Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spincrazy25_gw

Meeting cabinet guy tomorrow...and had last minute idea!

spincrazy25
15 years ago

I'm hoping for a tie-breaker. DH and I like both plans, but differ on a favorite. Help!

2a was the frontrunner. Pros: Lots of upper and lower cab space, DH happy with fridge location. Cons: Maybe confining, don't think one level counter would work.

{{gwi:1794441}}

Came up with this today. Pros: Gives the feel of island that I wanted, one level counter. Cons: Location of fridge doesn't allow the freezer to open fully. Dishwasher location?

Comments (12)

• kelleg69
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you already own the fridge? If not, couldn't you do French doors on top and the bottom pullout freezer? i like the look of the second one. I do think not being able to open the freezer might be annoying.

I am no layout expert, so I hope others will chime in.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Of the two, I like 2a the best...probably no surprise there!

Option 2a:

Why won't a one-level counter work in 2a? I think it would work just as well in 2a as in 4. I like one-level better.

I think you have quite a bit more storage w/this layout.

BTW...if the cabinet in the corner faces the breakfast nook, then you will only need 3" for filler on the base of the "U" to allow the DW to open past any drawer handles on the leg of the "U" adjacent to it. You'll also need 3" on the leg but, if you use a 27"W cabinet in that corner, then the 3" of filler will be automatically provided by the 27" cabinet (27" - 24" = 3")

It actually looks like both the peninsula cabinets face the breakfast nook...is this the case? If so, then you'll need even less filler on the base of the "U" since you won't have doors/drawers & handles to clear...maybe only 1" or 2". OR, is that cabinet on the leg a 2-way cabinet...i.e., opens from both sides?

The refrigerator location in this layout is a really big "pro"...

(1) It's easily accessed from the locations I think will be most used w/o interfering w/those working in the kitchen (from FR/LR, counter seating, breakfast nook)...but it's still easily accessed from the kitchen as well.

(2) It's close to the MW...most MW'd items come from the refrigerator or freezer so it's usually a good idea to have the MW & refrigerator fairly close to each other.

Another really big plus for this layout is the workspace. You have plenty of room to prep on one side of the sink while leaving plenty of room for dirty dish storage (or another prepper) on the other side. The range has plenty of work room & landing space around it. Since there's no sink on the range side, most likely you will prep on the sink run...so the most counterspace is where it will be used the most. There's still enough space for prepping next to the range for more immediate needs (like adding spices or other ingredients while cooking). I envision this work zone/space breakdown:

Unfortunately, though, the range is not protected from through traffic...that's the only real "con" I see w/this layout. But, at least the prepping [w/knives :-) ] will be protected!

Option 4:

An additional "pro" for this layout is that the range is protected somewhat from traffic through the kitchen. The peninsula leg protects it from thru traffic from the breakfast nook side.

Two additional "cons" for it are:

(1) The DW currently opens into the aisle b/w the peninsula & the sink run & the work room on the left of the sink is too small. If you moved the DW to the other side of the sink, the sink is then in that aisle, but at least you get better work space around the sink and you might even be able to squeeze in a 3" filler to allow the freezer to open more fully...

(2) The refrigerator is "trapped" in the kitchen...meaning to get to it from the counter seating, breakfast nook, or FR you have to go through the entire kitchen. Yes, it's convenient to the DR, but I think the total time spent at the counter & breakfast nook will outweigh the DR.

If you're like us, the DR is really only for dinner when we're all together...the counter is used for breakfast & lunch (week - b/c of school & work times/weekends - b/c of various sports activity times). So the counter seating is used more often than the DR (plus the FR is sometimes used when there's only one or two of us.)

In both layouts you will still have the issue of crossing from one side of the kitchen to the other w/a hot pot of water to drain pasta, etc. You might be able to fit a prep sink on the peninsula in layout 4, but you will lose at least 18" of cabinet space for it. You could put it in the corner, but then you'd lose 36"x36" of cabinet space. If you want a prep sink, it will have to be layout 4 to be useful.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Option 4 wouldn't work for any fridge that has any hinges on the left side...and the open dw will block access to the room.

I like the raised bar for 2a, but have you tried one level for a more island like look from the family room? Or go back to Bmorepanic's favorite idea of eliminating the peninsula...Will that give you the same look as 4?

In 2a I still favor swapping sink and dw so the sink is more centered in the view from the family room, which may contribute to the island look.

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I tried sketching with onel level and thought it looked a little weird since it turned w/ the peninsula. Plus I'm not sure about power access if I dont have a raised portion to to put an out let on. I'm guessing I would wanted to use power on the peninsula is needed.
    We decided we didn't like the idea of eliminating the peninsula since it was way too open and seemed to be a waste of space.
    Thanks for your comments so far!

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

I am trying restricting myself to technical comments.

The overhang for seating isn't controlled by the depth of the stools - its how much room needs to exist underneath for peoples knees. A bar height overhang needs 12" clear underneath the overhang(before you get to the pony wall). A counter height overhang is supposed to have 15" clear before the back of the cabinets or wall-let. People cheat this all the time by 2 or three inches. If you try to use less, even kids don't fit.

You have omitted the wall that shows next to the ref in the 3-d view of the second drawing when you did the floor plan. A wall takes up to to 3 times the width of a ref panel - allow 5 to 6 inches for the depth of a "real wall" and allow 2-3 inches for a wall with studs turned sideways. Allow 1.5 inches for a ref panel. Most cabinet lines void the warranty if you can't attach both sides...

In the second one, really think about including the filler on the garage side of the ref. The ref handles need more space on the sides for the doors to open to 90 degrees. This is true for just about all refs. In an sxs, you pretty want the doors to be able to open to 110 degrees to be able to open the drawers. Since the crowded part would be the freezer in an sxs, you can certainly live with pulling the entire unit forward when you want to clean it.

Landing space for an sxs OR a french door is behind the ref. Landing space for a bottom freezer is to the side opposite the hinges.

Well, this is on the border between technical and layout.

In the second one, push the dishwasher to one edge or the other and consolidate all the cabinet space into the other side. Symmetry OF the cabinets isn't very important here - all three sides are seen and the "inside the kitchen" view of the cabinets won't actually be symmetrical - the sink will never end up in exactly the right place as seen from that vantage and it will look goofy from the other two.

• teppy
    15 years ago

there are always going to be times when you will need to open those freezer doors all the way. Don't back yourself into a corner, literally. If you like that plan best, I see where you could take maybe some of the counter space to the right of the fridge, and add it to the left side of the fridge. Maybe you could use it for a ceiling to floor extra pantry or storage space? you can never have too much of that.

If you just do not have any space to cut to the left side of the sink to give it to the left side of the fridge, could you possibly push that whole section out another foot or so? Just one extra foot added to the peninsula would give enough space to the left of the fridge to get that door open all the way.

Or, you could even move your stove over a little to the left and put your fridge on that wall and move the pantry next to the sink.

personally overall, i like the look of opt2 better. i like the built in hutch and i think it adds to the look of the kitchen overall. and i agree with buehl, why not make the counter on the peninsula one level in opt 2? i also like one level the best for an island or peninsula. its just a smoother less choppy look.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Option 2a because:
    As someone IRL who has lived with a freezer that does not open fully for 9 years (prior owner did this) I would advise against putting it into any new plan where other options are available.

The current fridge will give out at some point and it can be replaced with one that will improve design 2a further. That fridge location makes more sense if your kids spend their time in the family room and breakfast area.

Agree with Buehl, one level island will work for this plan if you like it in plan 4 and it comes to close to your island dream.

Agree with Rhome, you loose continuous counter space by switching the DW to the other side but you gain social time with sink more centered. This comes down to personal preference since I favored the other way in an earlier thread.

• dtchgrl
    15 years ago

I like 2a better.
    The workspaces/zones make more sense. I would not want anyone who wanted a drink or snack from the refridg to trapse completely through the kitchen.
    Usually I am a big fan of one-level islands...except when the sink is in the island and it faces a main living area. I would would the "shield" of the upper level eating/hanging out space to protect my main sink area/working area.
    To me, for whatever reason, the overall "look" of 2a is better as well.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I"m for 2a as well for all of the reasons already mentioned. I also would propose looking at a one level overhang again. You can always investigate mocketts or some kind of pop up outlet if your code allows. If you have a deep sink 9-10" splashing shouldn't be an issue. It looks as if you have the depth to do a 30" deep sink run which would also eliminate the sink/splashing issue and allow you a single level overhang.

• plllog
    15 years ago

Another vote for 2a. Others have given you all the technical reasons, so I'll give my emotional response: 2a looks inviting and like I'd want to go in there and cook. 4 looks cramped and confusing and like I want to go out to eat. I totally get what you were trying to do, but you're losing all the good that you've developed over time in creating the old design.

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

Put me down for 2a too. I even like it with the two level island - which I originally didn't like, but in your plan, I really do like it. It kind of gives that separation between kitchen and living room.

I also wanted to mention that I love your 3D mockups!

• spincrazy25
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Melanie1422! I like to color the line drawings because I'm so anal, but it really helps my DH too!

Well- 2A it is! I was with my cabinet guy for almost 4 HOURS going through the components. It was so hard! Hopefully now he can crunch some numbers to get me back within my budget! I'll be posting some pics and questions later. Thanks All!