Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marykh_gw

Stainless steel drawer boxes?

marykh
9 years ago

Just got a text from our kitchen designer that our cabinet company (dura supreme) is offering stainless steel drawer boxes for our line at no up charge. What do you all know about the benefits (or challenges) of the stainless steel over wood? Any personal experience you have with them would be appreciated! I need to place the order by Saturday.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Take the stainless. Wood drawer boxes don't have coved sides where crud can't hide.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Wood is an insulator. Steel isn't a great conductor, unless compared to wood, meaning the temperature inside your drawers will be a little less stable. Probably not enough to notice.

You can sterilize stainless. You can kasher it if there aren't tight cracks.

When you drop something in the drawer you might get a more interesting sound, more sound altogether.

If your house is very humid, or your loved ones put things away wet, you could get rust. It's hard to rust stainless, but not impossible.

Stainless shows scratches more, but does it matter on the inside of a drawer?

No splinters with metal, but you shouldn't have them with good plywood either, and if you're abusing the drawers and really do produce a splinter, it's more serious if it's metal.

Frankly, I was thinking you were going to have stainless fronts, too, which would be cool. :) Ask the cabinetmaker why they're offering them. Maybe it's just a special order's leftovers or something like that, or wood is way up, or there's a promo from the vendor. Since the cabinetmaker probably doesn't have the shop to make them, however, I do wonder why... But maybe he doesn't make the drawer boxes either? Are you getting custom sizes? And, if so, are they fabricating the stainless drawers to fit?

• angela12345
    9 years ago

If you want to customize your interior with Lee Valley drawer dividers, you would have to make an inner box of wood, as you wouldn't be able to insert then into metal. Although, many folks do that anyway even with wood drawer boxes because they don't want to mess up their drawer boxes.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

One advantage I can think of is that it will be lighter than wood and you will have more lbs for storage before hitting the weight limits of the glides. My parents kitchen in tropical India has stainless steel drawers with slats in them and they haven't had an issue with rusting. I can imagine it won't look pretty with water stains if you are in the habit of putting away wet dishes on a sheet of stainless. Find out if they will have holes or slits to promote circulation in that case.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

I am assuming they are offering a SS drawer system like the Blum Intivo..

This is what I know about the drawer systems:

Bottoms of the drawers will be 5/8" thick, instead of 1/4" or 3/8" in a wood drawer

If is is Blum it has a lifetime warranty, well the sides and slides of the drawer have a lifetime warranty...

Using the drawer system you are limited in heights, with Blum you will have 2 3/4" depth from the top of the SS side to the top of the drawer bottom. For a deep drawer they offer a galley rod system or something called a "boxside"....using a boxside you will have a inside depth of 7 13/16, the boxside is a piece of stainless that snaps on top of the SS side to give you the depth. Be aware that if they are offering galley rods there will be a "gap" between the top of the side and the galley rod of approx 2"

The blum cutlery and utility organizers are great, very easy to adjust and add pieces as needed..and they are DW safe!

The organizers for the deep drawers are also very nice, using the boxside there are many dividing options, using galley rods the only option is additional rods to divide the drawer

One thing to note, if the KD shows you the blum catalog every drawer interior is perfectly organized and filled with the divider system....that is not always the case with custom cabinets, the pictures and the system is based on euro sized boxes

I love the SS drawers, but only when they have the boxsides in the deep drawer....that is what I would ask them about if it were me

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like they're Blum. Here's what I found from a press release.

Howard Lake, MN: Dura Supreme Cabinetry is excited to introduce NEW Stainless Steel Drawers and Roll-Out Shelves for their Alectra Cabinetry (Frameless/Full-Access product line). For a limited time, this new metal drawer system is available exclusively from Dura Supreme as they partnered with Blum to be the first American manufacturer to bring it to market.

Dura SupremeâÂÂs Stainless Steel Drawers and Roll-Out Shelves are an attractive option for any kitchen design. Sleek, double-wall, stainless steel sides are only ýâ thick and work with many of Dura SupremeâÂÂs wood drawer accessories, as well as the coordinating gray metal accessories designed specifically for Stainless Steel drawers. Concealed, undermount glides are integrated into the sides and are self-closing with a soft-close feature.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

These are actually melamine coated particle board drawers with two stainless side pieces. I wouldn't exactly call them "stainless steel drawers" but apparently the marketers are.

Their promotional video states, "This new drawer box is constructed out of stainless steel sides with coordinated metallic melamine floor and back."

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

great catch, beautybutdebtfree. thank you