Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juno2008

Bay Area and vintage kitchen help

juno2008
11 years ago

Someone on the old house forum suggested I come over here. Our 950 sf bungalow was built sometime between 1906 and 1909. It's gone through 100 years of bad renovations, and we're trying to undo it all. We've almost finished the rest of the house, and we're ready to start on the kitchen later this year. Here's what we're starting with (we sourced the bin table and oven on Craigslist):

http://i40.tinypic.com/2aetl40.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2v2i7oi.jpg

The cabinets are warped plywood. It seemed like the other board agreed we do not need an architect for a kitchen layout. I guess at this point I'm looking for general layout advice for a kitchen that would be period appropriate while still being practical. I'm not a gadget person and I do like open space on the walls (not wall to wall cabinets), but I do know I need to be practical in case we are forced to relocate someday and sell the house to someone else. Also, do any of you have any experience with any SF bay area cabinet makers? I'm looking for no toe kicks, inset drawers/doors, and perhaps a CA cooler cabinet vented to the basement.

Another question: I'm coveting the converted wooden iceboxs that I've seen online. Has anyone ever had one of those quoted? I'm afraid it's a $5,000 job, which will never fly with the hubby, haha. Is the best alternative to a vintage fridge a fully integrated fridge, and is that any better price-wise?

Any comments, general ideas, layout suggestions?

Comments (9)

• tadhg555
    11 years ago

Are you looking for a cabinet maker to do a custom job? If you are willing to go with semi-custom made-to-order, you should look into EcoHome in Berkeley. They do kitchen design and sell eco-friendly products, and they carry the Executive line of cabinets that has a number of period appropriate styles.

Ohmega Salvage and their sister store Omega Too has a lot of period stuff, and could probably give advice on the icebox.

Here is a link that might be useful: EcoHome

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I love the bin tale. Nice find! If you are in east bay, look up M&M cabinets in union city.

• Maine_Mare
    11 years ago

Have you looked for a restoration contractor? They might be the best of both worlds...able to advise you on a kitchen that would fit the age of your home while still allowing for a dishwasher, provide a cabinet maker for appropriate cabinets, and know a good deal of what will happen when you open up the walls.

I'm in love with your range!

• emagineer
    11 years ago

What a fun remodel. Your comment about the converted "ice-box" sent me on a search. These ideas always intrigue me.

Here is a link of a man who figured out how to do the opposite. Convert a modern RF to old. Move down on his page, he has the instructions and resources available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Convert a modern RF to old icebox.

• juno2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my, emagineer, that link is completely awesome and right up the husband's alley. I have seen it going both ways online, but never a DIY option. Wow! Even if we screwed it up, we're only out a couple hundred for a cheap fridge and some money for materials. I even know exactly where to source the hardware, yipee.

Ohmega is my BFF :) Well, I might like Urban Ore a little better for hardware. Ohmega's definitely better for salvaging doors. But I think I want new (old looking) cabinets. I might source the hardware there if I can find enough that coordinates.

I assumed we'd have to have custom work done, but I'll check out the suggested shops. Thanks for the direction. Out GC does great work, but he mostly shakes his head in wonderment that I insist on things like used antique bath fixtures, single-paned wood windows and stained trims; he doesn't get it. I've never heard of a restoration contractor; I thought you just always had to beat them over the head to get anything period appropriate :) Maybe I'll Google around on that for a bit, but I'm hesitant to give up a GC who does good work if I can work out the historical stuff myself and argue the GC into compliance.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Have you ever worked in an area with no-toekick cabs? I find it very awkward, but maybe that's just me, LOL. I'm also wondering about inset cabs - much less storage space than a frameless full overlay set of cabs.

Beadboard or shaker-style cabs in white would look very nice in the typical small BArea cottage, and many DWs accept panels (Euro mfgs are better for not sticking out after including the panel depth, BTW).

• freckles
    11 years ago

I'm also interested in cabs with no toe kicks. I've asked people, including Celineike here, whether there are any issues with stubbed toes, back problems or scuffing - no issues from all whom I've asked. The only rec is to either do a toe kick for the sink, or bring the sink out (or lower sink cabinet in) to accommodate standing close to the sink.

Juno2008 - what part of the bay area are you in (North, South, East, Pen) - that may help with recs on cabinet makers.

• juno2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jkom51, you sound like my GC, haha, trying to talk me out of my period details. Not having it!

Besides, I hate cleaning under toe kicks a lot worse that I hate working without them. I also think it looks so much cleaner without. I would like to use a wall-hung sink with exposed plumbing underneath, opening that up for the feet, but I'm not sure I can sacrifice quite that much cabinet space. Setting it in a bit sounds promising (and gives it less space for gross things to spill/get lost in the back).

I'm in the East Bay; the south bay is a really long haul from here, but the city, North Bay and all of the East bay are pretty easily do-able.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Check out the FAQ for asking about layout help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout FAQ