Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone want to play "Name that Stone"

Posted by badgergal (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 0:14

I love the countertops in my son's kitchen. I assume the stone is granite but I don't know that for a fact. The kitchen was a DYI by the previous owner of the house.
I have gone granite shopping at several stone yards for my own kitchen and my neighbor's kitchen and did not see any slabs that look like his.
I got to thinking that one of you knowledgeable GWers out there might be able to name that stone.
Sorry there is no prize for the correct answer.
Here is an overview
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And a couple of close up shots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone want to play "Name that Stone"

I don't know the name, but I will look for it today when I go stone shopping yet again.

o

OK, I'll play. It looks a bit like delicatus...

o

Looks like granite from the geological point of view. It's got the blend of feldspars (white), a bit of quartz (grey) and some biotite (black). The orange is iron oxide that has filled in some of the fractures in the rock.

I have no idea what the name is, but at least I can tell you the ingredients. :)

o

Thanks Karin for letting me know that it is indeed granite. I have learned enough on this forum to know that not all stones labled granite are true granite. Thanks for telling me about the ingredients. I usually just use terms like splotches, speckles or streaks.

EAM44 thanks for the suggestion that the granite might be Delicatus. I know that quite a few GWers have used Delicatus. I never though that might be my sons granite because the Delicatus that I saw on here seemed to be white, grey and a little black. I don't recall ever seening any with that rusty/orange (iron oxide) in it. Based on your suggestion though I did a google image search of Delicatus and found that it is most likely Delicatus Gold. Below is an image I found of Delicatus Gold. Looks like a match to me. So I think you are the Name that Stone winner.

o

YAY!!!!!! I rock (pun intended)!

o

Great detective work!

o

Splotches, Speckles and Streaks...

Good name for my new stone yard business.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here