Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for tiles in this stylish unfitted kitchen?

Posted by feisty68 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 23:59

I just love this kitchen and the flooring. Thinking of this tile for our bathrooms which adjoin oak floors in the hall...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for tiles in this stylish unfitted kitchen?

I traced the picture to an article about the kitchen: "Dice que las baldosas se las trajo de Francia."

The tiles were brought from France. So search for French hexagon terracotta tiles and see what comes up.

o

It's from Ellen Pompeo's house in Hollywood in Elle Decor (link below)

"The kitchen features plenty of open shelving, industrial-style stainless-steel appliances, and terra-cotta floor tiles imported from France."

Here is a link that might be useful: EP house

o

I love antique French tile. We found 6" hex tile from Arto Tile for our kitchen and love it. They are made in California and carry lots of shapes and colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arto Brick

o

These folks seem to have tiles in that look -- and check the overstock page!

Here is a link that might be useful: tiles

o

You could check out Ann Sacks.

o

I actually googled and then found a link to a place in the UK that sells salvaged tiles from a 17th century French chateau. No prices, although they sell a sample for 5 British pounds....

o

Wow - thank you for all the replies! Now I have fodder for sleuthing.

I'll take the 17th century chateau tiles please :) :) :)

1929Spanish - your kitchen is beautiful! I am planning a very similar colour for my cabinet fronts - F&B Hardwick White, and I am glad to see how great it looks.

o

I didn't post the link because I figured they'd cost as much as a fifth of the chateau. However, I was wrong, we're talking 18th and 19th century. See below.

Or here:
http://www.secondshoutout.com/product/french-reclaimed-terracotta-tiles-6%E2%80%9D-hexagonal

Here is a link that might be useful: French tiles

o

Wow nosoccermom. We truly live in an amazing world. Those tiles are lovely.

And 1929Spanish, Arto does indeed have such similar variegated hex tiles like in my inspiration photo!

I liked the idea of variegated tile because it would "bridge" nicely with the colour of the adjacent oak, without being too "matchy-matchy". I also really like these:

o

Thanks for the compliment. Our cabinets are Omega Dynasty in Pesto.

Glad you found some tile that worked. We were going for a saturated color, vut they have many to choose from. Also, they will send you samples before you order.

o

An update. These ARTO tiles are CAN$18.99/ft (not installed) - yikes! - and available by special order at a local store. The store rep said that they are very durable, thicker than average floor tiles, need to be sealed, and are designed to age - i.e. not stay looking pristine but rather show some wear over time.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 19:00

o

Yikes! Pretty, but got me thinking about this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0611571719863.html

o

Look at Ann Sacks under their "Basics"- Hacienda. The tile like this starts at about $4.00 a square foot. Of course the most colorful, like you are showing is in the highest price point which I don't know.

o

Yeah, I can understand the Saltillo thread. I am thinking about this for two tiny bathrooms though, not a large area.

Palimpsest, I'll check that out. I was thinking of a non-traditional colourway though, because I don't live in the SouthWest or a warm climate so I didn't want to strongly reference that look. That's why I like the colours that I posted about.

o

Love those floors! Hope you can find some.

o

Arto has three color/price ranges. Our color (desert) happened to fall in the lowest price range at $5.00/sq ft., but we're in So Cal near their factory. Get a copy of their catalog ao you can study the color options.

The tiles are thicker and uneven because they are handmade. Hopefully you can find something that works out.

Edit: they always have a long lead time because they custom make each order. I don't think they keep much stock on hand. Somewhere on their site, they have some existing stock for sale. I'll see if I ca find the link to the place on the site.

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here