Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite Seams & Finish: light/dark - shiny, satin, antiqued or ??

Posted by remodel1958 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 23:40

We're stuck on the type of finish for our countertop - I prefer a matte look and love (love love ;-) soapstone but it is not in the budget. What do you think of satin or antiqued finish granite?

Is there any difference (positive or negative) between shiny and matte when it comes to resisting stains, water rings and showing fingerprints, etc?

One fabricator told us that a lighter color will show a seam less than a darker color.... but I've been told the opposite also

So basically, I'm at a standstill.. What's been your experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite Seams & Finish: light/dark - shiny, satin, antiqued o

My slab is typhoon bordeaux in a satin finish...here is a picture of my island after installation.

Photobucket

I love the matte look of the satin finish. It feels so fantastic to touch as well. I have not had any issues with water resistance, rings or fingerprints...to be fair, I am not yet using the kitchen fully.

o

jayav...
LOVE your island! How dramatically did putting the satin finish on your slab impact the colors and movement? I have a beautiful slab of Red Montana that I would love to have finished this way (to better blend with my soapstone countertops) but I'm fearful of losing some of the color and movement of the stone in doing so. Any advice is appreciated.
THANKS...

o

Hey nanapeg, The slab was already finished in satin when I saw it so I do not know if putting the finish impacted the color. I must say that I did see several slabs of regular polished typhoon bordeaux but the satin was so gorgeous that it was no competition at all.

o

Hey nanapeg, The slab was already finished in satin when I saw it so I do not know if putting the finish impacted the color. I must say that I did see several slabs of regular polished typhoon bordeaux but the satin was so gorgeous that it was no competition at all.

o

That's really lovely granite, jayav. I think the slightly muted color accentuates the movement of the stone. Do you have this on your countertops as well? Still wondering about the seams. We're doing cream cabinets with a pewter glaze and I like the look of a dark counter with them. Something like Cambrian Black or UbaTuba in an antique finish - I'm still curious about seams and whether the antique/satin/brushed type finishes hide or show them.

o

Yeah...I have this granite along the sides as well. Cambrian Black Antique is gorgeous...several people on this site have them. Hopefully they will respond about the seams.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here