! I hate sounding like a broken record! I just don't want anyone else to get taken as I have. I'm sure you'll be fine with your Zodiac purchase through Costco.

How long before you get your top installed?

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am not sure. My material was ordered, is supposed to be in this friday and they will send me photos. If I want to see it in person, then I have to drive to vermont and approve it, either that day or the following Monday. After that they will fabricate it and schedule an install date. I am glad you alerted all of us to the problem. I would rather check the slab first than be disappointed.

Sue

• wxgeek109
    15 years ago

Here we go...

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• laurap_2007
    15 years ago

Karen, I love your kitchen! I just finished renovating mine, and like you, I chose blue walls. I have a small galley kitchen with no window (typical for NYC) so I chose Silestone in Blanco Maple, a cream color with translucent blue/gray quartz specks and I love it. BTW, it is completely uniform in color, no "pooling". My cabs are light maple and the floor is bamboo wood. Will post pics soon. I love the handles you chose, interesting twist to them.

• old1880home
    15 years ago

wkgeek, the installers can patch that spot if you want. My installers told me they'd do it on mine until I asked them to do about 20 spots, then they tried to convince me I needed to be happy...it's INTENDED to look that!

• inkycrab
    15 years ago

Mine was installed today (Zodiac) and there is a small spot near the range. It doesn't bother me though, the color is brown. Everything went smoothly and fits like a dream.

• makeitsew
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sue & Laura. The wall color is a more grey/blue, changing to a sage color, depending on the lighting. It's a Benjamin Moore color called "Tranquility" & after the remodel ordeal, some tranquility is what I needed LOL. The pulls are Amerock weathered nickel with a copper edge.

Old1880home, I'm sorry for your frustration ,but love your new island counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet pull

• old1880home
    15 years ago

Thanks, makeitsew (is your name Karen? just wondering about the "Karen in PDX" on your above post)...I do love my new countertop! I can't find one thing I dislike about it! My kitchen is once again becoming my dream kitchen. Well, let's just say within MY budget. hehe Do you have larger pictures of your kitchen? From what I see of it it looks fabulous!

*sorry to hijack your post like this, Sue :-)

• makeitsew
    15 years ago

Old1880home, thank you for the compliment. We are almost done...waiting on replacement bullnose backsplash tile (currently it's too light) & new transition piece between kitchen & diningroom. In the meantime, you can click on my photo above to see the current album.

Karen

• ezasteve
    10 years ago

My wife and I had shopped for months trying to decide between quartz or granite. We settled on Cambria Quartz in Parys blue. We had seen small samples of our color but never a complete slab. When our slabs were ready to be cut, we were notified that there were black spots throughout the slabs. We drove the 60 miles to see what they were talking about. There were dime size black splotches throughout the slabs and was told this is normal for our color. This was the first we had heard of this. This was unacceptable and decided to wait for the next shipment to arrive in a month or 2. So the new tops have not come in yet and we are not sure what will happen when they arrive. My biggest fear is that all the countertops will have flaws in them which will lead us to maybe switching to granite. We had no idea that there would be flaws in quartz countertops. The big selling point for quartz is the no sealing and the uniform consistency between slabs of the same color.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

All:

I suggest you pick a fabricator who utilizes a program called Slabsmith. Each slab is photographed before it is inventoried, so you can sit in the office and position your pieces on the slab to possibly avoid any blotches or at least make sure the blotches are in an obscure area.

You will see your tops on the screen before they are even cut. Were I the fabricator, I would get your signed approval along with your down payment before cutting anything. There can't be any surprises at installation; you've already seen and approved your tops.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I agree with you, though, I'd be very unhappy with lots of black spots like you show in your picture. I'm sure that's not the look you're going for!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The manufacture of quartz is an imperfect process, and they cover their assets with their warranty. I don't know why the fabricators don't push back at the quartz industry over this. I wouldn't buy it without seeing my slab first.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

All:

I suggest you pick a fabricator who utilizes a program called Slabsmith. Each slab is photographed before it is inventoried, so you can sit in the office and position your pieces on the slab to possibly avoid any blotches or at least make sure the blotches are in an obscure area.

You will see your tops on the screen before they are even cut. Were I the fabricator, I would get your signed approval along with your down payment before cutting anything. There can't be any surprises at installation; you've already seen and approved your tops.

• ezasteve
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The replacement slabs have not come in yet. We are hoping the countertops are free of any pooling spots. The black spots really stand out with the lighter blue used in the color we picked out. I am keeping my fingers crossed but am becoming more doubtful that the new pieces will be spot free. I will switch to granite if necessary.