Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spincrazy25_gw

Sad to say- still no decision

spincrazy25
14 years ago

Can you believe it- still no decision?! Took some time to explore local cabinet makers. Found one, but he was more expensive than the original. Feel too tired to keep looking...

I was down to option 5 (still not 100% sure on the components, so feel free to critique), but something just didn't feel right. So, after learning the labor would be the same to move the infamous pocket door, I jumped back to my dream of having an island. However I'm concerned it still won't work.

Please vote for the one that seems the most functional.

Thanks SO MUCH!

Option 5:

Island Option:

Are the pantry areas just too far to work?

Comments (26)

• scootermom
    14 years ago

I bet many folks here will say that yes, your pantries are too far, especially since it looks like there is a lane of traffic running through your kitchen (where does that door go?).

I have a similar setup (table and pantry on one side of kitchen, and you have to cross a lane of "traffic" to get to the prep/cooking/cleanup area) with the added obstacle of a small peninsula. It used to be a real pain going around the peninsula to the pantries 20 times a day, and bumping into someone on many of those trips.

Then I got smart and moved my most frequently used items into a cabinet beneath my prep counter...oils, croutons, vinegars, cereal, bread/rolls/crackers, peanut butter (I already had sugar, flour, spices, and the fridge in the prep area). Suddenly, life improved a lot! I still make a few trips a day to the pantry, but not as many...not even for every meal!

So if you can use some of those drawers for that kind of stuff -- that you use many times a day and/or things that get used during "morning rush" when you're trying to cook breakfast, pack lunches, and get people OUT -- then it might be fine for you.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I agree with Scootermom in that the pantries don't have to be close if you only need to visit them occasionally, but I don't see much storage in your kitchen area in the island plan. I also worry a little about adequate prep area. The island is 'out of the loop' as far as being good workspace for the cook. I suppose as long as you could keep the counter from the sink to the stove dedicated just to the cook, it could work...and salads, sandwiches, and other secondary projects (baking) and prep could take place on the island. But if you dream of chopping veggies to cook at the island, gazing in on your family and visiting as you work, I think you'll find that the best place to work for cooking is between the sink and stove, and you'll end up in the corner. That isn't big to me, but to some it would be a deal-breaker.

I do love how the traffic in the island plan can now go around the kitchen instead of through.

Map out where things will go and check each one for storage and counter space for things like coffee maker, toaster, or whatever you keep out and handy. Then, I think that if you can love the island plan so much more than the other, I think you might be able to deal with the compromises in working around the table to get to the pantries.

At first I much preferred the plan 5, thinking it was a 'no brainer' since it offered so much more storage within the kitchen. But it has no pantry space and has the big downside of the traffic coming through the middle. I could happily support you in the island plan. :-) I like the builtin bench for the table. It really tidies up that end and will make the pantries easier to get to.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I don't know if you have a window above the sink which is maybe why it's in the same place in both layouts but have you considered putting the sink and DW in the island? It looks as if you have room for 30" deep base cabs and with an 18" deep overhang (maybe even 15") splashing issue that others mention would be diminished. Also... if you get a 9" or 10" deep sink, it shouldn't be an issue at all. THen you could move your stove to the long side (kind of where the sink is) and have tons of prep/pantry space more conveniently spaced. Sorry if this has already been addressed and I missed it.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, we decided not to move the water because of the expense. Plus, when the sink was in the island, there was not enough space on either side of the sink.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

I'm learning good planning is the key to a functional kitchen. Take your time.
    The one thing I like about my horrid kitchen now is the placement of the cooktop and sink in relation to each other. It's what your island plan shows. It solves the long trip across the kitchen with the pasta...and gives great prep space between the two. Make sure to plan for under cab lighting in that corner. Those coming from the kitchen will put dishes in the sink or on the counter between the fridge and sink so that good too. It there room for a shallow storage area next to the pocket door on the small wall? Even between the studs? We did that at our last house and loved it. I kept oils, spices and cooking related things there. I just planned ahead for when we used the dining room b/c then the traffic flow was an issue.

• conn123
    14 years ago

i vote for the island plan. seems more airy and roomy, while still giving you plenty of storage. and allows much better traffic flow than peninsula layout whether you come to/from pocket door or to/from family room. i also like that the island layout opens up your kitchen more to the family room. agree w/ posts above about pantry. if you keep frquently used items close at hand, then less frequently used items will have a nice home in the pantry, as could things like placemats and tablecloths (or anything else that you use more when you sit down to dinner than when cooking...for us it would be things like ketchup or pancake syrup) which would be very handy right next to the table. so, long story short, i love the island layout...

• wallycat
    14 years ago

I hate making decisions. I'm at the same phase you are and think we've finally narrowed it down, but I am still second guessing myself.
    I love the thought of a pantry, which the first diagram does not show. We have an open plan in our current home and HATE IT. We swore never again. I can't run water and hear the TV and this is not a good situation...unless you have your TV in a different room altogether.
    If location/distance is an issue for pantry, can you make one, bigger pantry and push the bench to one corner or the other.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For all the comments regarding no real pantry in option 5, I'd thought I'd post the original 5 which has a pantry. It loses some upper and lower storage though, but not sure if it matters if it is more efficient....

Wallycat- I agree making decisions IS the worst, especially when it involves alot of money and can't be easily changed! We had an open plan in our last house, and I agree, it was loud. But we just crank the TV louder. ;)
    Especially now with a 2 year old, I hate the closed off kitchen.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

You probably said this in a previous post...But how do people usually get to the family room? Through the kitchen or another route? Trying to get an idea of how much traffic comes through the pocket door.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Wow, you do have quite a decision to make, and I can see where you are confused. Everyone loves an island! But, I'm wondering - will there be enough room behind the chairs when someone is sitting there to pass behind? It looks like a lot more storage and counterspace in the non island plan.

I like a closed kitchen. That's partly because I have noisy teens, and a husband who watches total MAN-TV, (war, fighting, anything testosterone laced and loud).

I was living with Mom till the first born was 3, and though she had an open floor plan, she wisely insisted on just getting him used to a playpen in the kitchen for cooking times. (I know, a BIG NO NO for most people). By the time he was 2, I thought he was too old, and stopped that. But, I found that unless EVERYTHING is facing the LR, you would still be turning your back for too long to leave a 2 year old unattended in the next room. He was just too quick. So, I had to occupy him in the kitchen while I was cooking, regardless of having an open floor plan.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pocket door is to the Formal DR- which only gets used 2-3 times a year. Swing door by the table/fridge goes to the garage/laundry room/back door, so that is the main traffic pattern to an from the FR.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Not to confuse the issue even more ;-) but if you only use the formal dining room 2-3 times a year, is there any benefit to opening up into that room and changing your layout to have just one eating area and a bigger kitchen (with island seating to give you a second eating area)? Is it possible to move the door to the garage/laundryroom/back door?

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We did think of that...but in the end we really can't afford a kitchen that big. :)
    Can't move the door to the garage. It is a basically a hallway with no wiggle room.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

That traffic pattern leads me back toward liking the peninsula plan, since it adds more busyness and hazard between the pantries and the cooking area, and there is really no benefit to moving the pocket door, in terms of the kitchen use. I know that's not what you'd like to hear...

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you think the peninsula plan is better as a U or the L?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I'd say the U, so that you have an additional work area...When you have older helpers, one can bake, while someone else cooks. :-)

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    14 years ago

I like the island plan.

The dining table w/ settee and pantry cabinets feels much more part of the kitchen, which I prefer. Remember you can put drawers or baskets under the settee for more storage.

Since the dining table and chairs is more part of the kitchen, do you really need to sit all of those people at the island? Could you eliminate the stools and add cabinets facing the living room to gain even more storage?

• akrogirl
    14 years ago

My biggest issue with the island plan is that the fridge appears to be directly behind the island. While that is convenient for the cook, I can see it becoming a nuisance very quickly if other people need to access it while the cook is working there.

Is there any possibility of switching the range and fridge locations? That also gives you the option to make the hood and backsplash a nice focal point from the living room.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

akro- I see what you mean about the fridge, but I'm hoping to push the fridge back into the wall a bit so it's not so beastly. If it is the range postion I couldn't do that because of the pocket door.

rob- no I guess I don't NEED the three seats. I showed an option earlier with only the two on the front, and people mentioned turning the corner. I sketched it with the three and thought it looked pretty cool.

If I have a small kitchen table (seating for 4) how many barstools would I really want? Right now just my son sits at the counter on a regular basis.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    14 years ago

I don't know how old your son is, but I suspect my boys would be more into sitting/laying on the settee...
    Especially if I allowed them to have one of the drawers/baskets under it for their own stuff.

I too have mixed emotions about this, as our remodel plans have our dining room table directly adjacent to the island.

In my case, it seems crazy to put 4 barstools back to back with a dining room table that seats 8. But I keep trying to imagine how guests would hang-out in the new space, and bar stools do sort of force them to congregate in that spot... although where the bottle of wine and the cheese plate are set probably has an equally powerful clustering effect. ;-)

I'd love to hear what others think about that. Has anyone put in island barstools only to have your guests not use them?

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think of the barstools more of a hangout spot for people keeping me company while I'm in the kitchen, and the table for actual eating as a group. Hope to hear more opinions on this.

PS- my son is 2 and I KNOW he'd be crazy for the bench seat!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I think a table being lower and a little bit removed from the action will make people want to use the bar seating...It's like standing and hanging out with you in the same room, but while seated...and, most importantly, without being underfoot!

In my kitchen I put a table (round with 4 chairs) at the end of the room, and overhang for a couple stools at the island (meant mostly for workers during longer projects). I think that there are sitters and perchers...My husband would be a table person (sitter), wanting to have a comfortable chair and room to spread out with his school paperwork or a magazine, while my good friend wants to be close to the action and 'perched' on the edge of a stool (for eye-level, face contact) while we work and talk.

As for the kids, while they're eating a meal, working on a puzzle or something else together, they're happy at the table, but if it's a quick snack and/or conversation time with Mom that they want, a stool at the counter is way better.

That's how it works for our house, anyway.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Our island doesn't have countertops yet (just the plywood tops of the cabinets) but my little kids so far love to sit at the counter for breakfast and snacks. I wanted a spot for friends to be able to "perch" and visit, too, which our current kitchen was lacking.
    Our dining room table is just a few feet away, and that is where we all sit for meals.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Just wanted to add that I like the U "option 5" version better. One of the things that I like about the three stools in that version is that one is at a right angle-if you are sitting at the counter with another person, it would be easier to visit or play a game, etc. that way than being side by side.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen too. It is difficult to make many of the choices, especially when the changes are with the footprint. My home is mostly open between many of the first floor rooms. I love the feel of it. If I could open my kitchen too I would and I would LOVE an island. I love that an island is where people can gather to stand or sit. It is useful for prep. It can be a different wood from the cabinets and this is a look I love too. It is inviting to be open for entertainment and for family. The only part I do not like about an open floor plan is the sound of the tv. Now the area feels like one big room with either you wanting to hear what is on the tv or you going some other location in the house. If that is not an issue for you or if cost is not so much more for the island option, go for the island.....good luck deciding.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In regards to flooring in the island plan, I know it would be best to use all the same material in the big room. DH has a problem with that because of course I want wood. Would it look like crap to have part tile, part wood?