Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrice607

Knock down Kitchen/dining room wall?

patrice607
10 years ago

Trying to convince DH that this would be an improvement. I have a 3 br ranch with an L-shaped LR/DR. The problem is I don't want to change the trim in either room, so i need some kind of transition.

Has anyone done this? Pros and cons appreciated.

Comments (18)

• juno_barks
    10 years ago

We just removed a 20-foot load-bearing wall that separated our kitchen and LR (25 foot steel beam installed). We have large windows and good views, and with the wall down, its bright and will be beautiful. For us, it made sense not just for the ambiance, but also because the kitchen shape and size was awkward.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

We kept the wall at the top so we would not have to worry about what to do with the crown molding in the DR. Then we put the pantry on the end and turned it into the DR so it looks a bit more like a piece of furniture. I painted DR/Kitchen same color (however, my opening to the LR isn't completely open - it was a formal DR so there is a little wall on either side.

You can see the LR wall separation a bit at the top of this photo:

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Ah, I just realized after re-reading our followup posts, you are talking about the trim around the windows - one being paint one wood...Truthfully, I think it might look a little odd - especially since they will be so close together. But when researching taking to wall down, I did realize I liked a little bit of separation and saw some pics where they left a bit of wall on the outside wall (so between the windows in your case). That might help your transition...
    This isn't the best picture, but see on the far side of the peninsula there is a little bit of wall left? Even if you don't do a peninsula, you might be able to leave a little bit of wall - so it's more of an 'opening' instead of completely open?

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Ottawa Cabinets & Cabinetry Laurysen Kitchens Ltd.

• patrice607
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks GW'ers for all your help!
    This is the view from my kitchen table now. The kitchen tends to be dark. I replaced the 6 ft sliding doors with 8 footers but it faces north. Taking the wall down will allow us to "borrow" sunshine from my sunny living room which has an eastern exposure.

This post was edited by patrice607 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 15:45

• patrice607
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what the view will be like if we tear down the wall. The fixture will go and we are going to repaint and get new carpet.

• patrice607
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe an arch like this between the room?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

So are you going to do any other renovating? Or just remove the wall? If the latter, you'll just have one dining table? And where do you plan for it to be? If you did an archway/opening with small side walls, the table would probably span that opening and that would seem a bit weird I think...

What about taking it to a half wall and using the kitchen side of the wall as a bench for a banquette area? Sort of like the picture below, but your half wall would be the longer (same length it is now) and your seating only against the wall, not in front of the window? And you could maybe make the wall separating the two smaller than what is shown here - maybe more like the size of a column or a little bigger?

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Marblehead Architects & Designers Michael McCloskey Design Group

Another pic similar to what I mean:

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Excelsior Design-Build Firms Lake Country Builders

This one the LR is set further left than the kitchen, but general idea...

[Contemporary Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2103) by Edina Design-Build Firms Great Neighborhood Homes

• patrice607
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy -

Beautiful pictures! I have thought about doing a half wall but one of the main reasons I want to take it all down is for entertaining. Whenever I have a lot of people over, everyone is in the kitchen. I'm thinking of keeping a table where the DR table is now and having a counter height island with a breakfast bar in the kitchen area instead of a table. The wood floor would come out to the end of the dining room. I'd carpet the living room again.

• Evan
    10 years ago

I have nothing to contribute, but I love your piano! I long for a grand piano in my house. Just have an old upright. Do you play?

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Ah. So then a large opening like Patrice mentioned above will likely be your best bet. You'll still get spill over sunlight, but there will be a bit of a wall between the two windows so you don't see the trim so much.

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Chicago Interior Designers & Decorators Michael Abrams Limited

OR, you could find a cool hutch type piece to go between the two windows - maybe to hold your 'bar' or display serving pieces or something? One like this is low enough that it won't block the light from the white-trimmed window.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Minneapolis Design-Build Firms TreHus Architects+Interior Designers+Builders

• patrice607
    Original Author
    10 years ago

EDB2N - Thanks. No, DH plays ...and sings! He has a voice somewhere between Fogelberg and Garfunkle. Lucky me! :)

KathyNY - Yes! I was originally thinking of putting a cool hutch that would have some hidden storage and have open shelves and a wine rack. It would be a great place to hide stereo equipment. I think it would have to go from floor to ceiling to look right. Maybe a built in or a hutch with a large picture or mirror over it that would extend to the ceiling?

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I'm no interior designer, but the idea of two very different trims in adjoining rooms, open to one another, does not sound appealing. It doesn't look attractive to me on your photo, either.

• patrice607
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Could I make this work by using a transition piece that is both wood and white? Maybe a shelving unit with white vertical boards and wood colored shelves?

• rantontoo
    10 years ago

The windows can be re-trimmed and stain matched to the dining room trim or trim could be painted the same color. We replaced all window trim when we replaced windows; the stain was custom matched and the new wood trim did not cost that much even though we did not DIY.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I might have missed this...but what color are your kitchen cabinets? If you're planning to have white cabinets, the white trim will look fine :)

• monicakm_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, we knocked down the wall between our kit and living room and made the living room a dining room. The wall was load bearing. We created an arched opening and added a peninsula across half of the opening. We love it :) Can't believe the difference it makes in opening up the area.

• dccurlygirl
    10 years ago

monicakm, can you share more of your kitchen and the 1st floor? Is your LR in the old DR?