Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can rail lighting/under cab molding be too thick?

Posted by Skyangel23 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 23:30

We are doing white shaker-style cabinets, stock, nothing custom. This is the under cabinet molding option. It is 1 1/2 thick and seems really tall too me. Is light rail normally this thick/tall? I feel like it might be too fancy/intrusive for the simpler shaker style. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can rail lighting/under cab molding be too thick?

sorry for the sideways pic, here it is installed:

o

Yeah, I think it looks too thick. I'd look for something more slender. I'm not positive it's the best match for the cabinet style either. Will you cabinets have a crown too? I'd want it to coordinate with the crown style.

o

I had the same issue with my options. I finally found other trim pieces they carried, not called light rail, and picked one of those. My fronts have a bit more detail than shaker, but I still wanted something smaller and simpler than their light rail options. I think mine are only about 3/4" tall, 1" max. This isnt the best picture of it, but you get the idea. I also wanted straight lines, not 'beads'. Mine just has a slight chamfer (?) on one edge.

o

My cabinet shop standard light rail was close to what you are showing. I requested a straight 3/4" light rail be used instead, with no fussy edges. This will go better with the plain shaker cabinet style that I am also using.

o

That is too much, as others have said ask for something smaller and simpler. Not even accounting for the fact that it is too elaborate something that deep might affect trying to put something under the cabinet. In my old kitchen the light rail prevented us from fitting our mixer under the cabinet.

o

Thank you for the replies, they solidified my gut feeling. I think a 3/4" rail is much more attractive and will go with our cabinet style. I have an email in to the KD to see what else they have. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here