Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelvar

For the Tile Pros: Sealing Slate - Need Guidance

kelvar
14 years ago

We have finished tiling our backsplash - it is tumbled slate 2X4 subway tiles. We want those tiles to be color enhanced and sealed. We bought a product by Dupont called Enhancer Pro and tried it. Two coats seem to do the trick. Three coats seemed to give it a shine that I don't want to see. I just want a darker/matte look.

Now, my question: The feature design over the cooktop is another kind of slate 4X4. We LOVE the way it looks just the way it is now. What product do we use to just seal it and NOT color enhance it? We have some spare tiles to try it on. We tried the Dupont sealer/enhancer on a spare tile and hated the way it darkened. It lost all it's character. Slate is so porous. Can anyone help?

We've never worked with slate before. We are sealing/enhancing BEFORE grouting. I've read here that it's easier to clean the tiles of the grout if it's done beforehand.

I hope we're doing this right...I'm not taking a step forward on this until this design forum steps in and guides me! Thank you to all!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH