Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jplouis

Help with kitchen layout, please

jplouis
10 years ago

I posted earlier this year about our kitchen in our new construction, but due to some site issues the plans have changed a bit. The current schematic design has placeholders for a kitchen, laundry room and half bath. Before we engage the architect or possibly bring on a kitchen designer in trying to figure out the space, I'd like to be armed with some knowledge.

I like the bench and pantry/storage wall, so I think that might stay. The shelving divider between the kitchen and living room is also something we like. The rest of it, the 1/2 bath, laundry and kitchen are all up for grabs as far as layout. I think the laundry area could shrink to make the kitchen a little bigger.

Any advice on cabinet, appliance layout and workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, the windows locations are pretty fixed as well.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• jplouis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a perspective view that might help.

• jplouis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I've been thinking of shrinking the laundry room so that a small island can be put in the kitchen, maybe a 6'x3' island. Also Maybe putting the refrigerator in the hall on the wall marked "pantry and storage".

Not sure where the induction cooktop should go. Don't want and island style hood in front of the window or overlooking the living room.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

It is not clear from the renderings where you have proposed sink, fridge, stove, etc.

Your powder room seems too narrow. Where will you put the sink?

• jplouis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fair enough. Revised plan below with proposed appliance locations.

Part of the problem is that we have the option to make the kitchen bigger. Do we leave the kitchen space as is or should we take space out of the proposed laundry room area and powder room area to make the kitchen bigger?

• jplouis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Revised perspective. We were thinking the wall with the cooktop could have open shelves and a hood like in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jplouis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is with an island. Though it just seems like way too much kitchen.

• benlinus
    10 years ago

We do not know when they praise you did sink, refrigerator, stove, etc.
    Your room looks too narrow dust. Where would you put the sink you want?

• sena01
    10 years ago

I would prefer the first layout without the island, especially because it would give the opportunity to use that remarkable hood you linked:))

Also if you shrink the laundry/bath area too much, pantry, bench area might loose its attractiveness.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler