Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compostrules

Keep Wedgewood stove?

compostrules
14 years ago

I'm really conflicted as to whether or not we should keep this vintage beauty in our kitchen remodel. It's 40" wide with 4 burners and a griddle in the middle (which serves as additional counter space. It has 2 ovens and 2 broilers- I only need to use both at once around the holidays. It's never broken down or given us any problems. It even has a built in clock and salt and pepper shakers. I'm only thinking of going with something newer b/c the contractor said they don't make 40" stoves anymore and so when it does break in the future, we're left with a 4" gap in our counters if we then buy a 36" stove. If I do keep it, I'm going to refurbish it for $1500. Is it worth it? I keep hearing about issues with some of the high-end ranges.

Comments (18)

• weissman
    14 years ago

Your contractor is wrong - they do make 40" ranges - Sears has 4 models listed on their website - two by Kenmore and two by Fridgidaire. I'd refurbish your Wedgewood range - vintage ranges are neat. Can you post a picture?

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I left a similar range in my old house when I moved...I was sad to leave it...it worked so well...the clock was broken but it was a awesome range...loved the double ovens and broiler (my second lower section was not a broiler, it was a lid drawer). I was so proud of that chrome top...LOL.

They are terribly heavy so knowing someone to refurbish and keep it maintained is important since you can't easily move them. Be sure you get it checked for any leaks, your local gas company can do that for you. I had mine checked before I sold the house so I could pass inspection. I wonder if the new owners still have it or they scrapped it.

You are lucky that you have the salt and pepper shakers. Do you use the griddle?

Here is a link that might be useful: parts

• sumnerfan
    14 years ago

I'd keep it, but I'm very nostagic. It sounds like a stove I would like to have.

• lisadlu
    14 years ago

I vote KEEP IT! I have a 1950's O'Keefe and Merritt that I put into storage in my Mom's garage 15 years ago when we moved across country. I didn't ship it with my stuff since we went into an apartment initially. I grew up with the stove in my Dad's house and one day plan to put it in my last home. They are cool! Keep the past alive.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Do you know how much it costs to buy one now!!! I got over needing one as soon as I priced them! Still want one but don't need one. If I ever win the lottery I will need one.

• jem199
    14 years ago

Keep it! We are having a 1930's fridge retored for use in our wine cellar. DH makes wine and can fit 2 carboys in it. The initial restore plan included re-insulating it. It wasn't needed in ours! In fact, if we unplug it and don't open it for a week, it's still cold inside. Some things were just so well made in the past that replacements can't compare.

If you love it, keep it. You can always change your mind and make a profit on it later.

• flwrs_n_co
    14 years ago

Compostrules, if Circuspeanut's beautiful reno doesn't convince you to keep your stove--if you still have doubts--sell it and move on. Personally, I would definitely keep it. I had one of those stoves 30 years ago in a house we rented and I loved it. I've compared every stove I've cooked on since to that stove and they've all come up wanting. I just don't have the $$$ to buy a refurbished one. Like PinchMe, if I ever win the lottery, that would be tops on my list to splurge on. You're so lucky to have one!

• sweetgumacres
    14 years ago

I'm truly in love with our rental Wedgewood, though it's only ours for four months. Your configuration sounds exactly like ours. That in-between temperature of the always on pilot just provides a level of heat that's not "normal" in kitchens these days. I love drying dish towels, defrosting, and proofing bread on the griddle. I love drying heels of bread for crumbs and incubating yogurt in the off oven. I seriously considered one for our remodel but have talked myself out of it for the second time since we have so many warm months of weather where we live. Sigh. Enjoy!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I would keep it and consider a way to plan for a new stove if that becomes necessary. Four inches can give you a cubby for a towel bar, cutting boards, a pizza peel -- whatever, you just need to figure out how to deal with the countertop. Or figure you could go to a 48" and plan for 8" to be lost. Or put the range on the end of a run and consider a cart or something with a different finish or feel to go onthe other side of it and give you flexibility. A bit of unfitted would be appropriate with that range.

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Just a few months ago we finally ditched (actually it is carefully wrapped up in a blanket in the garage) our 1938 Chambers range. Trading it out for a new pro-style range was a very hard decision for us. Our vintage range was so adorable, the open burners were amazingly powerful, and it added so much character to our 1928 kitchen. So I know what a big decision this must be for you. Our decision was also motivated by an expected renovation in the near future. Our vintage range was 36" and our new range is 30", giving us a bit more counter and cupboard space.

If you are totally happy cooking on your Wedgewood and love the look, I'd keep it and not worry about the size in terms of your remodel. For us, getting a new range actually ended up being a very good decision since our new range is much more functional for baking than the old Chambers B. As a champion of vintage ranges all these years, I can't believe I'm saying it, but I don't miss it. But maybe I would be missing it if I had your Wedgewood. Sounds pretty cool!

• compostrules
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I would post a pic but can't figure out how... Circuspeanut- your kitchen is just amazing. I didn't know I could safely adjust the BTU on it. That seals the deal for me b/c the other reason I wanted a new stove was to get more "power" for wok cooking. The Ilve stove you mentioned is beautiful but costs $$$. Sweetgumacres -you're totally right about all the different ways we use the always warm stove to dry various items. I would totally miss that. Laskatz - thanks for the tips. I'll talk to the architect about all that. I'm keeping it!

• newhomeowners
    14 years ago

Good choice to keep it....since we are all so eager to see the stove..here are the details to poct a pic (thanks to buehl):

Posting a link
    There are two ways to post a link:

Using the provided boxes below the "Message" box:

Insert the link in the Optional Link URL box

Type in the description or name of the item being linked in the Name of the Link box

If this is a new Post, then you won't see these two boxes until you "preview" your message.

To insert a link inside the "Message" box,

Copy the following into the "Message" box where you want it:

Description

Next, replace the http://www.XXX/ with your link

Now, replace the Description with the description (words) you want displayed with your link.
    With either method, you will see your link when you "preview" your message

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Yay! So happy you are keeping it!

• babushka_cat
    14 years ago

i had the same dilemma. i have a wedgewood that i have been using for ~ 25 years. got it from the original little old lady owner when she moved. i even took it with me to the 3rd floor walk up apartment when i moved to SF (the movers really loved that!)

after much tossing and turning and nashing of teeth i have decided to retire the wedgewood. needs major refurbishing and decided to go for a more updated look. when the remodel happens i plan to give it away free of charge to a wedgewood lover who will love and restore her...

• compostrules
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the picture.
    If anyone else out there has a nice pics of their kitchen remodel with a Wedgewood, I'd love to see them. They're hard to come by in the glossy magazines.

Here is a link that might be useful: My stove

• 805marcy
    8 years ago

We've got a Wedgewood … we've had it for over 30 years. 4 burners, griddle in the middle, select-o-grill broiler. Every 5 years or so, I get the Lacanche bug, but I truly cannot part with my beautiful old stove. It has plenty of power -- I think what I really would miss is the double ring of flame on each of the burners. You can adjust the flame down so that there is only the inner ring of heat. The Lacanche entices me with the French plate, but on my stove, there are two simmer plate burner covers, which do an amazing job of keeping a simmer at whatever temp I need. I also have a cast iron griddle/grill that I can place over 2 of the burners, which I believe makes it a good substitute French plate. The oven is not perfect -- I will have someone come out to calibrate it, but it roasts the MOST perfect chickens. For baking, I usually just have to increase the times. I have seen a couple of Lacanches in person -- and (please don't take this the wrong way!) they really are not as sturdy as the old vintage stoves. That would not be a deal breaker for me, if I didn't already have my Wedgewood. The only way that I would ever have a Lacanche is if I had 2 stoves in our kitchen … not a bad idea! I think I could squeeze in a Cormatin or a Rully -- my husband would have me committed! My fantasy Lacanche would be Portugese blue (to go in our blue and yellow existing kitchen) with a French top …. now, just to work on my husband! He's an easy-going guy and he loves to cook too! wish me luck! ….

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Ok 805Marcy, the last thread you brought back was from 2011. this one is even OLDER. From 2010. Please don't bring back old threads as it pushes down new threads where people need help NOW.