Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with kitchen layout, please

Posted by jplouis (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 0:00

I posted earlier this year about our kitchen in our new construction, but due to some site issues the plans have changed a bit. The current schematic design has placeholders for a kitchen, laundry room and half bath. Before we engage the architect or possibly bring on a kitchen designer in trying to figure out the space, I'd like to be armed with some knowledge.

I like the bench and pantry/storage wall, so I think that might stay. The shelving divider between the kitchen and living room is also something we like. The rest of it, the 1/2 bath, laundry and kitchen are all up for grabs as far as layout. I think the laundry area could shrink to make the kitchen a little bigger.

Any advice on cabinet, appliance layout and workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, the windows locations are pretty fixed as well.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with kitchen layout, please

Here is a perspective view that might help.

o

So I've been thinking of shrinking the laundry room so that a small island can be put in the kitchen, maybe a 6'x3' island. Also Maybe putting the refrigerator in the hall on the wall marked "pantry and storage".

Not sure where the induction cooktop should go. Don't want and island style hood in front of the window or overlooking the living room.

o

It is not clear from the renderings where you have proposed sink, fridge, stove, etc.

Your powder room seems too narrow. Where will you put the sink?

o

Fair enough. Revised plan below with proposed appliance locations.

Part of the problem is that we have the option to make the kitchen bigger. Do we leave the kitchen space as is or should we take space out of the proposed laundry room area and powder room area to make the kitchen bigger?

o

Revised perspective. We were thinking the wall with the cooktop could have open shelves and a hood like in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: hood

o

This is with an island. Though it just seems like way too much kitchen.

o

We do not know when they praise you did sink, refrigerator, stove, etc.
Your room looks too narrow dust. Where would you put the sink you want?

o

I would prefer the first layout without the island, especially because it would give the opportunity to use that remarkable hood you linked:))

Also if you shrink the laundry/bath area too much, pantry, bench area might loose its attractiveness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here