Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpg2004

which direction for rectangular floor tiles?

mpg2004
10 years ago

Hi,

We're going to use 12x24 rectangular floor tiles, laid in a staggered brick pattern. My question is, which way should the tiles run? I've copied a picture of our kitchen area below. Would you have the long ends of the rectangle tiles go parallel to the island, (making the long space seem even longer) or the other way? I've tried sketching out the different tile layouts but still can't make up my mind!

thanks,
Michelle

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• mpg2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I played around with the layouts some more. The scale isn't perfect (the tile is shown about 20% smaller than it actually is), but it helps me visualize the layout. We are going with grout that is similar to the tile color.

Tile parallel to the island:
    {{!gwi}}

Tile perpendicular to the island:

Or what about a non-diagonal herringbone pattern:

Which layout looks best? If it makes a difference, our backsplash will be 3x6 tiles in a brick-lay pattern, with the same tiles set in a diagonal herringbone above the cooktop area.

thanks!
    Michelle

• amykath
    10 years ago

I really like your first design. It flows very well!

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I 100 percent agree with EAM44.

• FamCook
    10 years ago

I really like the first one. The herringbone is nice too, but I feel like that may be a little trendy. If that's what you want then great, but just something to think about.

Funny the second one made me immediately shudder. It looks so busy and unsettling to me. Interesting that a tile placement would do that. Just my two cents.

• beth
    10 years ago

One. I agree with EAM44, and also had the same reaction as FamCook!

The visual on One also flows nicely into the open side of your kitchen and makes it look bigger - at least in the drawing.

• Evan
    10 years ago

I agree the first one looks the best. I know with hardwood, you're supposed to run perpendicular to the floor joists. Does this matter with tile? I've never laid tile, so I don't know.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Where are your natural light sources, windows and doors? Is the tile only in the kitchen or does it extend to adjacent areas? What will it transition to and does that material have a distinct pattern? All things to consider.

What might work best in isolation of the kitchen might not be the best in the overall picture. In our old house, we ran wood through the main living area, including kitchen, the planks were laid lengthwise from the front door to the family room windows. This put them running perpendicular to the kitchen peninsula but made much more sense for the whole house.

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

Not to confuse you, but I also like the first drawing and had exactly the same *shudder* reaction as others when I looked at the 2nd design. Then I looked down at my floors and see I have my 16 x 24 tiles running exactly like your 2nd drawing and it is definitely the right orientation for our space. One thing that I note is our floor looks a lot more subtle than the drawings because the spacing between the tiles is minimal and the grout blends with the tile.

• mpg2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I talked it over with the contractor this am, and decided (as many of you suggested!) that laying them in the direction shown in drawing #1 makes the most sense. So far, the part they've done looks good :) Thanks for the opinions!

Michelle

• maggie2020
    8 years ago

it looks beautiful!! how did you move the kitchen island?

• Cathy B
    8 years ago

Great to see your sketches - very helpful, as I had a similar question. Parallel to the island will also flow with the hardwood in the adjoining room. Next, to find the right tile.