Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Okay...this is pink and terrible, but what do you think?

lavender_lass
9 years ago

I have a cooktop that is right next to my oven/microwave, in my current kitchen. I would like to paint a few of the cabinets to give it more of a vintage feel. Long story...

Anyway, all I could find was a pink example (yikes! and I like pink) and this is not a very good 'paint' job...but what do you think? Good, bad, ugly....awful! LOL

Anyway, it would be WHITE appliances and cabinets connecting them together. Thanks in advance :) {{!gwi}}From Pink kitchen

And what I'm trying to 'suggest'.... From Kitchen tables and vintage kitchens

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Sat, May 24, 14 at 0:16

Comments (12)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

pic??

• Fori
    9 years ago

LOve love love that, pink and all.

Oh I see. You "painted" some cabs to pull it together? Hmmmm I wonder if that would work. I can't tell. I can't get over the pepto pink and birch!

I think you need some paper and masking tape and mock it up for real in your kitchen. (Is that even a thing? Mocking it up for real?)

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I love the pink kitchen. At first I thought it was yours. Knowing you, I am presuming you have been to Retrorenovation. They now have a user request for ideas to work around the wonderful existing kitchens and baths. And the responses are great. The second stove is a beauty, but could be very expensive to find. One never knows though in coming across one. If you do, I think it would fit taking what is there out.

My daughter had a pink stove in an old Victorian she rented, it was really old and had more options than I've ever seen in a stove. And everything worked. I could never figure out how they ever got it in the farm kitchen without a door existing for it's size. The pink was meant to be in there.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I guess I don't understand what's what, but I sure do love those retro appliances!

I've started to think that since I very seldom cook, what would be the harm in a vintage, totally inefficient stove?

Love it.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I don't know what I'm seeing either. But I can't abide pink.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I think Lavender wants to redo the area of her kitchen which currently has built in ovens and a stove next to it. Either paint the existing or find a unique stove to fit in the spot. If the stove shown, she would need to remove the existing cupboards and stove to do so. A vent would be needed allso. There are a lot of retro stoves still working as hard as when they were new. Just takes some time to find one.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I think the idea is to use paint to tie the wall ovens and adjacent cabinet with cooktop together to give the impression of the vintage range.

The idea is clever, but I don't think the pink example is very successful even setting aside the pink color. It doesn't look like an old style range to my eye, instead it looks like someone got tired of painting the cabinets and quit without finishing the job. Maybe there's a way to make it work better, or maybe I'm just all wet.

• User
    9 years ago

Not fooling anyone's eye. The ''impresson'' of a stove just looks disjointed and silly.

• homebuilder32
    9 years ago

Interesting...

This post was edited by HomeBuilder32 on Sat, May 24, 14 at 13:23

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I am trying to make my appliances look a little more interesting (thanks Homebuilder) and 'suggest' vintage, with paint.

Holly- The fact that you don't like it, makes me want to try it even more :)

No offense....but I want to try something most of the professionals would probably frown upon, just to see if it will work. If not, I can always repaint. LOL

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Holly- The fact that you don't like it, makes me want to try it even more"

Now that's funny!!

• User
    9 years ago

LL, when I saw your photo (photoshop?) I thought of this kitchen redo from Apartment Therapy a while back. They kept the vintage double oven and hood in seafoam green but redid the cabinets via Ikea. The end result looks terrific.

I think the paint thing is trickier to pull off though. If I were going to paint one or two cabinets, I'd be tempted to do the whole kitchen, for consistency's sake. Then again I live in a land of tiny kitchens, so I'm probably underestimating what that would entail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage green ovens & hood from AT