Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

nkba 2013 at kbis award winners

Gooster
10 years ago

I saw the thread on the show, and I had not seen anyone post the award winning kitchens. I apologize if this is a duplicate post.

Here's what I've been able to get from their Pinterest board -- I'm matching the names to the photos -- don't know if these are all accurate, but these were all pinned as finalists:

Best Kitchen

Source: Uploaded by user via The NKBA on Pinterest

Before and After Kitchen

Small Kitchen, 2nd Place

{{gwi:1828585}}

This one looks familiar (1st place, Medium Kitchen):

Budget Friendly or Medium Kitchen -- Same Designer, Can't tell which pic

People's Choice

{{gwi:1828588}}

Clay Lyon Honorary Award

Small Kitchen, 1st

Large Kitchen, 3rd

Medium Kitchen, 3rd Place (personally not feeling this one)

Comments (27)

• eleena
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for posting! The one that looks familiar (1st place, medium) belongs to a GWer, I am pretty sure, but cannot remember who exactly.

• eam44
    10 years ago

I recognize mamadadapaige's kitchen with the white island and green chairs. It is one of my favorites. Congrats! To those who might have missed her reveal, you can check it out at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: mamadadapaige reveal

• eleena
    10 years ago

There is a designer's (?) name on the KBIS's picture.

Did mamadadapaige design it all by herself or had a KD?

Or is she herself a KD? I couldn't tell as the thread is too long to read every post.

It is a great kitchen!

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Those snakey handles on the high-concept kitchen (med, 3rd place, I think) are unsettling. Don't think I could live with them.

Woo-hoo, Mammadadapaige's kitchen won First Place - justifiably, as it is fabulous!

Huge congratulations to her.

L.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Congratulations, mamadadapaige.
    Your kitchen still takes my breath away.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Congrats to mamadadapaige!

Thanks for posting...interesting kitchens for sure.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Nice! Yay!

• cooksnsews
    10 years ago

Just a comment about the prize winning "small" kitchens..... If that is what the NKBA thinks is small, I can only suppose that their members don't get into very many REAL homes.

• eleena
    10 years ago

I have been thinking that too, cooksnsews!

I'd take those "small" kitchens any day. LOL

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

mamadadapaige's kitchen is by far my favourite of the bunch. I do think these "small" kitchens are ridiculously labelled as "small". I always thought my own kitchen was somewhere between small and medium on average. But compared to these, it would only fit into the "miniscule" category. Ouch. I don't know much about NKBA (besides that they provide some great clearance/measurement guidelines), but I'm assuming their goal is to showcase new/hot products, materials, and styles in kitchens. I think it's a lot easier to do that with unrealistically large kitchens and budgets.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

congrats mamadadapaige!
    so funny. i have to agree the small kitchens look pretty large to me!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Way to go, Mamapaige! And they didn't even show the other side of the kitchen or the butler's pantry...such a lovely and wonderful kitchen remodel :)

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Thanks, gooster. I wouldn't have seen this otherwise.

liriodendron, if you hadn't pointed out that the snakey things are handles, I would still be clueless. I was thinking some kind of funky art thing.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did forget to congratulate mamadadapaige, so I will do that now.

I posted this as i stumbled across the press release when I was looking at other show news. Other than mamadadapaige's kitchen, which I recognized, I thought people might find them interesting.

Although I can appreciate at least something in all of them, but I especially like mamadadapaige's of course, but also the best kitchen, the turquoise kitchen, the people's choice (love brick, wouldn't want it for a bs), the before/after, etc.

Those handles on the last one seem to be a snag hazard to me. I also think the monochromatic small kitchen seems like it entered from another decade, right down to the rooster theme, but that is a personal thing.

• eve72
    10 years ago

I like the ones that have a splash of color thrown in.

• mamadadapaige
    10 years ago

Thank you! I haven't been on here in a while.. got a little tip that francoise had mentioned this so came by - you're all so nice. Its funny that my kitchen above has someone else's name on it. I am not Angela Victoria Rasmussen!

Thank you Francoise and everyone

• eleena
    10 years ago

That is what I found confusing. I was under the impression that you designed the kitchen yourself. You did, right?

• mamadadapaige
    10 years ago

eleena, yes, i did. only help i got was from all of you on GW. Angela Victoria won the Clay Lyons award. I can't even find pictures on line of this to see where its coming from with the incorrect name. If I could, I would point it out to the NKBA and ask them to fix it.

• eleena
    10 years ago

Oh, you absolutely should have them fix it!

And I have a hard time believing you are not a KD yourself, LOL. Your kitchen is absolutely stunning and "different" (in a good way) from all other kitchens.

Again, congratulations!

• mamadadapaige
    10 years ago

hi eleena,
    i am a kd, but it was a little different working on this since it is my own house. also, was the most difficult space i have worked on to date. we couldn't spend the money to rip out the chimney. the original owners flipped the staircases at some point (I think to put in a bathroom on the second floor). they crammed in something that would no longer pass inspection in this day and age and isn't really all that great for the house - I would have loved to have rectified the situation but there wasn't enough space or money to do so.

working with what I had is what i had to do and making the best of it was the challenge (and fun). when I look through my computer I realize I have about 2 dozen different floorplan options that i tried before finalizing this. when i work with homeowners as a kd i present as many viable options as I can see but never 2 dozen!

thank you!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mamadadapaige: They posted the photos to their Pinterest board. The photos are labeled correctly but the copyright watermarks are off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest

• eleena
    10 years ago

Isn't it amazing how unusual challenges lead to unique and interesting solutions?

I Goggled and found your original GW reveal with Before and After pix. No matter how hard I look, I cannot believe they are the same space, LOL.

It is too bad I no longer live in Boston area - or I would have asked you to design my kitchen. :-)

ETA:

Just saw your kitchen from 2008. So, you did that fabulous kitchen and then moved???

This post was edited by eleena on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 12:03

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I love all of mamadadapaige's kitchens....she has a few on here over the years. She definitely has such great style and taste! Congrats!!!!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The NKBA has posted additional photos on Houzz (see link below). There is also an ideabook with some commentary.

Here is a link that might be useful: NKBA Account

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I didn't see this until today! congrats mama!

I found it by clicking on my regional magazine, and the article was about 10 kitchen remodeling ideas. And there it was! Your kitchen! Does NKBA own the rights to the photos? Just curious, that's who is credited in the piece.

Here's a link to where I saw it. I love Google, I took the photo, and did a photo image search for it. If you haven't done that, you should! You would be amazed at all the places your kitchen is!

Here is a link that might be useful: Susquehanna Style

• lakeaffect
    10 years ago

Just looking at my September/October New England Home mag and mamadadapaige's kitchen is featured in a "Special Focus: Kitchen and Bath Design" section. And, IMO, it is the nicest of all featured, but I'm pretty sure I'm biased towards GW kitchens.

sandyponder

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Can anyone figure out what the island hood is for in the first photo? Is there a fire pit on the other side of the counter?