Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quartzite polished or honed?

Posted by VADawg (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 23:33

Hi all! I've chosen Mont Blanc quartzite slabs for my kitchen countertops and island. I had a sample where one side was honed, one side polished. The polished side etched horribly, while the honed side was bulletproof. The fabricator (who is not who I got my sample from) says polished is better for quartzite, and that perhaps my polished sample was unsealed? I don't know what to believe. I fell in love with the creamy look of the honed but most of all the infallibility of it. I don't like the shiny polished look as much but I can live with if it is maintenance-free. My fabricator is going to charge me $600+ per slab to hone the slabs. What are your experiences with quartzite- honed, polished, sealed, etc? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quartzite polished or honed?

That's strange that one side etched and the other side didn't. I'd wonder what sort of coating was on the polished side, or if perhaps the etching was just much less noticeable on the honed side? Hard to say. Basically this doesn't make much sense so there is something else going on here. Did you try the scratch test?

Given the same type of marble, honed will show etching less but it will still etch. If it's true quartzite, then neither honed nor polished will etch. They key is figuring out what kind of rock you really have. That is much more important than the surface treatment.

o

Is Mont Blanc a real quartzite or a marble mislabeled as quartzite?

o

That's a good point about it possibly not being a quartzite. I saw a sample of a stone the yard called a quartzite but it was definitely granite. It had the relatively large crystal flakes that catch the light, that is characteristic of granite and that quartzite never has. The price was a granite level price too, which should have been my first warning. How is the price on your slab?

o

VADawg, how is it going with your Mont Blanc counters? We chose a Mont Blanc slab that we will hone as well. We were told it is marble.

o

VADawg, how is it going with your Mont Blanc counters? We chose a Mont Blanc slab that we will hone as well. We were told it is marble.

o

Hi TamaraTomNC, we ended up polishing our counters. Quartzite is NOT marble!!! You may want to find a different fabricator if he thinks that. It is a different stone than marble. Our fabricator gave me a sample of polished and it did great in my tests. I think the polished sample I had before was unsealed, which made a big difference. We haven't moved in yet, but the countertops are in, and I was at the house over the weekend and put a fast food cup (the kind that really sweats and leaves water everywhere) on the counter and it wiped right off. Came back the next day and it was fine.

o

Did you ever find out if you have quartzite or marble?

o

Quartzite is not marble. It is a natural stone just as granite, limestone, marble, etc are naturally occurring stones but are all different.

o

Thanks, VADawg. You must be so excited to see your kitchen coming together! I will check back with our fabricator- when we asked what the slab was, he said it was "Mont Blanc marble" Maybe I misunderstood. Either way, we love it and it will be in our kitchen! :)

o

Hello all, I just wanted to give an update on how my quartzite counters are holding up. I will post pics eventually.... Anyway, for those of you wondering, they are bullet-proof. They haven't stained, etched, or chipped. I put hot things on them. I've had wine, oil, etc spilled on them. We have the Mont Blanc quartzite that is polished. Everyone on this forum was so helpful when we were renovating our house that I wanted to return the favor. Our countertops caused me some of the most sleepless nights during our renovation because of the expense, so I hope this helps someone out there!

o

Dawg! Pictures, please! E.Y.E.C.A.N.D.Y. Pretty, pretty, please?

o

Ha! Ok here's a pic of our countertops and finished kitchen-

o

VADawg, they're beautiful, and so is your kitchen! You should now be sleeping like a baby. Good job!

o

VADawg, Thank you for sharing that your Quartzite polished gorgeous counters did not etch and are bulletproof. They are also gorgeous! I just love your kitchen! I will have to get a sample of the Mont Blanc Quartzite! Congratulations on such a gorgeous kitchen with such beautiful counters!

o

For anyone considering this stone, don't assume that all Mont Blanc slabs are quartzite. The slabs at my local stone yard are labeled as falling somewhere between granite and marble in terms of staining and durability. IOW, it will etch and stain, just not as much as other marbles, but it certainly isn't as durable as quartzite. You need to get a sample and test it yourself.

I was bummed when I learned this because I would have loved to have counters as lovely as VADawg's.

o

I am getting my superwhite quartzite slabs honed, $7/square foot. In case anyone is looking around at pricing.

o

Juno_barks and others, what does getting a slab honed due besides making it less shiny? What is the process that mitigates the etching?

o

There is no process to mitigate etching, unfortunately. The concern is that stones are sold under all kinds of names and some are quartzite and some are marble.

VADawg's slabs are quartzite, and thus won't etch. But some slabs sold as "quartzite" are actually marble. Honing doesn't effect this either way.

VADawg, nice work! Totally gorgeous. I hope you are sleeping well after a job well done. :)

o

Thanks everyone! To answer lynn2006, I think polishing helps mitigate etching because there is a sealant applied as a protectant. At least, that's what my fabricator told me.

o

Another idea floating around out there is that a honed surface doesn't show the etching to the same extent as a polished surface. There is an interesting post about etching and a marble countertop, linked below.
I like the less reflective look of the honed rock, it enhances the rock's natural vibe for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: etching on a marble countertop.

o

VA Dawg- Just gorgeous! Thanks for posting. We are about two weeks away from installation and can't wait. Your Mont Blanc looks to have more grey than ours, and we will have ours honed. Thanks so much for sharing!

o

I purchased honed quartzite, but now I'm regretting it, and would like it to be polished. My fabricator told me it would be $1000/slab to polish it! just wondering your view on honed quartzite, here is a picture.

o

Hi sgriffen, that's funny, I purchased polished and was thinking I wanted it honed originally and my fabricator said ti would be several hundred dollars. I don't know too much about honed, but I had a honed sample and a polished sample, and the polished held up like a champ. I think I remember the honed had a slight discoloration or mark from the oil that I had tested, but I really can't remember too much about the honed sample. I would ask for a sample of each (and make sure they put a sealant or whatever they will do once they're installed on each side of the sample so you get a true test!!!). I've had my polished countertops since June, and they are bulletproof and gorgeous. I put hot pots on them, cooking oil, cherry juice, etc. Of course I clean spills up right away, but so far no scratching or etching or staining. I absolutely love them. Hope that helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here