Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdfacc_gw

Do You Have Travertine Flooring?

mdfacc
14 years ago

I'm going to renovate a kitchen with 17 year-old white oak floors (2.25 inch strips, not the highest quality grade) in a natural or honey color. I plan to install cherry cabinets in a "cranberry" color from Lowe's (Diamond line).

The floor is damaged (mainly water damage from defective dishwasher), so I can refinish it and use similar light-colored stain to contrast with the cabinet color, or I can replace it.

I like travertine, but I wonder how it would stand up to food and beverage spills, and other wear-and-tear. Also, I worry about slippery floors. I'd probably go with honed, filled travertine, which might be slick when wet. Please let me know about your experience with travertine, especially for kitchen flooring. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• sally123
    14 years ago

I have travertine not just in my kitchen but through a good portion of my house (not the living room or bedrooms). It is the easiest stuff in the world--easy to keep clean but looks the same whether it is clean or not. Some people don't like the cold of tile but I am in southern California and it has never bothered me. It is rougher and has more traction than regular tile and seems indestructible. Some also feel that it is harder on the back or feet when standing on it for long but--again--I have never had a problem with it. I think nothing beats the look of natural stone or wood. I have both in my house and the wood is more fragile by far.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

The honed travertine, like linoleum, doesn't give much traction. I didn't get it because my dogs would likely injure a hip when spinning out around a corner. The brushed and chiseled finish is OK for the dogs (and everyone else) if you like that look. I have that in my front entry and hall; even my old dog can walk easily on that.

If your oak floor was wet long enough to turn black, it probably can't be refinished.

If you decide on travertine, you'll need to make certain your subfloor is stiff enought to prevent the stone from cracking. Quality tile itself isn't that expensive (check wholesale internet sites-the big box store stuff is junk) but correct installation is labor intensive and isolation membranes will add a couple dollars/sq ft.

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

I just got a sample of this tile, and it is BEAUTIFUL. Looks a lot like travertine I think. Comes either glazed or without glaze. Colorbody, rectified.

Here is a link that might be useful: AO Allora - Sabbia

• doingygirl
    14 years ago

We have chiseled edge honed travertine tile throughout our kitchen and powder room. I love the look of it as well as it's durability. We have radiant floor heat so that eliminates the cold tile factor in the winter. It you decide on travertine floors make sure you get the tile and grout sealed during the installation. I would also have the installer fill any holes if you purchase stone that has some holes in it.

• gobruno
    14 years ago

We may have had really poor quality travertine in our last house, but I absolutely hated it for the kitchen. It was impossible to keep clean and stains just set in. It looked like it had a perpetual coat of dirt on it. I do love the look of it though, and opted to put it in our bathroom at this new house. We had travertine all over our house (it was in the SW), and the stuff in the bathroom fared pretty well bc it was low traffic and not prone to spills. Anyway, like I said, it could have been that our travertine was a poor quality or poorly sealed, but I just didn't want to risk it with this house bc it would have been such a permanent decision. Good luck!

• Fori
    14 years ago

I have honed travertine on the floor in my kids' bath. It's pretty if you like brown and it feels very nice underfoot. It hasn't been tested with food but it's been tested with everything toilet-training kids can throw and the cleaning products that happen to be around (Lysol, Windex, 409, etc.). My spouse finds it slippery by the end of bathtime; I guess I'm more sure footed, but I've seen some slips.

• amykath
    14 years ago

ok first I want your kitchen Sally! WOW.... I LOVE IT!

Ok.. back to the topic, I agree with Sally, I had travertine in my old house throughout most of the first level and it was amazing. It was honed and filled and hid every bit of dog hair and dirt and was indistructable!

Here is a photo... and I miss the heck out of that kitchen!

{{gwi:1588093}}

• lagrant
    14 years ago

I have honed and filled ivory travertine in my kitchen and one bathroom and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Mine is sealed and, despite 5 teenagers, I do not have one stain. It hides dirt very well - to the point that I'm always appalled when I clean them because I had no clue they were THAT dirty in the first place!

I would not hesitate to put them in a kitchen - just seal them once a year and you should be good to go. I am in the mid-atlatic and opted to add underfloor heating. During the summer I love how cool they stay, but need to turn the floor heat on low in the winter.

• mdfacc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience with Travertine, everyone. The perspectives are very helpful.

• cindyinct
    14 years ago

If you have wood floors and they can be repaired, I would recommend going that route. I don't know where you live, but tile is very cold, and if you drop something on the floor, it will break. Not so much with wood. Wood is very warm, and a light wood floor will contrast nicely with the cinnamon cherry cabinets. If you had linoleum, I'd say sure, go ahead and get the travertine. But because you have hardwood that can be saved, go for it! That's my opinion for what its worth.

P.S. aktillery - I have always loved your kitchen. I can't believe you don't live there anymore!

• sally123
    14 years ago

Thanks, aktillery!

• mdfacc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cindy, I've interviewed contractors who have assured me that the wood can be restored to its original state without difficulty. That route would be less expensive than a stone replacement.

I live in Ohio, so winters are cold, but I'm not bothered by the temperature of the ceramic tile in the bathroom. Still not sure which way to go.

• amykath
    14 years ago

Thank you Cindy! I miss it so much! Unfortunately I got a divorce and my ex-husband still is lucky enough to live there. Gotta tell you it is hard bc I put every inch of my self into that.

I really appreciate your kind words about my old kitchen.

Amy