Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berryberry_gw

Week 2 Progress w/ pics

berryberry
15 years ago

OK, I have been negligent in posting a photo update. Our contractor finished week 2 up this past Monday (they took last Friday off to set up their next job) and as promised, they completed most everything in 2 weeks.

The granite has been measured - so now its a matter of waiting for the granite to come in, so they can add the new sink, fixtures, and a few minor items (undercabinet lighting and putting doors back on the appliance garage (we need to paint the walls inside). Then we need to add the backsplash and we are done.

Here are some pics of the prgoress while we now sit and wait for the granite to be fabricated

Pantry and refrigerator

No more pink fan

Microwave gets hidden here behind the open door

22,000 BTU's of Bluestar cooking power

the hardware looks GREAT

The distressed painted hutch cabinets truned out great and work well with the other cabinets

The Island was the only thing we really didn't completely visualize ourself but the look turned out great

Of course, we always love our view

We went to this fixture over the island when our pendants went on back order til July. I am glad we made the switch

The dal-tile porcelain floor turned out well (although its somehwat dirty right now and needs cleaned)

Oh, and did I mention - the pink fan is gone

Comments (33)

• edlakin
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

wow. great-looking kitchen. seems like you're nearly done as well.

just out of curiosity, what are the tiles? i know you said they're dal-tile, but which ones? i think we may have just installed the exact same tiles in our kitchen.

weird coincidence. here's a pic of our floor

{{gwi:1829978}}

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I love how you framed the space with those white cabs - which by the way are gorgeous (and I don't even like white cabs).

I do hope that pink fan found a good new home.

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

edlakin - yes, pretty close to done. Granite, sink, fauctets, undercabinet lighting are the major items left

Our tile seems pretty similiar although I am not sure it is exactly the same We used Dal-tile's Terra Antica porcelain tile. You?

pbisjar - thanks. Actually they are "antique white" (at least that is what the cabinet company calls them), distressed with a lighter brown glaze - definite yellow / creamy undertones in the paint (which was one of my requirements as I really don't like pure white cabinets either. But we saw a similiar display from a different company mixing cherry and an antique white that we really liked and it became our inspiration. Actually liked the painted color so much we had a local paint store match the unglazed shade and we used it to paint the wood trim around the windows, baseboard , pantry door and door to our deck. It really helped pull everything together.

As to the pink fan - well its sitting in our basement right now waiting for me to get a chance to list it on craigslist or ebay so the owner looking for the retro miami look can give it a new home

• straw_bale_ln
    15 years ago

Until you mentioned the pink fan I didn't even think that was the same kitchen. It looks great, by the way. Very nice job. I love that Kichler light. I would have gone with that one except it's too big for the size of my island and my 8ft ceilings.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

What a pretty kitchen! I hope the pink fan finds a good home somewhere--maybe Barbie is looking for one for her Hello Kitty home in Florida. I love, love, love your cabs and flooring. Your light fixture (pendants) are perfect with your kitchen. It all looks great and what a great view you have outside your window! How pretty is that? I love your floor. Did you buy different size tile for each of those pieces or did Daltile have it already set up? Something like that would look good in my entry way.

Can't wait to see your granite and backsplash. If your Bluestar is missing---I may have taken it home with me! Congrats and an extremely beautiful and functional kitchen. BTW, that Bluestar would match my dishwasher, fridge (I think we have the same one) and micro exactly! Looks like a 36 inch? I wish I had space for a 36 inch stove....ah, one can always wish to win the Lotto--but of course, then I would have to play the lotto....

• cll2008
    15 years ago

WOW! I love your kitchens, you made great choices! Congats, I can't wait to see more.
    Crystal

• edlakin
    15 years ago

We used Dal-tile's Terra Antica porcelain tile. You?

ours are american olean san martino porcelain tiles. AO and dal are the same company, so they're more or less the same thing.

did you mix two colors to get the effect for your floor?

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Very nice, and I love all the little details (the new fan, and the pendant lights look terrific)! Great job so far!

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Straw bale - good eyes on the Kichler Light. Thanks. We were initially looking for 3 single pendants but the ones we liked were on national backorder til July - and then I stumbled across this light from Kichler and we felt it fit well with everything else - plus gave off lots of light (one thing we were looking for).

mustbnuts / edliakin - thanks. For the floor we just bought the Terra Antica Oro tile in 2 sizes - 12x12 and 6x6 and had it installed in a hopscotch pattern. It comes with the different shade variation between pieces to really give the look of natural stone. As to the Bluestar, yes its 36". looks great and the burners are unbelieveable. Have only used it once so far but I put some water on to boil to make some rice, went out to light the grill on our deck for shish-ka-bob, came back in and the pot was close to boiling over. Granted it was only 3 or 4 cups of water but that would have taken 5-10 minutes on our old stove. Bluestar's service guy is coming this weekend to do some final adjustments (under their new white glove service program) and then we hope to really test it out after we get some things in the kitchen back together (and can actually reach our other pots and pans which are buried in some boxes in the dining room right now)

• edlakin
    15 years ago

fun! i'm looking forward to unpacking into the new kitchen. we have stuff in boxes that we never unpacked when we moved, since we didn't have room in the old kitchen to store it all.

• Jan_S
    15 years ago

Love the mix of white and wood cabinets, it really works! Just lovely.

Is it customary to install the "stacked" cabinets (the ones that seem to rest on the counter) before the countertop? It must require some precision measuring!

Congrats on your progress and the successful integration of painted and unpainted cabinets, wow!

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jan - thanks. yes, I wondered as well about the stacked cabinets down to the counter going in before the granite - but our contractor assured us his guys do this often and they measure well. I guess we will see when the granite arrives, but the installers have been excellent so far so I am hopeful they measured precisely

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Looking Good!

Bet you're chomping on the bit for that granite!

I had the same question as Jan. They may be able to squeeze it in- but bet the installers are going to be cursing as they try and maneuver a heavy piece of granite in there! :>)

Can hardly wait to see it finished!

• huango
    15 years ago

Beautiful, in all senses.
    I love how the cream cabinets flanks and frames the cherry cabinets so perfectly.
    I can't wait until I get my 36" Bluestar also.

Thought/question: the cabinet above the fridge: could that be brought out to align w/ the wall? It looks a bit too recessed like that.

• tanders
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful kitchen. I can't wait to see the finished pics! I agree with huango though...have you considered bringing the cabinet over the fridge out to the edge of the wall? It seems like having it set so far back will make it harder to access, not to mention you'll get a much cleaner look on that wall if everything is flush.

Again, what a great space!!

• jpitura
    15 years ago

I would also love to know the colour you chose for the kitchen walls. My cabinets are also cherry. Am thinking of using Subtle, an affinity colour with Aura paint. Wonder if it is anything like yours?
    Liz

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Raehelen - yes, very anxious to get the granite done and in

huango / tanders - thanks. We have talked back and forth about having that cabinet flush vs recessed. We just haven't been sure what would be best. I can have them easily move it when they are back to finish up. Gonna have to give it more thought

jpitura - We used Aura AF-90 (Harmony) paint on the walls. Very pleased with the Aura paint and color

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

berryberry, I love your kitchen and I love the Aura AF-90 paint color. I am writing it down for future use.

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks lynn. We really liked using the Aura paint. Its a bit more expensive but worth it. Its hard to describe the difference in look between the Aura and our other rooms - the Aura just looks deeper / richer. And yes, for us the Harmony AF-90 color really worked well.

Good luck

• edlakin
    15 years ago

any progress, berry?

we are stalled a bit right now. waiting for a few stray cabinet pieces to arrive. counters go in tuesday.

hope you're making progress!

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

edlakin - We are just waiting for our granite to be fabricated - so nothing happening til that gets done and installed. So I know the stalled feeling you have

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Berryberry, I didn't notice this thread until just now. I love it! Are the two separate sets of hardware the same finish or are they completely different? I love the bin pulls-on-beadboard look but am a bit stuck on hardware for my maple cabinets, and looking at yours helps me visualize.

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Berry berry - I posted this in my 'crown molding' thread, but wasn't sure if you'd come back to it. Thanks for responding to my question. Your cabs are beautiful all around. I love the look - never would have thought of going with two 'different' moldings. I really like the detail of the rope molding. There goes the budget again!
    Just curious - it looks like you have 9 foot ceilings. Did you every consider going with 42" and 48" cabinets, taking the 48 to the ceiling? If you did, wondering what kept you from doing that. I hope my cabs won't look too mammoth by taking them to the ceiling. I'm hesitant, but feel I need the storage.

Also, do you have a picture of your sink base you can share with me? It looks like you may be bumping it out in the same fashion as what I'm trying to accomplish. Do you have feet or an arch under the cab? How did you finish off the bottom? That's one of the details I'm trying to make a decision on, and I love everything you've done - may just do what you did if you don't mind.

Thanks so much for sharing - your pics are going in my inspiration folder!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

it's fun to see how far things are getting along! i love the room....but must admit i'm struck dumb by the floors....in a dood way. i just love them! i hesitate to ask...because the house i'd like to use them in is on a tight budget....but are they ungodly expensive?? i'd love to use that pattern you've put together!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Looks great! But, it's been almost 2 weeks...has your granite gone in yet? How about some updated pics!!! :-)

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all.

bluekit - Yes, two different hardware finishes - ORB on the painted cabinets. Weathered nickle on the cherry cabinets

suzatwork - thanks. Yes we have 9 foot ceilings but decided against 42 and 48" taking the 48" to the ceiling. We just felt that was too high for the look we wanted and the top shelves would be very hard to use without a step stool or small ladder. As it is, we moved from 30" high in our old kitchen to 36 and 42 in the new one and ended up with tons more storage. And the top shelves in the 36 even somewhat high.

When I get a chance I will try and post more pics of the sink base. Yes, it is bumped out. No feet or arch at the bottowm (we wanted to keep the toekick area of the sink clear so we wouldn't hit our feet while working at the sink) but we do have decorative fluted panels where it is bumped out

igloochic - thanks. the tile is not really expensive. it is Daltile Terra Antica Oro - cost between $3.50 and $4.00 a sq ft for the tile itself. labor to install was more than the material

Buehl - thanks. Alas no granite til 5/28 so no new pics to show. Our granite company is a few hours away in the center of the state and they have a great reputation but serve a wide area so they are quite busy

• mike_r_2000
    15 years ago

Kitchen's looking great! I miss the pink fan a bit though :P However the new fan is awesome, I've never seen one with big leaf style blades like that - though I somehow doubt that its very rare - I'll have to look into getting one of my own.

The fan was the first thing I noticed in the first pic :D

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike - thanks. We really like the new fan. Besides the leaf blades, the metal canopy is very substantial / very nice. But no, not rare (nor expensive) at all. Picked it up at Lowes for under $200.

I still do have the old pink fan in case you are interested :) Its sitting in the basement til I find the time to post it for sale on craigslist

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

suzatwork - OK, here are some pics of the sink base (temporary sink sitting on it now while we wait for granite)

You will see we did not take the fluted panel down to the ground. However, next to our range, we did use fluted posts like this:

And under the two painted cabinets, we did use tulip feet (We will be having them move them out closer to the edge)

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Thanks berryberry for the pictures. I love your kitchen, and have been inspired to add rope molding to my upper staggered cabs. And, I'm more comfortable about not adding feet under my bumped out sink base after seeing your pictures. We have the fluted panels like yours. I didn't think about the tripping factor.

And, I am leaning towards getting the same french country pulls. Are they Top Knob? What finish did you get? Do you have any of the 8" pulls on larger drawers (maybe you don't have any - can't see them in the pictures)?

I love what you've done. Hope you don't mind that it's at the top of my inspiration folder! Consider that a great compliment!! Thanks!

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

suzatwork - thanks for the compliment. Our granite, sink, faucet are all now in but I am waiting til I do the backsplash in a few weeks (I am DIY'ing it) til posting final photos.

Glad my photos helped. As to the pulls, we purchased the french country pulls from yourhomesupply.com Our finish on those pulls is Weathered Nickel. We are very impressed with the quality of these pulls at a dirt cheap price. Alas, we did not get any 8" pulls (not sure if they have them or not). One reason is our largest drawers are on the 2 painted cabinets - and on those, we went with Liberty ORB cup pulls we purchased also at a dirt cheap price in bulk from Cripes Distributing and we wanted 2 cup pulls per drawer.

hope this helps

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

berryberry - your kitchen is looking fantastic! And I still love those tiles on your floor!

I'm sure you are very sad to see that pink fan gone from your kitchen. ;-D

And I can tell you're from Pittsburgh -- our tile floors need cleaned too. :-D

Patti

• berryberry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bellsrus - thanks !!! Yes, not sure what I will do without the pink fan :)