Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aab0422

Please Help! Super white vs White Princess Quartzite

aab0422
9 years ago

My husband and I have been remodeling an old farmhouse. We are most excited about the kitchen and we are finally at the counter top selection point! And I just cant make a decision. So I need your help!

Like I said it is an old farmhouse. We will have white cabinets, stainless appliances and a farm house sink. We have chosen polished nickel hardware and faucets. As for the layout- it is going to be a "u-shaped" kitchen with a peninsula instead of an island. Off of the kitchen we are going to have a refurbished barn door as the bathroom door. Ideally it will be a rustic wood color but if things get too busy we may have to paint it white.

So here are my pros and cons to each:

Super white (the darker one posted in this message): I like the grey. It lacks the warmth that granite has and mimics marble. My concern is that it may be too dark...as the look that I was going for was the white carrera marble (but I just couldn't handle the scratching/staining/anxiety of marble.). I am also nervous that it may be too busy for the space especially with the barn door.

White princess (the pic with the blue tape on it-we did this to plan on where we were going to make our cuts for the peninsula): It has the more "white" look overall. And it was almost a done deal but the available slabs all have a lot of movement. I love the movement in natural stone but when my fabricator starting asking me where I wanted to cut it...it made me really nervous. All of that movement makes it kind of hard. It is making me look back at the super white again because the lack of movement. I feel like we are going to end up cutting up the movement in our not very huge kitchen!

I feel like I would have been happy with either one if I hadn't had so much time to research this and think about it. But now that I have seen the other one I go back and forth every day! I lay awake every night debating and now I am down to the wire....I have to have this chosen in the next few days! please help!

Comments (24)

• aab0422
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the White princess Quartzite. The tape is just my fabricator and I playing with how we will cut it! Is this one more modern than the Super White?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

They are both beautiful. I've just spent some time at my local yard selecting a carrara slab and I wish I could have afforded quartzite. Love it.

Personally I prefer the Super White.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I prefer the Super White, too. I think it has a very soothing, calming look, but still provides visual interest if that makes sense!

• cani
    9 years ago

Both the slabs are gorgeous. I almost bought super white until I did the etch test. It etches. Others on here have it and have had no problems.

Both of those slabs look different than the slabs I have seen locally. The princess white I have seen was basically white with blobs of gray on it. Wish we had gorgeous slabs like that around here.

• cani
    9 years ago

Both the slabs are gorgeous. I almost bought super white until I did the etch test. It etches. Others on here have it and have had no problems.

Both of those slabs look different than the slabs I have seen locally. The princess white I have seen was basically white with blobs of gray on it. Wish we had gorgeous slabs like that around here.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Cani brings up a great point. Have you played around with samples of the stone or done the bottle test on the slabs? Super White, for some owners, etches and scratches just as much as the marble you're afraid of choosing.

Visually, I also prefer the SW.

• aab0422
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the white princess up close. I wasn't a huge fan of the slab from a distance either. As for the etch test-the fabricator said that last lot of super white that he worked with was having that problem but this brand new lot didn't seem as bad. I was more worried about the staining and the water rings personally. My sample didn't etch or stain but from what I have heard that doesn't always mean everything!

If I went wih the super white...would you embrace the big white spot or cut it out? Initially I was thinking of cutting it out for a more uniform look (or at least not putting it on the breakfast bar/peninsula...but since I am going for the more white look....I am thinkin of embracing it!!!

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Super White is marble. Don't go by the word of the seller, you need to check it out for yourself. Basically, the best practices that seem to have developed around here is to treat any white, marble-looking stone with suspicion until you do your own tests.

Here is a link that might be useful: the lowdown on Super White

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Putting aside the "is it really marble" discussion because I have absolutely no idea, lol...I absolutely love the Princess White. I think the flow of it is calming and beautiful. Just my personal opinion but I think it blows the other one out of the water!!

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

As far as looks, I LOVE the superwhite. I think it would go perfect with the house style you describe. It is soft and soothing and so beautiful, but doesn't "take over". The lines in the princess seem more visually demanding, to me. If I could afford granite, super white is what I would be getting, just like that first picture. :-)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The "big white spot" is not readily apparent to me, although I can see an area of more lightness, but it seems to belong there. It just provides some of the interest. That slab is gorgeous.

I agree with Skyangel, the Super White is soothing, but doesn't take over. The Princess is lovely, but I find her a little demanding too.

• threegraces
    9 years ago

I love them both but if I had to pick just one, it would be the Princess.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I love the movement in the Princess, but the only problem I could see would be making sure the flow continues in the same direction throughout the kitchen.

• aab0422
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yea Texas gem-that's what i am worried about too. I hadn't thought of that until the last minute. My perfect slab would have the pattern if the super white but the color scheme of the white princess.... Decisions. Decisions. I love all of the feedback! Thank you so much and keep it coming!!!

• aab0422
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my plan for the pendant lights for over the peninsula. What do you think???

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I like that pendant. (I'm looking for something similar to replace my beloved pendants over my peninsula that have some issues so I popped over to the CB website.) Are you OK with the low light output? 25 watts is very low. My two glass pendants have 60 watt bulbs and seem like just enough light. Fewer would not be sufficient. Hope I didn't burst your bubble. It's so hard to find just the right pendant shape, in just the right size, with just the right lumens, at just the right price!

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

love the quartzite!!!!!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

And I was thinking they'd be too bright in your eyes.

I have two pendants with frosted glass, open on the bottom. 60W bulbs were too bright and I had to lower to 38W. I rarely turn them on anyway.

• aab0422
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have no fear!!! I was kind of worried about that-so had a back up plan. Do you think these will also be less distracting with the stone? I was going to get this one in the polished nickel. I am so back and forth about the stone still. This morning I was thinking super white and now I am thinking the princess white!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

Princess vote here.....so so pretty....

its heads above the SW....SW always leaves me "cold", not a fan of it.....

• xc60
    9 years ago

Sprtphntc,
    It's funny you mentioned "cold" that's how I felt when I looked at the Princess slabs at the stone yards, it reminds me of crushed ice and snow. It's very pretty though.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Another vote for the Princess White! I snapped pics of a couple of slabs back when I lived in Charleston, one brushed and one honed, as they were gorgeous and the finishes really made the stone "pop".

I'm also one that thinks that SW is a bit cold, and that's coming from someone who has had Carrara in her kitchen!

• hannahgwright
    7 years ago

Just found this thread. Aab0422, what did you end up choosing? I'm looking at similar options with similar hardware as well.