Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Two tone kitchen in a small galley?

vdinli
10 years ago

I have always envisioned my kitchen in a medium tone stain. However, it is a small galley with only a garden window for natural light. Will two tone kitchen (with a off white painted wall and stained base cabinets) be better to lighten it up and not feel like the cabinets are encroaching on us?
Here's the current plan

We are too messy to take care of painted cabinets so I want to avoid them for base cabinets for sure. I tried looking on Houzz but I can't seem to find any galleys with two tone. Is it because the visual effect of a two tone is lost in a galley? I am wondering if it is worth it or should I just play with lighting to make it feel lighter. Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• wamot
    10 years ago

I had similar one tone stained cabinets in my kitchen, and I like it. Usually is it for larger kitchen to use a different tone on island to highlight.....it might be too busy for a smaller kitchen: first tone, second tone, counter, backsplash, flooring, wall/ceiling, appliances.....

• jerzeegirl
    10 years ago

I have a smallish two tone kitchen It's reminiscent of a galley, although it does have a small peninsula and the aisle between the two sides is not narrow. It also does not get a whole lot of natural light. The two tone cabinets with the lighter cabinets on top really opened up the space. We used the dark walnut cabinets selectively, only on the bottom and only on one side of the kitchen, because we wanted to keep it light and airy but loved the furniture like quality of the darker cabinets.What also makes the kitchen seem larger than it is is that we put in a lot of recessed cans (6 of them) as well as track lighting over the peninsula and the floor is a lighter color. If you don't like painted, you can do natural maple on top and a espresso stained maple on the bottom and that would look splendid!

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wamot, I know what you mean-too many competing elements. It has to be a coherent choice but as jerzeegirl shows it can be pulled off.
    Jerzeegirl, that's beautiful! Thanks for the tip on natural maple and espresso combo. I hadn't thought of that.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I have cherry cabs in a small U with no windows. I used a chimney hood to eliminate the over-hood cab. My thinking was why pay $400 for a useless cabinet when I could put that money into a nicer hood. Your range wall would look very nice with tile behind the hood to separate the two cabinets.

You could use a glass cabinet over the sink for dishes. Eliminate more door by putting the microwave in the upper next to the pantry instead of using up your drawer space. You might then put the DW to the left of your sink so you can have a drawer base under the micro. It will be easier to unload into the uppers with the DW on your left. That small micro (or is it an oven?) compromises the entire layout. Too many small drawers! I would want the sink on the peninsula because I've never washed dishes with a cabinet at eye level. I'd look at that wall again.

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

May_flowers, thanks for your thoughts on the two tone and the layout. I had originally planned a hood too but in layout changes, the walkway opposite the range got closed up. I didn't think a hood would make much of a visual statement when you are looking at it from only four feet away. I know I will lose most of the cabinet above to venting but figured something is better than nothing in this tiny kitchen.
    I will seriously consider moving the microwave and look at glass uppers too. I know for our family's level(or lack) of cleanliness, a sink we can't see from the front door is better. I find it very dispiriting to walk through the front door and see a pile of dishes.
    Thank you once again

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

I have a small galley..I would leave the mwave under counter,perhaps even move it to the very end position. When cooking in such a kitchen one uses the mwave quite a bit for prompt defrosting/cooking of veg/reheating/keeping warm/etc. As well, other people come in and use the mwave for various things...therefore you want that longer stretch of counter accessible. Placing mwave to right of sink will give you a problem as counter is limited. I like the plan you have, as well the consistent brown stain everywhere.Spend money on great counters and backsplash-it will give a simple kitchen a bit of zing-its the detail that will make the difference as opposed to switching out cabinet finishes-the space is just too streamlined and not enough zones or differentiated areas to make it worthwhile. Maybe raise up the height of cab above sink a couple inches and get a good looking faucet with your undermount deep single sink.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I've been playing around with planning a teeny tiny two tone kitchen. Here are some examples I found.

More pictures here:
    www.thriftylittleblog.com/2010/05/kitchen-afters.html

And link below.

Also google two-tone wood kitchens if you're not looking for espresso wood lowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: two-tone galley kitchens

• vdinli
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, herbflavor. That was my thought process too to put the microwave/speed oven there-will keep the breakfast crowd out of my way when I am getting lunch and dinner ready in the morning.
    nosoccermom, thank you for the links. I had not come across them on my own. I am not sure I want such a big contrast between the stark white and espresso cabinets-that seems to be the default. Good Luck with your project.